• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United could be back in June but games will be behind closed doors

Profits over fans, again. If the season is important enough to finish it then it's important enough to be able to wait for fans to be in attendance too. If for no other reason so there is a chance they have a team in existence to support after these games have completed.
I thought I would be growing in desire to see games again, I am just growing in anger at the transparentness and ineptness of those in control of our game, money is a lifeblood but they are slaves to it. It makes no difference to me if we stay up or go down but games being played without a crowd when the only timeframes are self-imposed will do more harm than good to club finances for all but the premier league and their huge TV deal and guaranteed commercial values. JUST WAIT so we can see it, at least pretend it's a sport of the people.

See in the Times today the lawyers have shot done one of the EFL/UEFAs favourite fantasies pointing out that blanket extensions of contracts between players and clubs is not possible under contract law in England. If either the player or club or both don’t want to agree/negotiate an extension it simply can’t and won’t happen. Apparently football contracts specifically run to June 30 and not end of season and each contract is specific to the parties.
Pretty much a given.
And so if you're a Southend senior, do you feasibly want to play out the last nine with nothing to show for it but a relegation on your CV?
Especially with the ever-present threat of not being paid.
Or do you wait for your agent to sort you a new club asap?

The only way to resolve this is to offer a vote to each club.

Option 1. Void season as is with no relegation or promotion.

Option 2. Void season as is with only automatic promotion and relegation being filled as is. Any teams that have played less games than those in the autos being awarded a point per game in hand. No play off games.

Option 3. Teams to agree to try and finish the season if feasible to do so.

Let the club's have there say and have time to consult their respective management, players and fans.

Then the ball is in the court of the teams. A simple majority rules. That way there is no way the club's can try and sue etc as they will have cast the deciding vote.

It absolves the FA, premier league and EFL of responsibility whilst empowering clubs.
You forgot option 4 which would be the least contentious
No relegation but promote teams in the automatic places .Adjust relegation places where needed to get things back to normal for the following season.
Scap the league cup to allow for the extra games.
A clear decision now would at least give clubs and players a chance to plan for next season and season tickets prices could be fixed to allow at least some income to be raised. Unfortunately the Premiership dominate and lead and the EFL just buckle to their wishes.
Even an August start now looks like wishful thinking without a vaccine

Never going to happen, just abandon the season start again August. Playing behind closed doors, what happens when the first player has a spit? game abandoned straight away.
quite right. If its not safe for supporters to attend , why is it safe for players to come in close contact with each other

Profits over fans, again. If the season is important enough to finish it then it's important enough to be able to wait for fans to be in attendance too. If for no other reason so there is a chance they have a team in existence to support after these games have completed.
I thought I would be growing in desire to see games again, I am just growing in anger at the transparentness and ineptness of those in control of our game, money is a lifeblood but they are slaves to it. It makes no difference to me if we stay up or go down but games being played without a crowd when the only timeframes are self-imposed will do more harm than good to club finances for all but the premier league and their huge TV deal and guaranteed commercial values. JUST WAIT so we can see it, at least pretend it's a sport of the people.

Why? It would delay sales of season tickets for next year? Show matches on ifollow, free for season ticket holders (so no refunds will be required), sell passes for 7 or 8 quid a time. A lot of that revenue goes to clubs. Keeps things ticking over, otherwise they will have zero income until possibly September time. Many clubs will go bust by then, and players who contracts run out in June will be unemployed for 3 months.

Why? It would delay sales of season tickets for next year? Show matches on ifollow, free for season ticket holders (so no refunds will be required), sell passes for 7 or 8 quid a time. A lot of that revenue goes to clubs. Keeps things ticking over, otherwise they will have zero income until possibly September time. Many clubs will go bust by then, and players who contracts run out in June will be unemployed for 3 months.
You may have access to figures that I don't but through my findings in other areas I work the take up online will be tiny comparatively outside of those already committed to a season ticket, who aren't generating new income if you quite rightly don't charge them (you could argue that those people would want refunds if not but thats the same argument as waiting until they can see the game in person).
I wouldn't be surprised if the burger bar will take more than those watching Southend online and iFollow is terrible with the tiny number of people subscribing now as a mechanism to view without streaming issues. If sky/BT guaranteed they would show every game then there starts to be an argument but it all sidesteps a very real issue that I can't be the only person with this view, football is awful without a crowd, the players have admitted as such too and, if you don't have a crowd there is very much the argument there is no home advantage so that could also throw the validity of an even season in the balance.
It's a uniform problem for players contracts running out, it's not limited to one or two clubs so I don't think it's as strong an issue, plus, selfishly wearing Southend hat it probably plays into our strategy of offloading as well.
More than happy to be proved wrong on the income, more than happy to sidestep personal preferences if other people enjoy football with no crowd but it's not the sport I know and love and I don't think it satisfies the criteria that people are shouting about finishing the season to make it fair when a large percentage of the games are played without any form of advantage. Would you play a two legged cup tie without fans?
I think club's are just as likely to go bust with no match day revenue other than a literal hope that people pay online (which there will be illegal streams everywhere anyway and people are skint now from not earning). Everything that is spent on the day off pitch is done with revenues in mind, catering, clubshop, corporate, the bars other than the policing and stewarding which we would save on those two things granted.
There isn't an easy answer, arguably there isn't a right answer basically but I can't help but think we wait and do it where clubs can earn from a crowd or write it off.
It feels like behind closed doors games are a further loss not an increase in revenue.
That was longer than I intended :-)

Until the current threat of this disease rapidly diminishes ( if ever? ), then i cant see how spectators will be allowed back into a football ground?. No point in having the social distancing rule still operating, if once inside you are sitting within inches of someone you dont know?. And also the half time crush to use the Loo?
Same goes for pubs re-opening?.

Back to the Police station!.
Is that an invite? Rather not, thanks.
I suppose one could join the queue getting off the train at Prittlewell.
The FH staff could wander down the line taking orders and money, so yours would be ready as you made the door!
I'm having fun with the image, but you guessed that:Hilarious:

Very dangerous, but the events of the last few weeks have really got me thinking.

This virus isn't going to disappear overnight, so just how safe will it be to go back to watching matches at Roots Hall. Social distancing is likely to be the normal for the foreseeable future. Even allowing for a slow easing of the current restrictions. How safe will supporters feel on coaches going to away fixtures ? Indeed, will coach travel to matches even be a viable option.

My feelings are that until a vaccine is developed and administered, I am certainly going to have to think very carefully about football.

Very dangerous, but the events of the last few weeks have really got me thinking.

This virus isn't going to disappear overnight, so just how safe will it be to go back to watching matches at Roots Hall. Social distancing is likely to be the normal for the foreseeable future. Even allowing for a slow easing of the current restrictions. How safe will supporters feel on coaches going to away fixtures ? Indeed, will coach travel to matches even be a viable option.

My feelings are that until a vaccine is developed and administered, I am certainly going to have to think very carefully about football.
Vaccine will be six months, THEN testing, THEN administering, THEN the (for want of a less savage turn of phrase) clean up. Events will be happening prior to that, whether people want to attend, yourself included, is a totally different point though. Whole industries are reliant on live activity in sports, entertainment and business development.
Unfortunately I think they will wait until the daily death toll is nearer 2 figures than 3 and carry back on hoping that people will self police to an extent and then the vaccine will bring it down further. It's horrendous in every conceivable way and will be I imagine the worst period of human fear for many of those living through it now. I don't know what the new 'normal' bill be though, paranoia will be rife.

As much as I miss football I would not go until it is safe to do so and in the light of what is happening I can’t see this season or the next starting anytime soon . No one knows if this virus is a once in a lifetime occurrence or if there second wave on the way .The future is very uncertain at the moment.

Thats when you should start to worry. I certainly wont be first in the queue. Although I expect it to be a requirement for international travel etc.

Clubs can't legally show games at 3pm on Saturdays.
I'm not sure whether that is primary or secondary legislation and how feasible that is to change in time.

Games could be played at other times but that wouldn't be ideal.

Once the restriction is removed, would that be the death bell for the Football League - we've seen how Tuesday night crowds struggle on Champions League nights when there's live football on? Once that restriction is lifted there may be no coming back.

We also need to consider the profile of the average crowd at a Football League game: predominantly male, often old - the customers will be proportionately more at risk than most other industries.

(Of course this will be driven by the Premier League's needs, rather than the Football League)

Clubs can't legally show games at 3pm on Saturdays.
I'm not sure whether that is primary or secondary legislation and how feasible that is to change in time.

Games could be played at other times but that wouldn't be ideal.

Once the restriction is removed, would that be the death bell for the Football League - we've seen how Tuesday night crowds struggle on Champions League nights when there's live football on? Once that restriction is lifted there may be no coming back.

We also need to consider the profile of the average crowd at a Football League game: predominantly male, often old - the customers will be proportionately more at risk than most other industries.

(Of course this will be driven by the Premier League's needs, rather than the Football League)

Interesting side note that seems to have flown under the radar, they relaxed the Saturday 3pm screening of games ruling for this season literally a few days into the initial postponement of games.

Back