• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Rotherham Utd 14th December 2019 15:00 hrs ko.

What's your starting 11 and result prediction for Saturday?

• Total voters
Unless we can perform like the first half (or at least close to it ) last Saturday for at least 75 mins I fear we are in for a pasting. Rotherham are a big side and we could easily crumble. Going for a 4.1 loss.

Love to be proved wrong.
Regrettably have to agree. Just cannot see anything other than another big defeat. Hope I am very wrong. COYBB

Really got a good feeling about this one. Southend 0-3 Rotherham.
How has it got to this, that a 3-0 home defeat is seen as a “ reasonable score- could be worse”
It really is pathetic.
I almost want moshni back at CB , we wouldn’t be bullied as much and there would be something to get excited about every now and again. His error rate/ concentration level whatever is probably better than what we.

Alas I really just can’t see us going a game without conceding——- so with positive hat on, southend 2- win with 1 with one of the defenders scoring ( not an own goal)

Going to go for 5 at the back.
Not my favourite players, but bring back Lennon and stick with Milligan.
Hutchinson got to be left out to shore up defence, Unfortunate for him but points a priority.
Very Defensive line up.
Maybe a clean Sheet. Well I was at M.K.

Oxley
Elvis. Deing. Lennon. Kiernan. Demi.
McLaughlin. Milligan Mantom.
Hump. Hopper.

I fear we are in for a pasting. Rotherham are a big side and we could easily crumble.

Seems to me that every team we play is a 'big side' these days?. In theory big/ tall players take longer to turn, so a shorter team should be able to beat these players keeping the ball on the ground. However to counteract that, when a tall team start hoofing it, they have the advantage of winning an airborne ball.
But as we all know, ( many of us through our working careers ) theory & practise are 2 different entities!.

If fit I'd also go with Hump & Hopper up front...this will necessitate a supplier of crosses etc, so Macca, with Mantom and Demi holding the midfield.
Ox ? fair bet, as mentioned above,
Why not give Clifford a go at left back - it's his position, and he's left footed !! (probably why he's not on the list, natural positions are null and void)….:Winking2:
Dieng, Elvis and perm any 2 from Lennon, Kiernan and Milligan

It’s the back 4/5 that frightens me,

I don’t like a 5, or rather I don’t like the way we do it , which means 5 across the back and outnumbered in midfield with no one to pass to and no one picking up runners.

I don’t think Taylor is good enough yet based on what I have seen. A weak link in a solid defence may be ok, but we are not good enough to cover for any mistakes he makes. I would consider playing Demi as left back, but recognise he was apparently very good in midfield on Thursday.

Any formation/ team selection has holes it. Realistically we know we need to score at least two to win, but we also know we can’t weaken the back line as “ we concede 3 or more (almost) every week”.

I just want to see hard work, organisation and some decent tackles/aggression.

Watched Everton /Chelsea highlights and Everton were a revolution with big dunc as manager in terms of effort and closing down etc. That’s what I am hoping to see from Sols team

I like the look of Taylor, to be honest. I actually think he could make a good left-sided centre-half, but needs a strong leader next to him. A kind of Anton Ferdinand type character.

I wouldn't blame him for any of the goals on Saturday and his mistake apart against Oxford, he showed a fair amount of confidence and presence.

Above all, defenders need to be brave and I think he has that.

Expect to see this man celebrating a hat-trick

4eb60307-9d7b-43bf-b91f-c9b651d81332

Freddie Ladapo is clearly the biggest danger Rotherham pose, that's what £500,000 can buy you (though five times that can buy you a dud like Will Grigg).
If Ladapo neither scores nor assists then Southend might just have a chance.

Rotherham always seem to have a big bloke who causes us danger. It was Keifer Moore last time.

That said, little blokes cause us danger and those blokes that are neither large or little do, too.:Goal:

Freddie Ladapo is clearly the biggest danger Rotherham pose, that's what £500,000 can buy you (though five times that can buy you a dud like Will Grigg).
Just out of curiosity do you come on this forum to just remind yourself that there's always someone worse off than yourself, no malice in that just wondering. More fans of other clubs should come on here to laugh at us. We're making history and it needs to be recognised.

Taylor just isn't ready yet, especially at left back. Demi could play there, but against Burton and for 60 mins against Brizzle, he was all over the place in midfield and doing the job Milligan should be doing, so I wouldn't want to take him out from there.

Really stuck for other options at left back though? Other than that, would keep it the same as last Saturday. I hope Hopper is fit and 100%

100% behind the team ...

on the look out for the moaners and groaners.

Its a tough position to be in - lots of young players needing confidence not knocking ..

Bishop, Elvis, Hamilton, Hump, Taylor, Hutch,

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell is unsure if striker Tom Hopper will be fit enough to feature against Rotherham United this weekend.

More...

Don't risk him. With Bolton, MK Dons, Wombles, Tranmere and Accrington to follow we need him to win those five games for us rather than be crocked by the Millers.

Rotherham have gone off the boil recently, being defeated by Portsmouth and last Saturday by Rochdale (their first win after five straight defeats) and struggled to beat MK Dons in their last three league games. I'm hoping for a draw. COYB!

It would be nice if we ever got the chance to have players like Ladapo.

Ahh....... wait a minute........

Back