• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
2 draws 4 defeats and a league cup defeat followed by 3 wins another 4 defeats and another 3 wins peaking with a 3-0 defeat at Newport on 15 Jan 71 - Newport’s first win of the season.
I knew there was 4 defeats at the start of the season

How on earth has Kevin Bond got more votes than Ronnie Whelan, Rob Newman and Peter Taylor put together? Three of the worst abject failures we’ve ever had! Some people seem have decided that our turnaround in form and miraculous escape from relegation was nothing whatsoever to do with Kevin Bond. It’s mental!

How on earth has Kevin Bond got more votes than Ronnie Whelan, Rob Newman and Peter Taylor put together? Three of the worst abject failures we’ve ever had! Some people seem have decided that our turnaround in form and miraculous escape from relegation was nothing whatsoever to do with Kevin Bond. It’s mental!
It’s just a poll posted after 4 consecutive losses in the league and we need to see it in that context mate, just as 20% of the refs who’ve ref’d at Roots Hall are the worst to have ever graced the turf. Years from now, history will show whether it’s wrong or right.

Right now though, it’s just a reaction. Even if he were to leave this week, he’ll rightly always be the manager who kept us in League One when we looked absolutely certain to go down. If we’re going to use results to condemn him for mission failure this season, then we have to accept that he achieved his mission last season. On that basis, no matter what he’s trying to do right now, he’s not even close to the worst.

I don’t think Taylor was bad. He inherited Fry’s squad who didn’t want to play for him.

It’s just a poll posted after 4 consecutive losses in the league and we need to see it in that context mate, just as 20% of the refs who’ve ref’d at Roots Hall are the worst to have ever graced the turf. Years from now, history will show whether it’s wrong or right.

Right now though, it’s just a reaction. Even if he were to leave this week, he’ll rightly always be the manager who kept us in League One when we looked absolutely certain to go down. If we’re going to use results to condemn him for mission failure this season, then we have to accept that he achieved his mission last season. On that basis, no matter what he’s trying to do right now, he’s not even close to the worst.

Indeed:Thumbs up:

To answer an earlier comment I put Brown in the list as whilst I agree he did some good stuff he acted like a total prat towards the end and in effect advertising he'd prefer to be somewhere else by saying he was up for Bolton etc vacancies as they arose which was unforgivable. Had he shown some loyalty he would ot have lost the fans/dressing room and could well have still been there
Didn't put Bobby Moore on the list as no one could have managed the club during the behind the scenes turmoil he had to put up with

To answer an earlier comment I put Brown in the list as whilst I agree he did some good stuff he acted like a total prat towards the end and in effect advertising he'd prefer to be somewhere else by saying he was up for Bolton etc vacancies as they arose which was unforgivable. Had he shown some loyalty he would ot have lost the fans/dressing room and could well have still been there
Didn't put Bobby Moore on the list as no one could have managed the club during the behind the scenes turmoil he had to put up with

Myth that never happened....And yes i did see the programme when he was asked about a struggling Bolton.....He answered with the same affection that you would expect AB to say if he was interviewed tonight about Southend.

Seeing as he was still friends with the ex Bolton Chairman who I met when he came to watch us play at RH.....Why for one second would he have to 'apply' for a job via the TV

I remember watching Prosser thump it long when he had all the time in the world. At that time no defender ever played short, always banged it long. I said I would rather lose trying to play good football than watch that.
My wish has come true.

I remember watching Prosser thump it long when he had all the time in the world. At that time no defender ever played short, always banged it long. I said I would rather lose trying to play good football than watch that.
My wish has come true.

You do have your wish - have you changed your opinion now ?

My wish has come true.

I’ve always hated hoofball and always enjoyed watching the ball stay on the deck. It’s all a bit more nuanced than that though isn’t it? I like the ball on the deck when there is zip, purpose and forward thinking to our passing, as well as some useful movement off the ball. I dislike aimless hoofball which has no real purpose but I don’t mind getting the ball into the final third quicker and through longer passes if we are then gonna get the ball down and knock it around on the deck with zip and purpose on the edge of the opposition’s penalty box, where it matters.

Im not a bond fan but tbh even if he loses 10 games on the trot and gets sacked he has still done more then half the names on that list by keeping us up.

The alvin martin, newman and little eras were far far worse then things are now. The squad was full of terrible northern journeymen. The football was diabolical attendances were on the floor and there was no hope anywhere..... i imagine a lot of the bond out posters are just hoping someone else comes in asap and gets the best out of the players bonds bought in. Before its just another long dead season with a scrap at the end. And coming to terms with the fact that if he does stay our best hope for the whole season is to not go down....

On the plus side tho we're only 8 points off the playoffs :Smile:

Ps nothing against northerners. Just really felt at that time the club was soulless and doooomed

2 draws 4 defeats and a league cup defeat followed by 3 wins another 4 defeats and another 3 wins peaking with a 3-0 defeat at Newport on 15 Jan 71 - Newport’s first win of the season.

Ah!

The Newport game. They had four points at the time I believe.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

All the way from Southampton to watch that!

Ah!

The Newport game. They had four points at the time I believe.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

All the way from Southampton to watch that!

At least we didn’t have to pay to get in. Nobbler made sure we got comps.

Owen Simpson and Dave Chambers played their last games, Brian Lloyd only played 3 more, Mike Beesley 4 and Chisnall 5.

In came Terry Johnson, Dave Elliott, John Roberts and Peter Taylor and Gary Moore from injury

I think the first forage into Posh's area after 2 or 3 mins was the move that summed up the entire game for me, we moved the ball around at the back went down the right was on the attack, next thing it was back to the defense - WTF?
I only thought England did that ?
I recall Tilly's first full season in charge, we were 2nd from bottom with 1 point had not won a game and York City were sitting pretty at the top of the league with 12 points out of 4 - What happened at the end of season, York went down we went up! Optimism I know lol
But it takes time for a team to gel, however losing to Posh is embarrassing as they're not a good side either.
Also a footnote on a ex Canvey manager who was manager of Lincoln and them beating us, last time they did that they never won another game all season and went out of the league, wishful thinking I know but football does bring up some weird coincidences and they did lose to MK Dons ;)

Lets hope the players decide they want to make it work instead of just happy to be earning decent money, Troy Deeney summed up football last year when he said 'I used to pay to play football' that is the sort of attitude these players should have!

I clicked Ronnie Whelan because he got us relegated out of spite, but Peter Morris and Trevor Whymark were the worst!

Back