• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Eurovision Song Contest, Lol.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
So here we are again, the Eurovision Song Contest. I know someone that went to one a few years ago, and he said it was a wild gay party, with all sorts of sexual things going on afterwards as different nationalities met outside the venue. I have nothing against gays at all, but that's what it's become for the live audience. As the UK, we enter every year, and every year we have no chance, because it's become political and the rest of Europe doesn't like us. We used to have big name entries, like Sandie Shaw, Cliff Richard, Lulu, Brotherhood of Man, Bucks Fizz. This year we have Michael Rice(Who?) from Hartlepool. A so called expert on the tele just said we have an excellent song and singer with every chance of winning this year. Has she not been watching the last 20 years, we have no chance. Even if we had the best song and singer, we could not possibly win it nowadays. We might get a few points from that other great European nation tho........Australia, Lol. Yes, Australia have been in the Eurovision song contest since 2015.

Never understood why this competition was ever created. Long overdue we cease submitting an entry and use the tv viewing time for broadcasting something of actual interest, instead it's another 3.5+ hours tomorrow night of utter cr*p !!

Bury it in a desert and forget about it forever. Like that E.T game on the Atari

Worth a lot of money now that game, and I did once have it.......

As for Eurovision. Meh, it's ****e, always has been and remind me when Israel & Australia were in Europe?

Same but for about 10. I hear there’s another Lordi type this year
God help us!

To be honest, for quite a few years I was tuning in out of nothing but teary eyed nostalgia - I started watching it in the mid-late '70s with my folks, the glory years arguably. It was a real family tradition for us and when I started watching it again in the late '80s it was in an attempt to re-live those days but really, it was utter crap for a decade or more. I can honestly say that I've really enjoyed the last 4 or 5 contests, the standard of the songs has been really high.

I love Eurovision.

So what if is a big gay party?

The tackier and more kitsch the better in my opinion and I will be tuning in with my kids to watch.

Bet not many people know...but a bloke from Southend came second,in the ESC,late 80s.
Changed his name,as they all do,but real name was Ray.C.
Knew all the family for decades...
remember watching Sandy Shaw,Cliff going for it in the late 60s

A country doesn't have to be in Europe to enter, but to receive European TV. That's my belief.

I must be in the minority but I love Eurovision

I used to like it in the 70s, when they seemed to genuinely vote on the song and performance. Then in the 80s onwards, all the countries near to Russia(terrified of them), started giving them top marks no matter what, and in those days the Russian entry was normally horrendous. That paved the way for the Scandinavians to vote for each other, and other similar voting patterns. The great Terry Wogan would then take the mickey and predict the top scores by some countries.

Last edited:
I got very upset when Ding dinga ding dang dang doo didn't win. I also thought it was a bit strange when we dug up Englebert Humperdink to sing for us.

Some of the best (Weird)lyrics from some of the entries from the past.

"A million faces tied in chains/You ride a black horse in the rain/You hypnotise me"-Israel

"You've been weird, been a mess/They don't know how to value unicorns/so they turn their heads away"-Hungary

"Ohhh, tell me black or white/What color is your life/Ohhh, try to ask your heart/Who you really are?" - Poland

"I know that I'll find/Your lighthouse/Your lighthouse/Your lighthouse/Your lighthouse/Your lighthouse" - Croatia

"Hello hello Mr. fighter/Look! there we go again...
/Go-getters don´t forsake! 
They never wallow in their fate" - Spain

"I've been painting bitter blue/Always hitting walls" - Malta

"When I came to/Your smell on me/I reached around the bed/And grabbed a cigarette out of your bag" - Georgia

Last edited:
A country doesn't have to be in Europe to enter, but to receive European TV. That's my belief.
This from Wiki;

"Eligibility for potential participation in the Eurovision Song Contest requires a national broadcaster with active EBU membership that will be able to broadcast the contest via the Eurovision network. The EBU issued an invitation of participation in the contest to all fifty-six active members."

Back