• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

I forgot the 4-4 draw against Northampton Town!

That's definitely in the top 3!

Peter Clarke's equaliser at the bridge is probably my favourite Cup moment.
Same here, that was something very very special. And remember how close we were to going 2-0 up in the replay ( revel header). I always felt that they would not have recovered from 2-0 ——- But we will never know........?

My first FA cup game was QPR in front of 18,000. They were a top side back then and we came from 2-0 down for a draw.
I was at the Bournmouth win in the early 80’s

Favourite has to be the 1-0 win over Watford..... The greatest ever Monday night game in front of 15,000. None of us gave a hoot about selection, formations, timing of subs, or even the exact meterage of Cawstons ventures out to claim a cross.....No we were together as one, only thing that mattered was victory. Who cared how ugly, the prize was the best team in Europe. The shear joy of that pitch invasion would put David Pleat to shame.

Sadly for you younger fans you will never get those moments. Like so many of life’s simple joys the FA cup has been ruined by those that claim to know best.
Yeah my favourite too, the noise when that goal went in and the surge in the west stand was frightening!!

I will never forget the 2-0 win at high flying Swindon, Don Rodgers and all. In 6O years of supporting, probably THE most memorable achievement. A magic atmosphere too. Marmalade belting out Obla Di, Obla Da.....fab-u-lous darling.

Great list Big Daddy but I think that list is missing some of the early FA cup qualifying matches for example 1908/09 we played Leyton away 1st qualifying round then Shoebury Garrison in 2nd Qualifying round and someone else in 3rd Qualifying round.
Yes you are right thanks for pointing it out.

I have amended the list now to include some of the very early qualifying rounds, but unfortunately some of this data for these early qualifying rounds (Pre 1925) does not seem to be available, but will keep looking.

Great list that 'Big Dady'. :Thumbs up:

I was looking for that very thing yesterday, when trying to work out how many home ties we've had in recent years.

Same here, that was something very very special. And remember how close we were to going 2-0 up in the replay ( revel header). I always felt that they would not have recovered from 2-0 ——- But we will never know........?

yeah going 1 up through AB was pretty good but 2-0 would have been very interesting!

Our FA cup exploits since 1997 are a bit average, aren't they? Aside from the Chelsea game.

For me -

Beating Aston Villa when they were in Division 3 for the only time in their history (we were in Div 4)

The QPR home game - so nearly came back from 2-0 down to win

The Chelsea game(s)

Stuart Parker's last minute winner v Cardiff to put us into the 5th round and then Derby away when we lost 3-2

The Liverpool home game

I missed the great exploits in 68/9 (started supporting the season after) and also the other high scoring game when we beat Weymouth 7-0. Actually, to this day I have never seen Southend score or concede 6 or more in any competition (aside from a friendly against Canvey when I think we got 7). I've missed every time it's happened, which has been plenty.

Maybe Crawley will be the game that alters that?

My most recent memory of the FA Cup was when we played Hull in the 4th round of the Cup in 2014. It was really bigged up in the National and local press as The Chocolate Orange had managed both sides and we had seen off our old chums Millwall in a previous round. On the morning of the game we took delivery of our new kitchen from Wren and the two blokes arrived early (07:30) having driven overnight from Hull. They were nice guys so I started the cup game conversation with them and asked if they were staying down for the game. "Not us mate, we both support Manchester Utd, who are your lot playing then?" That sticks in my memory!!

Distant memories of QPR, Derby away (the first time), Exeter away (I remember more of the train journey than the match), Liverpool of course and more recently you can't get any better than Chelsea away.

Derby (first game) is my other top three FA cup memory.

I missed the Villa and QPR games, sadly.

Great, so our best FA Cup memories are apparently 1-0 defeats away at Everton and at Wolves in the League Cup (WTF?).

I probably should have asked favourite FA Cup goal instead.

That 89th minute defeat at Wolves -while hard to take-wasn't such a bad game.The best cup game of that particular season- and many others- though was the wonderful 6-1 away win at Bournemouth in the old League Cup,wearing our Scotland shirts.A night to remember for many a year. Though the great away win at Swindon and the earlier home wins in 68/9 against Brentwood and Kings Lynn in the FA Cup take some beating.

Last edited:
To start off with must be the 2 games v Kings Lynn and Brentwood.
The 70-71 season V Weymouth(Garner scored 3 or 4),turned up to the Dagenham game expecting another hammering,but only won 1-0.Then sadly went and got beat by Carlisle and we had a big crowd because the winner was home next round v Spurs.
73-74...i still cannot get over that awful day V Boreham Wood
74-75.A P Leamington away!!!,Ilford was good...but then those two great games v QPR....and the North bank

Last edited:
Only been to 2 matches. Hull at home and I went to Hereford away and I thought we lost 1-0 but big daddy shows that as a home match. I vividly remember the coach trip back as the worst hours of my life shocking match, shocking long journey with a stop for warm soggy fish and chips

75-76..saw the first 3 cup games,then it went down hill for me starting with missing the next few moths games because of some mistaken identity
76-77..Exeter away.got badly assaulted coming back from the game at Paddington st.Then that 0-4 defeat v Chester,again wrong place,wrong time!!
77-78..went to all those games..Leamington again not a nice place and ending up with my/our mate Carlos(RIP pal) at Derby.
78-79..beating Watford at home as has been written also the first game in the Rookery.But then the CREM DE LA CREM games v the BEST team in Europe,Liverpool.
After those 2 games..nothing could match them

Only been to 2 matches. Hull at home and I went to Hereford away and I thought we lost 1-0 but big daddy shows that as a home match. I vividly remember the coach trip back as the worst hours of my life shocking match, shocking long journey with a stop for warm soggy fish and chips

If the Hereford one was the 3-1 defeat, I was there as well.

Not only did we get beaten by Hereford, they invaded the pitch and tried to get in our end after the final whistle.

We have played Hereford twice in the FA Cup 1st Round.

22/11/1980 FA Cup 1st Round at Home against Hereford we lost 1-0 Att. 4,922
21/11/1981 FA Cup 1st Round Away against Hereford we lost 3-1 Att. 5,310 (Gray scored for us)

Back