• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

We’ve been crying out for a Maher type player for a long time now. Someone with leadership qualities and composure who can set the tempo, tackle, pass and create from deep.

Looks like we’ve finally got our man. Excited to see what he and Dru can do together in the middle. Hats off to Ron and Bond. Looks like a great signing.

He sounds like a very good signing for us at this level, lots of experience and has done it at international level. Maybe his age is putting some into cagey response mode but we shall see as pre season games unfold.

A long pass, rather than an aimless 'hoof' will be something new at RH this season.

We needed a holding midfielder who can do a simple pass, which we lacked last season, he is perfect! Now we need two fast winger, a central back, LB & an attacking midfielder, then we are sorted!

Might help if we had ever heard of him.......I don't even no enough to say how underwhelmed I am.

On a more serious note, does anyone know how he got on at Hibs last year?

Manager obviously fancied something different. Had a two year contract cut short.
I thought 32 was too old according to some of you regarding JW but apparently 34 is fine?
As always, I’ll wait to see him play before I get over excited.

The only negative or only reason for muted response, in my eyes, would be the position he plays and how many we have that play there already.....

Mantom
Dieng
Kiernan
Hyam
Yearwood
Klass (albeit not a ball winner as such)

Add :-
Gard (when back from injury)
Hutchinson (CM is his preferred position albeit more of a forward)

Add Jordan Lyden to the mix and we are either set to offload one or two and / or lose interest in one.....and at 23/24 would Lyden have been a better signing than Milligan?

I think this is the area we needed strengthening the most. Of the above, Kiernan is best returning to the defence, Hyam is rarely available and Dieng, imho, is one whose contract we should be looking to terminate.

On a more serious note, does anyone know how he got on at Hibs last year?

His season seems to have started late because he was playing in the World Cup (it seems strange even typing that). He made his debut mid-September as a sub but after that he started every match outside of December (when he was in and out of the side) and January when he was on international duty. He seems to have finished strongly playing the full 90 minutes in the last 10 games of the regular season before their league splits. After it split he started all 5 but was subbed in 3 of them but that might just have been tactical because they were chasing the game.

I suspect his legs are on the wane and he'll need someone to do his running, much like Ronnie Whelan when he was with us. Our priority now needs to be to get some athletes in, especially wide midfield.

What a great signing, well done Ron and team. Looks as fit as a flea, I like the great skill on show in the clips and the two footed ability

That one came out of nowhere. Good signing, he isn’t the captain of Australia for no reason. Hopefully he’ll be the experienced head we’ve needed to command that midfield. Wonder if he will be captain?

This is a very good signing for a club like ours! Probably a longer term deal to sort out any immigration terms, and we cant afford any home nation players!! He is 33, a year or so older than Coxy, so not past it yet! August cant come round quick enough now ?

Looks like he'll be taking the DM role that Kiernan played at the end of last season, meaning Kiernan can go back to CB alongside Lennon.

Spine of the team is looking good now

GK - Ox
CB's - Kiernan / Lennon
CM's - Milligan / Yearwood
CF's - Hopper / Humphrys / Cox

I doubt very much we’ll be starting many games with 3 strikers but you can certainly add in Mantom to your strong spine.

I have woken to what I can only describe as great news. What a fantastic signing. I have watched him play over many years in the A League and of course with the national side.
He is a true leader on the field good defensive midfielder or CB with a "no nonsence" approach in the tackle.
I do hope I will be able to get to a home game this year as I feel that with this signing KB is letting all of us fans know he is not content with a mid-table finish this year.
UTB

Wow, have we actually signed the captain of a (**scrolls down the FIFA rankings**) top 50 international side?

I was going to say a Lyden signing would be a bit meh and I couldn't see how he'd fit into the side as we surely couldn't have such an inexperienced central midfield as him alongside Dru. This is the opposite.

We all said leadership was something that was lacking last season but if he's genuinely the current Australian captain (and didn't just take the armband once in a friendly) that's some signing.

I disagree, We were lacking leadership last year, he checks that. We were lacking someone tough in the midfield, he checks that. You want a Timlin, but a person that is better than Timlin, this is your man. He could help Dru flourish again.

Ladies and Gentleman, love coming on here and having a read. I don't post much as I am not living in England, but this is a huge signing for the club.

My personal opinion of Mark Milligan is that he is a great leader, which excites me as when I was reading everyone's opinion about last season, this is something we clearly lacked.

Mark is getting on, but about 2-3 years ago he was absolutely bossing it in the A-League (I compare to lower championship/high league one status) so I was always telling my mates, he could do a job at a lower EPL club (Burnley, Huddersfield etc)

Mark is a technical player, a very good passer of the ball but he is getting older. I'm hoping for our sake he is still fit and can do a very good job for us. Technically is all class but after watching many EL1 and Championship games on the TV, it is clear that you need to be fit and physical to survive in these leagues.

So lets hope he provides us with the ability to organize the other players and help K.Bond with getting his message across to the whole playing group.

Absolute excellent signing,for you ppl who dont know off him ,you soon will,great captain and leader,has skill and tackles hard.This really came out of nowhere,for a club like ours PB would have said this is a WOW signing.

Back