• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
If Goodship would have scored either of his two glorious chances where the 'keeper was no where near we could have been 2-0 up, and the 'keeper would still have not made any saves.

For the record, I'm not having a go at Goodship, or agreeing or disagreeing with your general point. I'm just pointing out that you're dismissing some statistics, and then quoting your own ones which are just as meaningless.

This point re Goodship is a good one. Both of our best chances came from him from a wide position and then he played an almost perfect pass through their defence that almost came to something.

He’s obviously very creative and once one goal comes the floodgates will open!

It’s similar to eastwood and gower. Teams spent so much energy trying to keep Eastwood out and it let Gower run em ragged.

Different player of course but same idea I reckon apart from now with Cox & Goodship.

He’ll sink some chances soon ;)

Bond's not necessarily a bad a manager but he's not necessarily the right fit for us either. I expressed doubt as to whether keeping us up meant he was the right man for the job long term and whilst I've been heartened by some of his moves, some doubts are lingering.

He's trying to change the way we play and Tuesday wasn't terrible but it was a long way off where Bond wants us to be and more importantly from being competitive in this division. Despite some reactions there were positive moments last match - he was criticised for playing Goodship on the left but our two best moments came from Goodship cutting in onto Mantom passes. He takes those and Bond's being proclaimed a genius for it. Some of the passing was good. Much wasn't though. It wasn't the dark days of Alvin Martin, the futility of Alan Little but things definitely weren't right.

I fear he's trying to run before we can walk. I suspect he knows that himself which is why he's stressing that clean sheet mentality. If we can keep a couple of clean sheets and pinch a few wins with set piece goals (Lennon's header v Blackpool and Milligan's v Posh showed we have some threat there) confidence will grow and we'll start to play the ball around more naturally. But I'm not sure he has player buy in (I've been apprehensive about our chances this season since the second half at Dagenham pre-season - there were a load of triallists playing but things didn't look right: body language was bad, there didn't seem to be team spirit - I'm not sure what it was exactly but things looked off).

I think we're in for a critical week and a half. He needs to move players out to establish his authority. That's what he's hinting at with his veiled threats about taking two transfer windows. Some of the players clearly aren't his style of player. Dru's gone already. Kightly's gone. He clearly doesn't fancy Humprhys. Having now had a look at Theo he's the latest in a long line of managers to regret that 3 and a half year contract (and not off-loading him to Swindon when he had the chance earlier this summer). McLaughlin is on the outside, I don't think he fancies Kiernan either or Mantom. Some of the one year contracts given out this summer because we needed the numbers may be gone next year as well.

Or the players could see off Bond.

Good post YB. I remember reading your comments about an unhappy camp at the Dagenham friendly and really hoping that wasn't the case. Seems you were right.

I voted for Wignal as I could not bring myself to dob in Mooreo Who was truly shocking. If Bond can turn this shambles around he really will be something special. I don’t think Spud or Murphy should have been in the pole IMHO.

I think we're in for a critical week and a half. He needs to move players out to establish his authority. That's what he's hinting at with his veiled threats about taking two transfer windows. Some of the players clearly aren't his style of player. Dru's gone already. Kightly's gone. He clearly doesn't fancy Humprhys. Having now had a look at Theo he's the latest in a long line of managers to regret that 3 and a half year contract (and not off-loading him to Swindon when he had the chance earlier this summer). McLaughlin is on the outside, I don't think he fancies Kiernan either or Mantom. Some of the one year contracts given out this summer because we needed the numbers may be gone next year as well.

Or the players could see off Bond.

I don't think that's the case, actually. Humphrys is a young lad who's appearance belies his age. I think it's more Humphrys that doesn't fancy it from what I can see from his body language. In my opinion he's also quite lazy off the ball and I'm not sure the other strikers are that enamoured to be honest.

I think your final sentence is the way we are headed.

The players see off PB, then took the p*** out of CP......Some were even shirking during their rehab.

Bond is nice easy one for them because they know the fans will let them off completely yet again

Remember those 6 point games v Wimbledon, Shrewsbury and Wycombe.......I have seen worse at RH but never 3 like that in a row. Some of you should think about that, next time one them publicly whinges about being asked to play a bit of keep ball.

The players see off PB, then took the p*** out of CP......Some were even shirking during their rehab.

Bond is nice easy one for them because they know the fans will let them off completely yet again

Remember those 6 point games v Wimbledon, Shrewsbury and Wycombe.......I have seen worse at RH but never 3 like that in a row. Some of you should think about that, next time one them publicly whinges about being asked to play a bit of keep ball.

It’s where they are being asked to play keep ball that is the problem.

Please elaborate?
The beginning of his first season he assembled a good squad had them them joint top of the league with Barnsley at christmas/new year, admittedly Vic Jobson was as much to blame, but Ronnie wanted more cash to buy more of his mates, did not get it and subsequently went into sulk mode, also at the away match at Norwich when we won 1-0 and Paul Sansome was in goal, Vic interfered and wanted Royce in the team, as he he could not get any money for him sitting on the bench.
Yes it was the usual rumor mill I know, but the way the team played the following season it was like they had all gone on strike and sacking Mr Southend himself 'Steve Tilson' also looked to confirm those rumors, it was a long time ago now, but I put our demise down to Whelan's sulking and spite.

You can only go with those you’ve seen and I wasn’t around for Dick Bate, so Alvin it is.
Bond has been in charge for 10 games - he shouldn’t even feature.

You can only go with those you’ve seen and I wasn’t around for Dick Bate, so Alvin it is.
Bond has been in charge for 10 games - he shouldn’t even feature.

I was around for the Dick Bate era and it was terrible - this feels just as bad. No reason why Bond shouldn't feature in the poll.

I was around for the Dick Bate era and it was terrible - this feels just as bad. No reason why Bond shouldn't feature in the poll.

Maybe. But as I remember - I may be wrong - the crap under Alvin Martin lasted much longer than this. If we’re still losing at Christmas and Bond is still in charge I’ll be with you. But this is 5 crap games.
He was the wrong appointment though, I’ll give you that. There was no real bounce last season, we just won a couple of games without convincing. I’m surprised Ron appointed him unless the deal was ‘keep us up and the job is yours’.

Maybe. But as I remember - I may be wrong - the crap under Alvin Martin lasted much longer than this. If we’re still losing at Christmas and Bond is still in charge I’ll be with you. But this is 5 crap games.
He was the wrong appointment though, I’ll give you that. There was no real bounce last season, we just won a couple of games without convincing. I’m surprised Ron appointed him unless the deal was ‘keep us up and the job is yours’.

Yes, I am sure Alvin Martin did last much longer but I think this feels worse coming on the back of a terrible last half to the previous season and all those home defeats. We just wanted that season to end and looked forward to a new start which hasn't happened. It's all about Ron's decisions at the end of the day isn't it so time will tell.

To me, Bonds record says it all.

Played: 13

Wins: 3

Losses: 8

Draws: 2

Goals for: 15

Goals against: 28

Back