• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
How on earth has Kevin Bond got more votes than Ronnie Whelan, Rob Newman and Peter Taylor put together? Three of the worst abject failures we’ve ever had! Some people seem have decided that our turnaround in form and miraculous escape from relegation was nothing whatsoever to do with Kevin Bond. It’s mental!
He may not be our worst ever manager but 2 wins from his 10 league games is hardly an impressive ‘turnaround in form’ is it?

Bond's record so far is W3 D2 L7 ?
NO. How do you get that?
W3 D2 L6 (including the league cup), or W2 D2 L6 (league only).

Anyone who wishes to criticise Bond's record loses all credibility if they can't get their facts correct.

Last edited:
NO. How do you get that?
W3 D2 L6 (including the league cup), or W2 D2 L6 (league only).

Anyone who wishes to criticise Bond's record loses all credibility if they can't get their facts correct.
Ah yes - W3 D2 L6 including a win over Conference-bound Stevenage. Where exactly did I criticise? I just quoted (slightly erroneously!) his record, i.e. 27% win, 55% lose, one league goal in 4 games (and an OG at that) and ten conceded. That's the reality, if you're happy with that I suggest you may be in the minority.

How on earth has Kevin Bond got more votes than Ronnie Whelan, Rob Newman and Peter Taylor put together? Three of the worst abject failures we’ve ever had! Some people seem have decided that our turnaround in form and miraculous escape from relegation was nothing whatsoever to do with Kevin Bond. It’s mental!
I think the lack of votes for Peter Taylor would be because anyone who remembers Peter Taylor also remembers Alvin Martin, both awful managers.
I'd guess the votes for bond are coming from a generation that don't go this far back

I think the lack of votes for Peter Taylor would be because anyone who remembers Peter Taylor also remembers Alvin Martin, both awful managers.
I'd guess the votes for bond are coming from a generation that don't go this far back

Agree PT and AM was awlful times, but in fairness to PT he took the role at turbulent times and I think proved himself with other teams compared to many who sit on the manager merrygoround each season winning nothing

Agree PT and AM was awlful times, but in fairness to PT he took the role at turbulent times and I think proved himself with other teams compared to many who sit on the manager merrygoround each season winning nothing

I think PT proved himself a good coach elsewhere, you are correct. I was focusing on his time here and I think it was partly a case of it being totally wrong for him. I think it is known within the game that PT is good at coaching a compliant group of players but doesn't have the side to his personality to dish out discipline etc. Basically a nice guy.

I was there for Alvin but for Bond smashed him out the park with his wacky tactics. This guy would take us to non league in no time. Needs to go now

I was there for Alvin but for Bond smashed him out the park with his wacky tactics. This guy would take us to non league in no time. Needs to go now

Bond has the opportunity to surpass Alvin but that would mean him sustaining this awful form for the whole season. For Bond to go below Alvin he would have to carry on and make no impact, I personally think that we will see some kind of gelling of the team before long. Possibly still not great but good enough to surpass that Alvin Martin team

My enduring memory of Alvin Martin is the disrespect he showed to Sada N'Diaye by referring to him as Pepe.

The correct answer is Chris Powell by the way

The Chris Powell that had promotion form after he first took over and then had to deal with the worst injury crisis I can remember in 33 years of supporting the club? Come on mate, we've had much worse than him.

Where's Alvan Williams - he should be on the list and the short tenure of Stewart Robson?

While Alvan Williams took us down in 65/6 before running a pub in Wrexham (IIRC) his record doesn't really compare with Dick Bate's :-In June 1987, Bate was appointed manager of Southend United by the club's chairman Vic Jobson without consulting his fellow board members. He reign lasted just ten games with a solitary victory in the Football League Cup and he departed with the worst record of any Southend manager in history." (Wiki)

Stewart Robson only lasted 3 games as I recall.

Surely KB can't last much longernow?

Back