• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

Well we wanted a captain leader we’ve now got one played as many games last year as Harry Lennon played in his career
Forget the age, it’s clear we are trying to bring the age down, a man with his experience will be a huge plus for a league one side

So, he won't be available on international weekends?

Could be in a pickle if Demetriou, Kyprianou, Milligan and Bishop get called up.

Welcome to the club though, if he is as good as our last Aussie, he'll do well.
That many players out I think we can get games postponed ? Isn’t it 3 missing due to international

If we were going to sign an experienced international captain , I would have preferred Steph Houghton , but this will do nicely ....

Australian friend of mine says “Good in A League so I’d say average Championship or good League One player, at the tail end of his career though”.

Seems very much an alternative to Lyden and this one is a bit more exciting and proved quality. With the plan to get him in the coaching set-up it’s just what we need.

Not exactly our top priority but seemingly an improvement in quality and provides cover at the back where we definitely need it. Could help the likes of Dru and Kiernan if Bond sees him playing there. Kind of experience and leadership we’ve been missing in the middle.
Well I've actually seen him play, in Sydney in a World cup warm up match, I thought at the time he was one of their better players and very strong in the tackle. Waiting for my son in law to wake up in Oz (currently past midnight there) to see what he thinks of the move.

Quite like the look of this signing. Certainly means Kiernan can drop back to CB which is what I've always called out for and certainly like the idea of the coaching role after he retires not many coaches with 4 world cups worth experience knocking about in our league.

I'm genuinely impressed.

I expect he's on his last legs and we'll only get 25 games out of him but with his experience and hopefully organisational ability that could be massive for us and Dru in particular and those 25 games could go a long way to securing safety next year.

I've railed against short term signings in the past and whilst he turns 34 before the season (he's 6 months younger than Timlin who we moved on from a year ago) I love the fact that there's a long term plan here with the coaching aspect. This isn't just a signing for this year but one that could benefit the club for years to come.

There's even potentially a succession plan in place with his fellow Aussie defensive midfielder Jordan Lyden who he can mentor to succeed him.

I'm now steeling myself for disappointment when his work permit is rejected. Our record at securing work permits when we sign international defensive midfielders from Scottish clubs isn't great - I expect Mad Cyril is still trying to remove his Rudi Vata tattoo.

Assuming this is correct he's played more than 75% of international fixtures in the past 2 years and Australia are ranked in the top 50, so that should be automatic acceptance:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mark-...017-07-01/ende/2019-07-01/nurEinsatz/0/plus/1

Okay, so I've had a busy day and I've just come on to this.

Seems a very muted reaction here to us signing an INTERNATIONAL CAPTAIN who, as Yorkie just pointed out to me, "started every game in his side's World Cup campaign last summer". If he's played against the likes of Mbappe etc, the usual mince we get in League One is going to be child's play.

Why is everyone so collected about this? This sounds ****ing superb!!!!

If this was someone like Sunderland or even Peterborough, I'm pretty certain we'd be looking on with envious eyes, no?

(MK Dons just signed goalkeeper Laurie Walker on a free transfer from Hemel Hempstead!)

Strewth did not expect this.

I like the signing. we desperately needed a leader on the pitch and Mark fits the bill perfectly. Welcome to the club Mate.

Okay, so I've had a busy day and I've just come on to this.

Seems a very muted reaction here to us signing an INTERNATIONAL CAPTAIN who, as Yorkie just pointed out to me, "started every game in his side's World Cup campaign last summer". If he's played against the likes of Mbappe etc, the usual mince we get in League One is going to be child's play.

Why is everyone so collected about this? This sounds ****ing superb!!!!

If this was someone like Sunderland or even Peterborough, I'm pretty certain we'd be looking on with envious eyes, no?

(MK Dons just signed goalkeeper Laurie Walker on a free transfer from Hemel Hempstead!)

Might help if we had ever heard of him.......I don't even no enough to say how underwhelmed I am.

On a more serious note, does anyone know how he got on at Hibs last year?

The only negative or only reason for muted response, in my eyes, would be the position he plays and how many we have that play there already.....

Mantom
Dieng
Kiernan
Hyam
Yearwood
Klass (albeit not a ball winner as such)

Add :-
Gard (when back from injury)
Hutchinson (CM is his preferred position albeit more of a forward)

Add Jordan Lyden to the mix and we are either set to offload one or two and / or lose interest in one.....and at 23/24 would Lyden have been a better signing than Milligan?

Might help if we had ever heard of him.......I don't even no enough to say how underwhelmed I am.

On a more serious note, does anyone know how he got on at Hibs last year?

Just was speaking to a few on Facebook. They said his legs hadn't gone, real grafter and gets stuck in. A real workhorse apparently.

One said he has a good range of passing, another one said passing questionable at times. It's like being on the zone with mixed reviews like that!

Back