• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Season suspended again?

Perhaps to use as some sort of trial for a mid winter break under the cover of Covid. It’s something that has been muted for years.
Can’t imagine the Premier League/FA would want to do that this season with the Euros due to go ahead in the summer. The schedule is already tight enough without having to rearrange 2 weeks worth of games with a major tournament to think about in the summer.

If it’s stopped for 2 weeks Covid will be the reason, not a cover.

A break isn't even a break really.
Players need to keep training to retain proper match fitness. A proper break of a couple of weeks only results in injuries for clubs like ours and at higher levels is used to make money in exhibition tournaments around the world dressed up a training camps\ bonding breaks. Although up to 3 weeks is recognised as no loss of muscle efficiency the break from 100% exertion on the key areas simply leads to strain and pulls or tears on resumption

Reactions: fbm
I agree that a break would need to be longer than 2 weeks for it to make any real difference for cases within the game, any break longer than that will need players to complete a mini preseason.

I can see the season being curtailed as football isn't really essential and all the noises from the government is about only essential work and travel taking place. If the season is paused it won't restart, clubs will find reasons to plead poverty and the majority will vote to null and void to survive for another day

Football will carry on. The numbers will be dropping soon and ST holders will be back in for early March to watch our play off run take shape.

Reactions: fbm
Football will carry on. The numbers will be dropping soon and ST holders will be back in for early March to watch our play off run take shape.

I have a feeling that with the team actually feeling like they give a **** and working the nuts off to get us out of the trouble that we are in, that we could see some sizeable crowds at the hall when all this is over.

Be brilliant to see a sell out and the players who haven't been here for long to experience the roots hall roar.

British Boxing was suspended in January due to the need for Medical staff.
Apparantly it has been given the ok to re-start in February.
So if Boxing does re-start, no way will they suspend Elite Football.

I have a feeling that with the team actually feeling like they give a **** and working the nuts off to get us out of the trouble that we are in, that we could see some sizeable crowds at the hall when all this is over.

Be brilliant to see a sell out and the players who haven't been here for long to experience the roots hall roar.
Unfortunately I doubt if it will be this season.

Depends on your idea of 'soon'.
I doubt there will be any easing until March at the earliest, and even then maybe a return to the tier system, which has and is set to be a lottery.
The news this morning from Whitty is the 'worst' is yet to come.
However, if games keep on getting postponed, an extended season well into May is also on the cards.

I think football could get back more quickly than we think.

In addition to the vaccine you have an increasing number of people getting Covid, many of which do not end in death, and in turn these people will not need vaccines until later in the year because they will have the antibodies.

By the end of Feb I would think that the vast majority of, if not all, the vulnerable will have received vaccines. Three weeks after that, I think they will be allowing people back in stadiums.

Of course I could be completely wrong, I mean, what do I know? But I'm going for crowds back by Easter.

You heard it here first.

In addition to the vaccine you have an increasing number of people getting Covid, many of which do not end in death, and in turn these people will not need vaccines until later in the year because they will have the antibodies.

By the end of Feb I would think that the vast majority of, if not all, the vulnerable will have received vaccines. Three weeks after that, I think they will be allowing people back in stadiums.

Of course I could be completely wrong, I mean, what do I know? But I'm going for crowds back by Easter.

You heard it here first.
Firstly, the government's timetable on vaccinations is doable by the skin of his teeth, according to the experts.
Any hitch, and that end of February timetable gets put back.
Why three weeks after do you think spectators be allowed back?
The vaccination programme and case incidence are two different things.
In August, numbers came down significantly, and what happened next?
I doubt the same mistake will be allowed to happen twice.
One thing I would agree after watching the debacle called the FA Cup this weekend, is the FA are determined to keep football going, even if it means me and thee putting on our boots!

You heard it here first.
I make that about right.

Assuming 22% have had it already and have a degree of protection. Add in 25% of adults who will have a first jab by mid feb. There will be some overlap in those 2 groups, but it’s not unreasonable to say 40% will have a good degree of protection by end feb. Maybe 60% by Easter. It’s not here immunity but it will massively reduce R.

Thought about this not too long ago, that first week when we can be back in, the teams come walking out to 5.5/6K. For a few of them it will be their first time playing in front of a proper proper crowd and something that im sure they will remember for a long time.

Im getting a little feeling that something good is brewing with MM and his team, the fans getting back in cant come soon enough.

Depends on your idea of 'soon'.
I doubt there will be any easing until March at the earliest, and even then maybe a return to the tier system, which has and is set to be a lottery.
The news this morning from Whitty is the 'worst' is yet to come.
However, if games keep on getting postponed, an extended season well into May is also on the cards.

Extended season i thought would mainly be a pickle for the top division due to euros. When I typed this message it was from a dreary eyed miserable seat on the C2C heading to work. Having woken up a bit now I think 'soon'realistically for me would be mid/late march. If the gov are saying restrictions can be eased once the vulnerable categories are vaccinated we may have limited numbers again for a while but at least we will be in at some capacity.

For what it's worth in my humble non medically educated opinion the mass testing and monitoring of cases of people that aren't sick can stop when the people at risk of death are vaccinated therefore should be a fairly swift return to cracking on Without case numbers dictating tiers and lockdowns and so forth. But as I minutes ago said to my colleague im no virologist, anything could happen at the minute and who bloody knows anymore

Cant see season ticket holders back this season personally.

I think Lockdown will carry on till mid to late march, with numbers dropping, however the GVT cannot afford to relax early like they did last time so there will still be stricter guidelines than before after lockdown.

Just my view but ST’ likely next season if vaccinations go well and numbers are lower than they have been for a long time

Firstly, the government's timetable on vaccinations is doable by the skin of his teeth, according to the experts.
Any hitch, and that end of February timetable gets put back.
Why three weeks after do you think spectators be allowed back?
The vaccination programme and case incidence are two different things.
In August, numbers came down significantly, and what happened next?
I doubt the same mistake will be allowed to happen twice.
One thing I would agree after watching the debacle called the FA Cup this weekend, is the FA are determined to keep football going, even if it means me and thee putting on our boots!

3 weeks is about the time that 70+% immunity will be in force from the vaccine. The difference between now and last August is the vaccine - which we will keep giving until everyone has it.

The virus is never going to go away, but we will have to learn to live with it, like chicken pox, measles, flu etc. It will kill some people every year, as does flu. But if it's damage can be limited to the damage flu does, we can get back to normal.

Extended season i thought would mainly be a pickle for the top division due to euros. When I typed this message it was from a dreary eyed miserable seat on the C2C heading to work. Having woken up a bit now I think 'soon'realistically for me would be mid/late march. If the gov are saying restrictions can be eased once the vulnerable categories are vaccinated we may have limited numbers again for a while but at least we will be in at some capacity.

For what it's worth in my humble non medically educated opinion the mass testing and monitoring of cases of people that aren't sick can stop when the people at risk of death are vaccinated therefore should be a fairly swift return to cracking on Without case numbers dictating tiers and lockdowns and so forth. But as I minutes ago said to my colleague im no virologist, anything could happen at the minute and who bloody knows anymore
And that is where the argument falls down, sadly.
Case numbers will always dictate the next govt move.
More testing means more numbers, of course, but how can the govt allow spectators back into grounds when numbers are still high?
It would be like saying all restrictions now have been for nothing.
As said above, testing is good, but the other side of that coin is there will be more positives.

3 weeks is about the time that 70+% immunity will be in force from the vaccine. The difference between now and last August is the vaccine - which we will keep giving until everyone has it.

The virus is never going to go away, but we will have to learn to live with it, like chicken pox, measles, flu etc. It will kill some people every year, as does flu. But if it's damage can be limited to the damage flu does, we can get back to normal.

Expect to hear something about virus immunity/vaccine certificates before then.

I make that about right.

Assuming 22% have had it already and have a degree of protection. Add in 25% of adults who will have a first jab by mid feb. There will be some overlap in those 2 groups, but it’s not unreasonable to say 40% will have a good degree of protection by end feb. Maybe 60% by Easter. It’s not here immunity but it will massively reduce R.
Assuming you're right, then 40% could still be infectious.
You think the govt are going to allow 40% to infect each other?
That's a bit like saying we'll only have just under half the deaths we're getting now.

Back