• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

Another umbargo, thanks Ron and thanks for taking an age to allow us to know a little bit about whats going on, scuse me while i duff my cloth cap in enormous gratitude

He hasn't let you know tho. A few of us did, and now the Echo. But he still hasn't said we're under an embargo.

The Echo 'understands' but from what source? As usual, it raises more questions than answers.

Interesting that the money is owed to HMRC (possibly because the EFL are breathing down on us hard and Ron felt it more pressing to pay football creditors first this month) but a winding up petition has not yet been issued.

It's a sad state of affairs but Ron has long had to prioritise who gets paid first and who has to wait a bit longer for their money. We live a hand-to-mouth existence.

As someone said earlier, without Ron, it's a quick death. With Ron, it's a slow death. Oh glory be.

Blimey. What are things coming to when I’m relieved and consider that a positive article! :Smile2:
Likewise, but “oh thank god it’s just us being in debt to HMRC ” really can’t be a good thing. But it FITS and surely it’s an ongoing consequence of what we’ve been witnessing for some time. It’s been evident from our recent decisions that we’ve been in (are still in) a cashflow crisis. What’s important is whether or not we get out from under it quickly - not because we need to sign players as we’re down anyway. This is surely now about short term survival?

It does further vindicate Sol Campbell in his “I don’t know, speak to Ron” comments. Sol might not be everyone’s cup of tea but he’s certainly taking one for the team at the moment, albeit he may not have too much choice in the matter.

I see this as a clever self-protection ploy by HMRC. After the public outcry over Bury and Bolton, HMRC don't want to appear to be the villain of the piece by putting another club out of business by winding it up through the courts, so they pass the ball to the EFL to do the dirty work for them through its own sanctions system.

Suspect the source will be anonymous to protect them. Probably inside the club, but not the top man.
I just wonder who has the power to impose a transfer embargo? Presumably the EFL rather than HMRC and that the reason is that the former is investigating the club's financial situation in the light of both the wages delay and the winding up order. Until they have concluded their inquiry the embargo will supposedly remain in place. We really need some clarity in these matters but Martin's whole modus operandi seems based on smoke and mirrors so it's asking too much that for once we get a clear, unequivocal statement of the true position.

I just wonder who has the power to impose a transfer embargo? Presumably the EFL rather than HMRC and that the reason is that the former is investigating the club's financial situation in the light of both the wages delay and the winding up order. Until they have concluded their inquiry the embargo will supposedly remain in place. We really need some clarity in these matters but Martin's whole modus operandi seems based on smoke and mirrors so it's asking too much that for once we get a clear, unequivocal statement of the true position.
Very much so how could the HMRC put us under a transfer embargo we have had several winding up petitions but that hasn't resulted in an embargo for a long time. EFL expressed their concern about the way the club was being run when we had the wages issue. Looks like they are trying to punish us for late payment of taxes in a different way.

I thought the HMRC debt was "dismissed" end of Jan?...

So is this not the case?

Is this a result of that?

Or is this a new HMRC debt?

No doubt there will be a super informative statement to follow from our great leader later, blaming HMRC for picking on us etc.

So let's work out the timings. If we had to tell the EFL we're late paying then we would have let them know on the 28th Jan. That could only therefore be because we hadn't paid December's bill to HMRC (because January's isn't due by then). Assuming that gets paid next week we can then sign a some players.

However, that leaves a bigger question. If we are now only paying December's bill, we must still be overdue on January's bill, and we'll have to let the EFL know that by the 28th Feb, at which point we'll be under yet another embargo. However, that probably won't impact us as much because we won't be trying to sign anyone. It does mean that we will literally have just next working week to ensure any signings are completed.

Last edited:
So let's work out the timings. If we had to tell the EFL we're late paying then we would have let them know on the 28th Jan. That could only therefore be because we hadn't paid December's bill to HMRC (because January's isn't due by then). Assuming that gets paid next week we can then sign a some players.

However, that leaves a bigger question. If we are now only paying December's bill, we must still be overdue on January's bill, and we'll have to let the EFL know that by the 28th Feb, at which point we'll be under yet another embargo. However, that probably won't impact us as much because we won't be trying to sign anyone. It does mean that we will literally have just next working week to ensure any signings are completed.

Sounds about right.

So if that is the case, then I presume a fresh winding up petition is imminent and also further complications with player/staff salaries at the end of this month, with Ron scrambling down the back of the sofa to prioritise the HMRC debt.

A few home games of late may have helped a little, but whether that will cover the HMRC bill and general operational costs I very much doubt...

Back