• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup Memories

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
The greatest cup competition in the world is nearly upon us again.

What are your fondest memories in the FA Cup - someone must be old enough to remember us winning a match in it!

Has to be all the games in 68/9.Bournmouth and Wolves away in the league cup.

Brentwood,Kings Lynn at home in the FA Cup plus Swindon and Mansfield away.

Last edited:
So many times I seem to have seen us lose.

I do remember winning 2-0 away at Bournemouth and having a great day out.

However, my best one has to be Everton away. Despite losing, the second half was the best 45 minutes I've ever seen from a Southend side. Even the Everton fans stayed to applaud us off at the end!

Great, so our best FA Cup memories are apparently 1-0 defeats away at Everton and at Wolves in the League Cup (WTF?).

I probably should have asked favourite FA Cup goal instead.

I have fond memories of Chesterfield away - Tesfaye Bramble scoring at Saltergate (a draw counted as an upset back then) and then a decade or so later Anthony Straker morphing into Gareth Bale at their new ground as we romped to a 3-1 victory.

vs Canvey Island. I wasn't at the game, it was very early in my time as a Shrimper. I had football training indoors at our schools sports centre, and it had a small bar area that was playing the game. We didn't have Sky at home so this was a touch of luck that I got to watch it at all.

A friend of mine also supported Canvey as his second team. His Dad played for them in the 60's and they went to most games through school. He always came in on a Monday signing Lee Boylan something or another. It's safe to say neither of us trained that night.

I can't think of any other time where I've been sat in front of the TV with supporters of the opposition. I'm sure it happens a lot in PL, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham supporters etc. It was nice to have that head-to-head display of emotions, anger, joy, relief. The scoreline helped.

Last edited:
vs Canvey Island. I wasn't at the game but it was very early it my time as a Shrimper. I had football training indoors at our schools sports centre, and it had a small bar area that was playing the game. We didn't have Sky a home so this was it touch of luck that I got to watch it at all.

A friend of mine was also supported Canvey as his second team. His Dad played for them in the 60's and they went to most games through school. He always came in on a Monday signing Lee Boylan something or another. It's safe to say neither of us trained that night.

I can't think of any of time where I've been sat in front of the TV with supporters of the opposition. I'm sure it happens a lot in PL, Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham supporters etc. It was nice to have that head-to-head displays of emotions, anger, joy, relief. The scoreline helped.

Was that the first or second one?

Scott Forbes in the rain or Jay Smith in the last minute after Mark Warren had been sent off?

We must be one of the very few EFL clubs that have never beaten a top division side in the FA cup.

Not sure how many chances we have had in our history. Must be about 20? Will try and find out.

The 2-2 with QPR, remember the goals so well. Even the 3-2 loss at Derby was a great day out.

Was that the first or second one?

Scott Forbes in the rain or Jay Smith in the last minute after Mark Warren had been sent off?

That would've been the second. I don't remember too many goals, but I always remember Jay Smith's goals.

Last edited:
My first FA cup game was QPR in front of 18,000. They were a top side back then and we came from 2-0 down for a draw.
I was at the Bournmouth win in the early 80’s

Favourite has to be the 1-0 win over Watford..... The greatest ever Monday night game in front of 15,000. None of us gave a hoot about selection, formations, timing of subs, or even the exact meterage of Cawstons ventures out to claim a cross.....No we were together as one, only thing that mattered was victory. Who cared how ugly, the prize was the best team in Europe. The shear joy of that pitch invasion would put David Pleat to shame.

Sadly for you younger fans you will never get those moments. Like so many of life’s simple joys the FA cup has been ruined by those that claim to know best.

As my first F.A. Cup game was in 1969, there are too many to mention & reflect upon.
Just glad I didn't start watching us in this comp, in the last 9 years!

Thanks to Big Daddy's list above I make that 28 FA cup ties against top division sides and not one win. Worse than I thought.

Back