• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

He’s a leader. If we’d have signed him a few years ago I’d have been more impressed (well, I’d have been shocked TBH) but he’ll still do a job. This could be prove to be a VERY good signing,

Seen on tv in oz when he played for Melbourne Victory and the odd international. Reckon it is a great signing and even at 33 injury record is pretty good. Good piece of work

To be fair GBJ, you can say that about any signing.

Absolutely.

But the specific point about this particular signing, which I did elude to, was our history of signing older players on decent wages, and it subsequently not being a very fruitful one.

If we can get 30+ games out of the guy, and he lives up to the billing, then it’s a good piece of business.

If he gets crocked after a few games & doesn’t reappear until April, you know this board will be full of the usual threads, demanding to know why we persist with spending good money on old timers, who are just here for a final payday.

Absolutely.

But the specific point about this particular signing, which I did elude to, was our history of signing older players on decent wages, and it subsequently not being a very fruitful one.

If we can get 30+ games out of the guy, and he lives up to the billing, then it’s a good piece of business.

If he gets crocked after a few games & doesn’t reappear until April, you know this board will be full of the usual threads, demanding to know why we persist with spending good money on old timers, who are just here for a final payday.

Good point, well made.

It’s great to hear he is a good leader as we have massively lacked that the season gone. Cox was the only one who was a worthy leader and he needed to be focusing on scoring. It wasn’t until Kiernan came back that we had some who had that leadership quality. With Kiernan and Milligan we could have a well drilled team.

Happy with the 2 KB signings so far. If he can get Moore I would be over the moon. Not overly bothered whether we bother keeping White.

It’s great to hear he is a good leader as we have massively lacked that the season gone. Cox was the only one who was a worthy leader and he needed to be focusing on scoring. It wasn’t until Kiernan came back that we had some who had that leadership quality. With Kiernan and Milligan we could have a well drilled team.

Happy with the 2 KB signings so far. If he can get Moore I would be over the moon. Not overly bothered whether we bother keeping White.

Remember when we let Timlin go? Even if they didn’t like it, most people could understand the rationale behind it. We wanted better players if we were intent on progressing in the league.

John White falls into that same category. He won’t be our star player. He won’t even play the majority of the time. But he’s very dependable, adaptable and in my mind, capable. On top of that, he’s going to be on very low wages. It’s a no-lose situation.

A player like that, is a must in any professional outfit. We needed him last year, just as we could have done with Timlin aswell.

I know there’s no sentiment in professional football, but at the very least, John White deserves another contract with us.

Remember when we let Timlin go? Even if they didn’t like it, most people could understand the rationale behind it. We wanted better players if we were intent on progressing in the league.

John White falls into that same category. He won’t be our star player. He won’t even play the majority of the time. But he’s very dependable, adaptable and in my mind, capable. On top of that, he’s going to be on very low wages. It’s a no-lose situation.

A player like that, is a must in any professional outfit. We needed him last year, just as we could have done with Timlin aswell.

I know there’s no sentiment in professional football, but at the very least, John White deserves another contract with us.

So if giving White a contract meant we couldn’t afford to bring in Moore would you go for it?

Thinking about transfer budget, does Mark represent losing Turner?

I’d hazard a rough guess that he’s going to be on very good wages, and possibly more than Turner was on.

So whilst Turner’s wages would certainly contribute a lot, I wouldn’t be surprised if we still needed to adjust the balance sheets somewhere.

So if giving White a contract meant we couldn’t afford to bring in Moore would you go for it?

If it came down to that, then I’d choose Moore over White.

But I’d like to think that we could accommodate both, considering White’s wages would be fairly insignificant

What you could have asked is, would I let White go, in order to balance the wage sheets, and accommodate the Aussies’ wages. And I’d have to say no.

Kevin Bond expressed his delight at the capture of his second summer signing.

Centre midfielder Mark Milligan put pen to paper on a one-year deal on Monday which includes the option of a further year.

And while his versatility and experience will be invaluable, it was Milligan’s ability that Bond wanted to add to his squad, saying his arrival demonstrates the club’s intentions for the season.

On completing the deal…

He’s a great signing for us. Current captain for Australia, he’s played all sorts of matches at the highest level and he’s a real serious footballing person.

He really impressed me and is somebody who I’ve been familiar with for quite a while now.

I’d been tempted to buy him previously at other clubs I’ve been and I hope he will be a terrific signing for us which I would like to think is a statement of the club’s intent, signing someone the stature of Mark Milligan.

On Mark’s experience….

He’s been there and done it. He will be the type of person that when he talks everybody will listen and will look up to him.

He will have everybody’s respect and he certainly will after he’s been around the place for a while and people see what he’s about.

There won’t be anything that goes on around him that he hasn’t seen or done before so it is that experience that will be vital for us.

Centrally, he can play at the back, he can play in midfield, but I do see him more of a midfield player in the central role and he will be really key in that spine down the middle of the pitch.

On his versatility….

In the middle of the park, it’s his know how, he can smell it and he knows the right thing to do in certain situations.

That’s where I really see him. I know he can play, in truth, anywhere across the back which I know he has done and it’s nice to have that versatility but that wasn’t the main thing about signing Mark, it’s his ability and I see him in the middle of the park.

On whether it’s a key summer addition…

I do see it as a really, really important signing for us.

That old chestnut again, I suggest you look at how many times he has played and kept his place over the last few seasons.

Kevin Bond expressed his delight at the capture of his second summer signing.

Centre midfielder Mark Milligan put pen to paper on a one-year deal on Monday which includes the option of a further year.

And while his versatility and experience will be invaluable, it was Milligan’s ability that Bond wanted to add to his squad, saying his arrival demonstrates the club’s intentions for the season.

On completing the deal…

He’s a great signing for us. Current captain for Australia, he’s played all sorts of matches at the highest level and he’s a real serious footballing person.

He really impressed me and is somebody who I’ve been familiar with for quite a while now.

I’d been tempted to buy him previously at other clubs I’ve been and I hope he will be a terrific signing for us which I would like to think is a statement of the club’s intent, signing someone the stature of Mark Milligan.

On Mark’s experience….

He’s been there and done it. He will be the type of person that when he talks everybody will listen and will look up to him.

He will have everybody’s respect and he certainly will after he’s been around the place for a while and people see what he’s about.

There won’t be anything that goes on around him that he hasn’t seen or done before so it is that experience that will be vital for us.

Centrally, he can play at the back, he can play in midfield, but I do see him more of a midfield player in the central role and he will be really key in that spine down the middle of the pitch.

On his versatility….

In the middle of the park, it’s his know how, he can smell it and he knows the right thing to do in certain situations.

That’s where I really see him. I know he can play, in truth, anywhere across the back which I know he has done and it’s nice to have that versatility but that wasn’t the main thing about signing Mark, it’s his ability and I see him in the middle of the park.

On whether it’s a key summer addition…

I do see it as a really, really important signing for us.

Well reading that I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's our new captain!

Every signing is a gamble of sorts, especially for a club like ours. I have no idea of how fit he is right or how many games he’ll play. I’d also be concerned about how big a contract he’s on, especially if he spends the season in the treatment room.

But trust me, he has the quality as a player and a leader to improve us if fit and healthy.

Back