• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

Was international clearance a thing before us and Ireland joined the EU? Pretty sure because of EU freedom of movement laws Irish players are free to join English clubs, as would members of any EU country (which is why Dieng is allowed to play for us). I assume international clearance in this case is just him handing in his passport to prove he isn't lying about his nationality.
It’s all to do with us being under a transfer embargo so when none of our players play Saturday the club will have their excuses in line ... (of course this is all just me being a cynic )

Yes. Ralph’s signing was also subject to international clearance even though he’s English as he was moving from Scotland (governed by the SFA) to England (governed by the FA).

It’s a FIFA thing rather than an EU thing.

Another reason for obtaining international clearance is to ensure that the player is not under suspension in the country from which he is moving, hence, he is cleared to play.

Looks like Ridgewell is incoming if his Twitter is anything to come by.

If is in good shape then he will more than do a job. Over 250 premier league games.

Sky Sports Paper Talk this morning saying from the Daily Record we want to sign Olly Lee on loan.

It’s all to do with us being under a transfer embargo so when none of our players play Saturday the club will have their excuses in line ... (of course this is all just me being a cynic )

I don't think we are under a transfer embargo.

Even if we were, it wouldn't apply in this case because Shaughnessy is a free agent, having left his previous club at the end of the season.

Looks like Ridgewell is incoming if his Twitter is anything to come by. If is in good shape then he will more than do a job. Over 250 premier league games.

I really hope that if he comes in he proves a good acquisition, but spare me the "he'll more than do a job" bit - there are half a dozen in recent years that have come to us with a similar reputation and struggled to do any sort of job. It's hardly a done deal.

I really hope that if he comes in he proves a good acquisition, but spare me the "he'll more than do a job" bit - there are half a dozen in recent years that have come to us with a similar reputation and struggled to do any sort of job. It's hardly a done deal.

I’m fairness, both Turner and Ferdinand were great in their first season but dropped off significantly the second year. I’d trust KB to determine whether the benefits outweigh the risks, given the likely coaching benefits from Ridgewell. On the other hand, Kightly was a bit of a car crash signing so these things can clearly go wrong from the start. However you could argue that could happen with any signing for all manner of reasons.

If we sign Ridgewell I’ll be pleased and I’ll look forward to seeing him in a blue shirt.

Some on here are forgetting the influence Anton had on Thommo.....Will he ever have abetter season than his last one for us alongside Ferdinand?

What about the leadership Anton also showed that was so badly lacking last season. I remember players like Coker, having a habit of squabbling with team mates or lino's over a conceded corners etc. Anton would calmly but firmly tell him face up and concentrate on whats next.

Yes his back problems looked worse in the second year but he also lost hart with fans because some idiots would shout vile abuse from the stands

Some on here are forgetting the influence Anton had on Thommo.....Will he ever have abetter season than his last one for us alongside Ferdinand?

What about the leadership Anton also showed that was so badly lacking last season. I remember players like Coker, having a habit of squabbling with team mates or lino's over a conceded corner. Anton would calmly but firmly tell him face up and concentrate on whats next.

Yes his back problems looked worse in the second year but he also lost hart with fans because some idiots would shout vile abuse from the stands

Agreed. Anton was a hugely positive figure at the club.

I don't think we are under a transfer embargo.

Even if we were, it wouldn't apply in this case because Shaughnessy is a free agent, having left his previous club at the end of the season.
I think somethings not right though, I hear you on your comment about the free agents, and I wonder if thats why players have terminated their own contracts? I dont know, but the Kit launch thing regardless of whats already been said, was really poor this year, the kits not in stock, not ready not being launched together etc, then the 'Meet the Blues Day' an event only Brian Potter and the staff down at the Phoenix would have been proud of , again in other years just like the kit launch, have been loads better..... then of course players coming in at last knocking... Something don't feel right . I just hope we get no more nasty suprises ahead of tomorrows big game player wise, and that we have turned our backs on the doom and gloom and tomorrow is the start of a great season for the shrimpers.

I think somethings not right though, I hear you on your comment about the free agents, and I wonder if thats why players have terminated their own contracts? I dont know, but the Kit launch thing regardless of whats already been said, was really poor this year, the kits not in stock, not ready not being launched together etc, then the 'Meet the Blues Day' an event only Brian Potter and the staff down at the Phoenix would have been proud of , again in other years just like the kit launch, have been loads better..... then of course players coming in at last knocking... Something don't feel right . I just hope we get no more nasty suprises ahead of tomorrows big game player wise, and that we have turned our backs on the doom and gloom and tomorrow is the start of a great season for the shrimpers.

Nothing specifically aimed at this post, but reading it I can't help longing for a return to the days when all we had to do was turn up, support the team on match days and disappear again, only resurfacing the next time the team played. Impossible in the current world, I know.

But seriously, sometimes, just who on earth do we think we are? What right do we have to say whether the club should do this/that, we're concerned about the lack of (insert problem area here)? They've done this wrong, they've done that wrong, they should do this, they should do that. It's all so bloomin' complicated. Just win the sodding games and we'll be happy. That's all we need to worry about.

Maybe it's my age...

Nothing specifically aimed at this post, but reading it I can't help longing for a return to the days when all we had to do was turn up, support the team on match days and disappear again, only resurfacing the next time the team played. Impossible in the current world, I know.

But seriously, sometimes, just who on earth do we think we are? What right do we have to say whether the club should do this/that, we're concerned about the lack of (insert problem area here)? They've done this wrong, they've done that wrong, they should do this, they should do that. It's all so bloomin' complicated. Just win the sodding games and we'll be happy. That's all we need to worry about.

Maybe it's my age...

You've answered your own question :Smile:

Back