• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0 - 4 Oxford United

Bad idea to give Taylor his debut .. very very bad idea --
and if you are going to play him tell Dieng and co to be careful with him for the first 20m

Bad idea to banish Lennon -

The the usual crap ref does not send off the OX no.6 for a terrible tackle on Macca -

Then Dieg bales out Taylor with a "me too" moment of crapness ..

Then we played oK - defended well ... started to get into it ..

Last 5 minutes they got a gift from Cox and another ..

Could have been 0-0 without the gifts and with them being down to 10 could have nicked

All the players looked a few pound lighter and fitter

Going to Bristol full of optimism .. yep - I think Campbell is progressing

still hating the roots hall moaners and groaners - backs against the wall time ... don't come if it makes you so unhappy ..

Bishop 6 - done some good stuff

Elvis - 8 got battered for the shirt

Ralph 6 - looked better and strong goinng forward

Kiernon 6 - didn't concede a goal and good defensive work

Taylor - debut destroyed after 90 second ... to much too soon .. was finshed after 60m

Dieng 3 - good game but gave them a goal

Milligan - 3 - didn't concede a goal

Hamilton - 5 - didn't concede - does the donkey work

Cox - 4 conceded a late goal - looked sharper as we bagan to push on 2nd half

Hopper 6 - no decent service

Macca - 8 - total effort and committment

Goodship 6 - looked lively

HUTCH - 7 looked quality

John White 11 - doing a charity collction ... if only he was fit we would not have played Taylor and he knows when to get it down field

SOL - 8 ..... terrible error putting Taylor in - and overdoing the passing out from the back ... but clearly has improved the fitness and spirit in the squad. A strong line in the sand has been drawn for players who are not fit and maybe not totally committed - thinking that players like Mantom, Shagassay, Lennon, Demetriou ,Humphries, Hyam are learning that Sol would rather play kids than put up with half fit "professionals" with half arsed poor attitude ..

His pre-match comment were things around the club "had got a bit loose" .. I think he is getting it sorted and has my full support as do the players playing for him.
'Bad idea to banish Lennon'? Really?
Do you know how players discuss this sort of thing among themselves? Remember, they've got plenty of time to kill.
No statement of intent; and it's goodbye to the last 10% of team spirit.

'Bad idea to banish Lennon'?

I happen to agree with that - cutting off our noses to spite our faces, forcing us to play a youngster who didn't look to me as if he was ready for blooding.

You know, we are short of confidence, low on ability and relying on a mix of players who still don't look fit and youngsters who are being exposed to a toxic atmosphere.

Says a lot when we concede 4 and yet our young goalkeeper is one of a few to come out with credit.

I struggle to understand why our wing backs were further forward than our two forwards for large portions of the game, and I also struggle to see why our best CF was played wide and deep for so much of the time - including making a great tackle late on deep in our own half.

Individually, I thought a number of our players looked positive - Ralph seemed to get forward a lot; Dieng, mistake apart, continued to be our most impressive CB; Hamilton had the best game I've seen him have yet for us and McLaughlin continued to put full effort in. Elvis also did ok, and, when he came on (why did he not start?), Hutchinson looked the pick of the team.

I've got a lot of time for Simon Cox, who is always brilliant at any JB event, but he is simply not the player he was last season, and I don't think him and Hopper look to be on the same page at all.

Sol needs to go back to basics, play L2 football which includes hoofing and hitting it long, dropping the ridiculous backwards and sideways passing which is absolutely killing us, and letting our forwards play in the right place on the pitch.

Another thing I just thought of, we need to play dirty. I am fed up with getting penalised by officials when we've really not done anything. So, if we're going to get punished, let's deserve the punishment.

Management speak translated - and I've heard a few hundred interviews in all leagues over 30 years.

'mathematically we’re still there' - not really. We're going to get relegated.

'hopefully the players are around me too'. He can see they are not.

'I’ve got to turn it around not just football wise but in other areas too'. The team spirit stinks.

'We’ve got to get solid because everything has been very loose here'. It's Bond's fault.

“There wasn’t a good pre-season here'. It's Bond's (and Ron's fault).

OBL I dont often say this but among some dross and among some bitterness and vindictive posting - your posts are ALWAYS objective, fair, interesting, intelligent and tactically accurate.

I always look forward to your contributions and long may they continue.

Shabby !!

Taylor & Dieng clumsy mistakes...all caused by the insistence of "pussy footing it around the penalty area".

Chasing shadows, a 10 minute spell of promise..shattered by 2 give away goals at the end.

Massive frustration with the desire / orders to play it out...little if any urgency shown.

See you all at Brizzle

UTB always

OBL I dont often say this but among some dross and among some bitterness and vindictive posting - your posts are ALWAYS objective, fair, interesting, intelligent and tactically accurate.

I always look forward to your contributions and long may they continue.

Thank you. I do try!

Can I just add, it was lovely to see @AndyT up in the Centre Circle Lounge while I was selling Shrimpers Trust Christmas Quizzes.

Likewise @OldBlueLady

I will complete the quiz, too. Looks good.

Funnily enough, it was even subdued up there today. Not even a Crowny quiz, either!

Likewise @OldBlueLady

I will complete the quiz, too. Looks good.

Funnily enough, it was even subdued up there today. Not even a Crowny quiz, either!

Really? They were being done in the other lounges - plenty of time for our quiz, doesn't have to be in till January!

I cannot believe the negative comments regarding Sol Campbell. He's been in charge for ONE MONTH. He's walked into an absolute mess and can hardly be expected to turn a squad full of pigs' ears into silk purses already, particularly with so many of the squad still out injured.
I appreciate today was another shocking display but give the man a chance.

It's easy for you to say that mate, but you didn't experience what I did today. Campbell, like Bond before him, seems to think we're capable of Prem standard passing from the back. Sol's had some time to instill his ideas, yet today was as bad as Bond's last game v Rochdale. I was hoping for at least some improvement. :Cry:

Do I want Sol gone, of course not. But having said that he has to shoulder some blame for the awful tactics today. Bond and Campbell have got a combined total of ZERO points trying to force our incapable squad to play Prem tactics.

At least Waddock got a few points going more direct. Until the squad is improved we have to play to our strengths. Go more attacking, long balls to Hopper, and get players around him, a la Tranmere away.

Last edited:
Bad idea to give Taylor his debut .. very very bad idea --
and if you are going to play him tell Dieng and co to be careful with him for the first 20m

Bad idea to banish Lennon -

The the usual crap ref does not send off the OX no.6 for a terrible tackle on Macca -

Then Dieg bales out Taylor with a "me too" moment of crapness ..

Then we played oK - defended well ... started to get into it ..

Last 5 minutes they got a gift from Cox and another ..

Could have been 0-0 without the gifts and with them being down to 10 could have nicked

All the players looked a few pound lighter and fitter

Going to Bristol full of optimism .. yep - I think Campbell is progressing

still hating the roots hall moaners and groaners - backs against the wall time ... don't come if it makes you so unhappy ..

Bishop 6 - done some good stuff

Elvis - 8 got battered for the shirt

Ralph 6 - looked better and strong goinng forward

Kiernon 6 - didn't concede a goal and good defensive work

Taylor - debut destroyed after 90 second ... to much too soon .. was finshed after 60m

Dieng 3 - good game but gave them a goal

Milligan - 3 - didn't concede a goal

Hamilton - 5 - didn't concede - does the donkey work

Cox - 4 conceded a late goal - looked sharper as we bagan to push on 2nd half

Hopper 6 - no decent service

Macca - 8 - total effort and committment

Goodship 6 - looked lively

HUTCH - 7 looked quality

John White 11 - doing a charity collction ... if only he was fit we would not have played Taylor and he knows when to get it down field

SOL - 8 ..... terrible error putting Taylor in - and overdoing the passing out from the back ... but clearly has improved the fitness and spirit in the squad. A strong line in the sand has been drawn for players who are not fit and maybe not totally committed - thinking that players like Mantom, Shagassay, Lennon, Demetriou ,Humphries, Hyam are learning that Sol would rather play kids than put up with half fit "professionals" with half arsed poor attitude ..

His pre-match comment were things around the club "had got a bit loose" .. I think he is getting it sorted and has my full support as do the players playing for him.
Agree re most, Elvis for me was a 7, think your being harsh on Cox there, when he was up top he was ok, midfield isnt his position, and when he was for that goal there were a lot of defenders that didnt respond at least he gave an effort, Macca for me isnt suited to number 10 role but your mark was spot on,

I’m not one for detailed tactics, so what is meant to be the advantage of playing it out from the back all the time? Is it purely to bring the opposition forward to then make a telling forward ball? I honestly couldn’t see what the ‘potential’ advantage of playing it out from the back was?

Happy to be enlightened by anyone with the tactical know how.

I’m not one for detailed tactics, so what is meant to be the advantage of playing it out from the back all the time? Is it purely to bring the opposition forward to then make a telling forward ball? I honestly couldn’t see what the ‘potential’ advantage of playing it out from the back was?

Happy to be enlightened by anyone with the tactical know how.

It's about possession isn't it?

2 positives from today:
1. The ladies deaf choir before kick off. I thought they were brilliant. Can anyone remind me of their cause and how to donate?
2. Our supporters. I know Oxford brought a fair few, but to get the numbers we did is incredible, really. And apart from some screams of frustration and disbelief at the tactics we were employing, they did their level best to try and lift the team.
On the game itself, if that doesn't convince Sol to change the set up, nothing will. Did he get Macclesfield playing that system when he miraculously kept them up I wonder?

Greetings folks, as a former resident of the posh end (Leigh) it was nice to get one over you at looooonggg last. We`ve been on fire for a while, not sure why, but things have just clicked into place. Barring the glaring errors that gifted us goals (Thanks!) you played better in the second half. We had a close call with Sol C (the greatest mind in football he says....) however I would think you need to get someone in alongside him who knows the grind in Div 3. Keep battling on, its a long old season and there is plenty of time to turn things around.

Back