• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager Ever

Worst Manager Ever?

• Dick Bate

• Ronnie Whelan

• Peter Morris

• Alvin Martin

• Bobby Moore

• Colin Murphy

• Steve Wignall

• Rob Newman

• Chris Powell

• Phil Brown

• Peter Taylor

• Kevin Bond

Results are only viewable after voting.
To me, Bonds record says it all.

Played: 13
Wins: 3
Losses: 8
Draws: 2
Goals for: 15
Goals against: 28

Yes it's looking very Dick Bate like

Played 10
Wins: 1
Losses: 7
Draws: 2
Goals For: 16
Goals Against: 32

Dick went after 6 successive league defeats.

what was Steve Wignall's record?
I seem to recall he had a very similar record to Bond (although he won his first game of the season) but we were in freefall in a similar way.

Ha! I remember Francis Cagigao signing for us.Did he actually play a first team game though?

He appeared in the Zenith Data Cup tie at Watford on 2/10/91 in a 1-0 victory and was an unused sub in the 2-0 home defeat by Wolves 4 days before.
He also came on as sub in the 1-0 home defeat by Sunderland on 28/11/92.

1. Bate
2. Wignall
3. Morris
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Newman
7. Powell
8. Brown

.... with Bond set to enter the charts at No. 2 at the weekend

Now I know that Brown’s time in charge ended poorly but come on Andrew, he got us promoted, gave you one of the greatest ever days you have had as a Southend fan and left the club in a far better position that what he found it when coming in to replace Paul Sturrock. Very harsh judgement there ?

Now I know that Brown’s time in charge ended poorly but come on Andrew, he got us promoted, gave you one of the greatest ever days you have had as a Southend fan and left the club in a far better position that what he found it when coming in to replace Paul Sturrock. Very harsh judgement there ?

I've been picked up on this earlier in this thread. I agree that PB did a good job ... for a period, but in reality he should still be doing it but shot himself in the foot continually and it is that which grates for me. OK, many of us may covet something better, but for PB to repeatedly hint he would jump at other job opportunities was IMHO unforgivable. We all know he wasn't born a Shrimper, but once in charge he should have at least pretended to be one. His actions re blabbing about Bolton etc set the tone for a downward spiral we haven't really recovered from as yet. What he did set folk against him and that gathered momentum and so led to a downward spiral he couldn't stop. What a silly man.

I've been picked up on this earlier in this thread. I agree that PB did a good job ... for a period, but in reality he should still be doing it but shot himself in the foot continually and it is that which grates for me. OK, many of us may covet something better, but for PB to repeatedly hint he would jump at other job opportunities was IMHO unforgivable. We all know he wasn't born a Shrimper, but once in charge he should have at least pretended to be one. His actions re blabbing about Bolton etc set the tone for a downward spiral we haven't really recovered from as yet. What he did set folk against him and that gathered momentum and so led to a downward spiral he couldn't stop. What a silly man.

Brown was one of the best Managers we have had! I would only rate Tilson and Webb higher.

Heard from a neighbour tonight that Kevin bond is getting sacked tonight if that’s true does anyone know who they might get to replace him

I think that KB has had his chance, he knows our frailties in defence and he signs.........Liam ****ing Ridgewell

Interesting thread, difficult to say who the worst;
Can’t vote for Colin Murphy as he signed Collymore,
Can’t vote for Bobby Moore... lifted the World Cup he did!
Dick Bate only had 6 games so bit unfair to say it’s him

Worst Manager must be either Wignall (win ratio ~26%) Whelan (~24%) or maybe Peter Morris (~21%) ? Not sure Paul Clark was that great either (win ratio of ~28%), but not on the list.

I see a lot of votes for Alvin Martin, but can’t recall how bad his record was?

Last edited:
Back