• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

This could be very, very shrewd. I don't expect him to play every game but we were crying out for a leader all last season. An international skipper is actually a massive coup.

So, he won't be available on international weekends?

Could be in a pickle if Demetriou, Kyprianou, Milligan and Bishop get called up.

Welcome to the club though, if he is as good as our last Aussie, he'll do well.
I thought if there were 3 or more international callups for a side then the match gets rearranged?

I'm genuinely impressed.

I expect he's on his last legs and we'll only get 25 games out of him but with his experience and hopefully organisational ability that could be massive for us and Dru in particular and those 25 games could go a long way to securing safety next year.

I've railed against short term signings in the past and whilst he turns 34 before the season (he's 6 months younger than Timlin who we moved on from a year ago) I love the fact that there's a long term plan here with the coaching aspect. This isn't just a signing for this year but one that could benefit the club for years to come.

There's even potentially a succession plan in place with his fellow Aussie defensive midfielder Jordan Lyden who he can mentor to succeed him.

I'm now steeling myself for disappointment when his work permit is rejected. Our record at securing work permits when we sign international defensive midfielders from Scottish clubs isn't great - I expect Mad Cyril is still trying to remove his Rudi Vata tattoo.

I hope he's not another Turner. Old defender with old legs looking for one more payday.

I wouldn't say that's fair at all personally. I think Turner had a good 1st season (once he got fit) and popped up with a few goals too. Second season yes, not as good but regardless I don't think he was looking for a payday.

If this was about Kightly then I would totally agree with you.

Another thing, he;s only played 350 games, due to the short Aussie seasons, so his knees won't be as bad as other 30-somethings...

Can't say i've heard of the guy but any international captain can't be a bad scalp to have. Reading the article it also appears there's a lot of planning going on behind the scenes, and we'll just have to be patient with coming and goings. A few more signings like this in key areas and we'll be looking in very good shape.

Looks like he'll be taking the DM role that Kiernan played at the end of last season, meaning Kiernan can go back to CB alongside Lennon.

Spine of the team is looking good now

GK - Ox
CB's - Kiernan / Lennon
CM's - Milligan / Yearwood
CF's - Hopper / Humphrys / Cox

This could turn out to be a very good signing. Played Bondy

I'm optimistic about this one, may be getting on a bit, but I'm sure we could do with a bit of experience. From what I've read (albeit, not very much), he seems pretty versatile as well.

Not sure how to feel about this.

It’s another of those signings that if it pays off, it’s a great signing. The guy seems to have a decent pedigree, good experience & is used to leading.

BUT on the other hand, he turns 34 next month. It should go without saying that we don’t seem to have much luck with aging players.

Hopefully we’ll get our moneys worth, but I look at this with caution & reservedness, TBH.

Can't say i've heard of the guy

Forget hearing, you've probably seen him play. Here's him playing in the World Cup against Mbappe.

_102075382_kylianmbappemarkmilligan_afp.jpg

Back