• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0 - 4 Oxford United

I never wanted Sol, and so far he's done nothing to change my mind about that. I have no idea at all what the answer is to our current predicament, but I'm 99% sure that it isn't Campbell.

Have to agree with you on Sol, if he was that good he would have been snapped up after he departed from Macclesfield but I didn't see many teams rushing for his signature......maybe just maybe we could survive if we cleared out most of these donkeys but I fear the point gap will be too big for us to get back.......

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell feels the Shrimpers have a mountain to climb if they are to stay in League One.

More...

Sol might be reluctant to say it's a mess but I am happy to say it for him!

I cannot believe the negative comments regarding Sol Campbell. He's been in charge for ONE MONTH. He's walked into an absolute mess and can hardly be expected to turn a squad full of pigs' ears into silk purses already, particularly with so many of the squad still out injured.
I appreciate today was another shocking display but give the man a chance.

I cannot believe the negative comments regarding Sol Campbell. He's been in charge for ONE MONTH. He's walked into an absolute mess and can hardly be expected to turn a squad full of pigs' ears into silk purses already, particularly with so many of the squad still out injured.

because his tacticts today were shocking, surely he can see that this team are not good enough to play the way he wants.....funny how the supporters can see this but he can't so sorry to say he holds a good part of todays $hit sandwhich firmly in his hand

I certainly didn't expect anyone to come in and do that, but I did expect whoever got the job to realise within their first week in the job that they're not going to get this shower of **** playing like Barcelona.

I want Sol to succeed, surely we all do, but he ain't going to do so unless his tactics are more realistic for this group of players whose confidence is totally shot away because they can't play the skilful football that he wants. He might as well be giving the team briefings in Serbo-Croat for all the good he is doing.

Can we buy Accrington Stanley's team in January? They know how to score.

We needed a street wise manager who knew the lower leagues and the type of player & type of football required, the problem is Sol was born and breed a Premier league player who has no idea what a league 1 player is capable of doing. In the first half (i sit in south upper) i spent my time with my hands over my eyes and my hair going grey every time we tried to play the ball out. Top managers play to the players strength not make them and the supporters nervous wreaks, time will tell but on this showing my mark for Sol 1/10

Must mention Hutch going to be a very good player - too good for us

An ex Premier League and England international in charge. He is trying to get league 2 quality players to play PL tactics that they don’t understand and are incapable of doing - a la Bond.

We are in deep deep doo doo and in serious trouble. I really am concerned that we will not have a Southend United to support next season

Playing three centre-halves doesn't work on so many levels. It hasn't for other managers, either.

It's a negative move. The second goal came from having a third centre-half. The pass back to Dieng wouldn't have happened if we only had two CH's.

The other issue is it leaves one light in midfield and the full-backs are expected to be wing-backs. I can think of only one occasion either of them got to the bye-line.

I felt for Taylor. He should never have been expected to play that sort of pass.

Rule one of defending is to defend (i.e stop the opposition scoring).

I was chatting afterwards about the set up in 1980-81. Two no-nonsense centre-halves and defensive midfield player and two full-backs whose role was to defend.

A tireless workhorse in midfield and a creative player.

A holding striker and a goal poacher.

Football really is a simple game.

We had 67% of the ball and at times didn't look too bad, but we're always one dithering mistake away from conceding.

There's no point in having a pretty floral garden if you don't shore up the dam and stop it flooding!

Everyone was well pleased with us playing like Barcelona midweek against Wimbledon’s U12 reserve team....and everyone was full of support for playing the same team that had a win under their belts.....

No one considered that the game the circumstances and the outcome may differ with the opposition?

I didn't bother going today, helped collect for the local foodbank instead, legit sadly less depressing....

Not making it easier trying to get sh*t footballers to play possession football! Oxford were direct, trying to get the ball forward quickly and effective.

What i saw today....
Players with brittle confidence scared of being berated from the touchline
Players who have been coached to think they are man city instead of league 1
A manager who shouts and berates as though he's on the field playing instead of managing through motivation and coaching and guidance in the week
A lack of ability to change tactics to 442 until way to late - totally over in down the gaps down the wings
A manager that for reasons unknown won't play the club's strongest players or put ones he chooses in their strongest positions
Players who have no clue whether they're supposed to be 11 behind the ball or taking risks to score
All to often players look Campbell to see where he wants them next by which time the balls past them

I'd like to see......
League 1 tactics from league 1 experienced players ,
A manager that understands what league 1is about and that there's a reason man city aren't in it
play out from the back only when appropriate in a forward passing way only otherwise win those second balls up the field
Free kicks and throw ons etc - forwards not backwards
442 until we achieve a few clean sheets
Manage through planning not through manic on the spot waving

Personally I didn't see any step up in fitness
I saw things appear to sadly have become not just no different but now also confused

Just my opinions on what I saw at today's game compared to the last home saturday game

The answer is a tried and tested league 1 manager and maybe not one who likes being the focus of media attention (again)

Not making it easier trying to get sh*t footballers to play possession football! Oxford were direct, trying to get the ball forward quickly and effective.
Listened to him on Bbc Essex on the way home, he said basically his team will play football and those staying will be playing this way and the ones coming in likewise so why play a old system that will be changed with the arrival of better players

I had thought one of Sol’s first priorities was stopping the goals against .. what happened there? We simply can’t keep playing 5 at the back and we ain’t good enough to pass our way around the opposition. We need to tighten up, close down, fight from the forwards to the defenders .. all over the pitch. We don’t need good footballers, we need tacklers, battlers, warriors. In my opinion anyway. Let’s at least give these teams a game. We gifted Oxford the first two goals!! But what do I know, I’m just a bloke who sits with a hot dog and a Bovril in the South Upper.

Feel as though Sol has been dealt a duff hand. Ron should have appointed him 7 games beforehand.
On the other hand Ron should have appointed anyone other than KB in the close season, god he had some decent options on experienced L1 managers, but no, Ron chooses Bond; and 007 buys a load of lemons which Ron could ill afford. Ron then sacks Bonday, and dithers, star struck for 2 months with the Ex-Barca Ex-Natty dreadhead Larson which predictably goes tits up, leaving him with little options.

2nd choice Sol was a great player, but he and his white cashmere coat are on a different sphere than our inept non league level muppets in this squad.

Ron time to face facts, we are on a relentless downward spiral, Fossets Farm will never happen, at this rate SUFC will be reduced to kicking a ball round the top of the Seaway multi-storey carpark on a Saturday night... sell up now, actually Ron - you’re fired!

Back