• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wycombe Wanderers 4-3 Southend United (L)

Totally agree I believe the Ox has much more presence, and size ,offers greater experience , and leadership, has an enormous kick if needs be, yes he has the odd fault but surely need to switch to our No 1 in these circumstances

We can't say for certain but the first goal at Lincoln could have been stopped with a growling keeper spotting the danger Elvis was in at the far post and alerting one of his CB's......It all adds up.

Agree with all of this and BarryC's follow up post. I mentioned in my report following the Peterborough game that I'd bring Oxley back in, he does make the odd howler but is the better of the two right now IMO.

I asked a question yesterday regarding how many games we've actually won with Bishop in goal? There's obviously the cup game against Stevenage and some in the League trophy, but I can only recall about 3 in the league ever.

Just Oxford, Gillingham and Bradford in the league.

Since we won at Bradford, our last clean sheet, we have picked up 12 points in 23 league games.

I think the most pressing reason to drop Bishop is that too many more drubbings will completely shatter any confidence he has still left in his own ability.

It then may never fully return and could destroy what might well otherwise be a successful career for him.

For similar reasons I think that Theo should have been let join Swindon.

I think the most pressing reason to drop Bishop is that too many more drubbings will completely shatter any confidence he has still left in his own ability.

It then may never fully return and could destroy what might well otherwise be a successful career for him.

For similar reasons I think that Theo should have been let join Swindon.
Swindon didn’t really want Theo and Ron couldn’t cough up enough money to persuade them to take him!
Interesting to read people trying to find some sort of reason for leaving out your established,experienced keeper in favour of a raw teenager who is clearly struggling very badly. Obviously Oxley has received undue and unfair criticism for that one Blackpool goal,but doubt very much that he’s unpopular with team-mates.He was made captain last season,after all.

WYCOMBE Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth is backing Southend United to turn a corner following Saturday’s 4-3 defeat at Adams Park.

More...

Well he is best mates with Waddock and Lee Harrison.

That maybe. But Gareth Ainsworth is a fine manager and has done wonders at Wycombe on a limited budget. His unwillingness to engage in cheap-point scoring is also refreshing.

That maybe. But Gareth Ainsworth is a fine manager and has done wonders at Wycombe on a limited budget. His unwillingness to engage in cheap-point scoring is also refreshing.

Ainsworth is a class act but that doesn’t make him right - just loyal.

Interesting to read all these comments regarding Bishop and his perceived faults but surely some of the blame must be placed on the goalkeeping coach, perhaps Ron will get rid of him when he sacks Bond and Waddock.

Thought he was actually.

They had their arms round each other during the shoot out

Yep. Phil Brown told people at Southend later, that Ainsworth asked Phil if they could both not celebrate the scoring or missing of penalties as they were taken. Phil agreed to his request.

Interesting to read all these comments regarding Bishop and his perceived faults but surely some of the blame must be placed on the goalkeeping coach, perhaps Ron will get rid of him when he sacks Bond and Waddock.
I quite like this one...... a 19 year old Goalkeeper with faults! Surely a 19 year old Goalkeeper without any faults would be playing in League 1?
Of course Bishop will have faults. Perceived by others and not yourself. So now we get rid of the Gk coach who gave us another teenage Goalkeeper, homegrown in the league and an England U20 cap. Bishop will get better and better over time. His crosses yesterday were excellent and brave. The one on one save with Kashkett? Looked well timed from where I was. The reading of the play to come from his box first half and head clear was quick and decisive. Has he got things to work on? Yes, but at 19, he is way ahead of most 19 year old Gks in the country. I think the last 19 year old our GK coach brought through a club was Matt Ingram at Wycombe?? Who they later sold for £800K.

Thanks Tony, I hope you realise that I wasn't saying Layton isn't good enough, just that he hasn't done enough on his sub apps to be given a start.

As I said previously, give him 90 mins on Tuesday, if he performs, he'll be gaurenteed a start on Saturday!
That’s the problem with forums, what you write And what people read are often very different

I quite like this one...... a 19 year old Goalkeeper with faults! Surely a 19 year old Goalkeeper without any faults would be playing in League 1?
Of course Bishop will have faults. Perceived by others and not yourself. So now we get rid of the Gk coach who gave us another teenage Goalkeeper, homegrown in the league and an England U20 cap. Bishop will get better and better over time. His crosses yesterday were excellent and brave. The one on one save with Kashkett? Looked well timed from where I was. The reading of the play to come from his box first half and head clear was quick and decisive. Has he got things to work on? Yes, but at 19, he is way ahead of most 19 year old Gks in the country. I think the last 19 year old our GK coach brought through a club was Matt Ingram at Wycombe?? Who they later sold for £800K.

Some very fair comments there. The problem is he is letting 3 or 4 goals in every 5 shots on target. That's unsustainable and almost a cert relegation into league 2. Do we let our heart rule our head and let that happen? He's making it too easy for the opposition by going to ground before the ball is even struck, slow reactions, or leaving half the goal to aim for with bad positioning. I would rather he was better at all that but useless at crosses. If it carries on, it could destroy him. His confidence is going as it is. In a couple of years, I'm sure he will be great, and hopefully our number one goalkeeper for many years.

That’s the problem with forums, what you write And what people read are often very different

Very true. To be fair I didn't word my initial post re: Ndukwu very tactfully, I can see why Dave (and probably others) read it as vindictive. I do hope he's given a start tomorrow and a chance to impress.

I'm going to use it as a learning experience, to re read what I've written before pressing post!

Back