• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Mansfield Town

About what I expected tbh, Mansfield are a good team in very good form. We were unlucky with the injuries because I reckon Elvis makes it harder for them to score there.

We need some reinforcements but we're in the fight already and other results went our way

The Mansfield players gave the ref the decision to make by getting in his face, he clearly didn’t even see it, otherwise the ‘stamp’ would have been a straight red.

And given straight away. When he gave the free kick the ref was just outside the box. By the time he gave the card he was on the halfway line of the other side of the pitch.

God this team ****! Reinforcements are needed!

They may not be great, but I still think this set of players are better than where we are (look at teams like Grimsby!), but MM keeps messing around with the side and formation, so it's no wonder the players looked confused!!

le
A 1-0 defeat against a good, confident side who had won their previous four games is actually not a terrible result for us. We have to keep our heads up and beat Bradford and Port Vale.
lets take our eye of todays actual match for a moment, and focus on our team, was there enough in todays match day squad to have changed that result today? Absolutely not.. thats why we lost

forget the half chances, and if buts and maybes, we chased shadows for the majority of that match, we chased shadows for the second half against Cambridge, we have 2 possibly three significant midfielders out injured, a bench full of kids, a strike option of Aquah, and Halford having to play forward then right back. we can talk all we want about each game and each match, but ultimately we have two weeks to try and salvage our season or be relegated out of the football league in over 100 years of history

at the back end of last year, Ron spoke so vigorously about fund being available for new players, should the club pass the initial planning meeting (which we did) he spoke about how , once the window opens MM will be given the luxury to make the significant changes needed to stay up ..

Well here we are, loosing again at home, that fine 7 game run, now all but a memory, and falling away back to lack of confidence no game changers and being totally over ran for 90 minutes. Mansfield were a seriously good team today, big powerful worked hard (much harder than we did) and when we brought Aquah on, they brought on cooke. Sorry for the rant, just feel totally totally lost at the moment with the club, and a chairman who scott free does as he pleased lies, and plays smoke and mirrors with us all .. I ****ing hate him, for what hes doing to our club

The Mansfield players gave the ref the decision to make by getting in his face, he clearly didn’t even see it, otherwise the ‘stamp’ would have been a straight red.

He did see it, he was looking straight at it. The fact he gave the wrong card is irrelevant.
And do you really think our players would have been any different?
How about people taking personal responsibility for their own actions for once.

The problems haven’t changed- they are there under huge big flashing red lights, accompanied by a big flashing arrow. We need to sort it out up front- we still need a decent frontman. Probably we need two - we currently have Acquah, and a winger turned 9 ( all be it doing a good job). All the rest are wide players.

It is so blindingly obvious it’s impossible to imagine something so utterly glaring on a biblical scale isn’t being addressed.

My concern is that our apparent desire to stick to signing players who come up green on our extensive “moneyball” type algorithms and spreadsheets needs to be parked in favour of good old fashioned progmatism. Before we seek our perfect signing we need to address the immediate need. Sometimes that’s someone who is actually available and will cost ££ (newsflash decent CF’s do). In other words if someone who can do the job comes up ACT- even if he is not on the list of players we have been “tracking”.

If Bowery came up available out of the blue I fear we would turn the other way because he’s not on the “list” of players we have been tracking..

Rant over

What can you say. I keep saying it, MM is a poor manager, no plan A, so you was never going to get any plan B or C. When will people wake up.

A 1-0 defeat against a good, confident side who had won their previous four games is actually not a terrible result for us. We have to keep our heads up and beat Bradford and Port Vale.
Careful, with that reasonable sensible comment.

Today highlights we need a goalscorer. Or two. Over to you Ron ..

le

lets take our eye of todays actual match for a moment, and focus on our team, was there enough in todays match day squad to have changed that result today? Absolutely not.. thats why we lost

forget the half chances, and if buts and maybes, we chased shadows for the majority of that match, we chased shadows for the second half against Cambridge, we have 2 possibly three significant midfielders out injured, a bench full of kids, a strike option of Aquah, and Halford having to play forward then right back. we can talk all we want about each game and each match, but ultimately we have two weeks to try and salvage our season or be relegated out of the football league in over 100 years of history

at the back end of last year, Ron spoke so vigorously about fund being available for new players, should the club pass the initial planning meeting (which we did) he spoke about how , once the window opens MM will be given the luxury to make the significant changes needed to stay up ..

Well here we are, loosing again at home, that fine 7 game run, now all but a memory, and falling away back to lack of confidence no game changers and being totally over ran for 90 minutes. Mansfield were a seriously good team today, big powerful worked hard (much harder than we did) and when we brought Aquah on, they brought on cooke. Sorry for the rant, just feel totally totally lost at the moment with the club, and a chairman who scott free does as he pleased lies, and plays smoke and mirrors with us all .. I ****ing hate him, for what hes doing to our club
You can say it’s all Ron’s fault if that makes you feels better. And maybe it’s Ron that insists we bring in more and more wingers. I don’t buy it. MM needs to identify what we do need and is available and challenge Ron to make it happen- the history is RM has repeatedly backed managers. If Olayinka goes back forget about more midfielders, more CBs, a 4th or 5th LB- focus it all on a couple of CFs

If we go down now it won’t be because we are a relegation team defensively it will because of the blindingly obvious fact we lack goals and goal threat. In fact we do not have a single forward that you could describe as a “finisher”. Not one. Zero. Zilch.

What can you say. I keep saying it, MM is a poor manager, no plan A, so you was never going to get any plan B or C. When will people wake up.
TBF when we go behind he is lacking in attacking options. Although he does make the mistake of trying to keep his “best” players on the pitch. So when Elvis went off he has a RB on the bench. But no put Halford in there. All this cr*p about he started his career there. He is 36 now and not yet 100% up to speed. Bad decision. He would have been better going 352. When we have injuries and substitutes and end up playing more and more people out of position it always end in tears. Simply bring Howard on and all the round pegs stay in the round holes.

Oops I will finish..defensively we have improved a lot ..but we so desperately need a striker ..I do fear that we will perish and drop I am afraid

On the Commentary it said the ref didnt see the Dieng foul and was surrounded by the Mansfield players I agree but they were also pointing to the Linesman who was said to have seen it and alerted the ref , hence some confusion on the yellow or red

Absolutely daft thing to have done again and as Paul Clark re-iterated our senior players who keep doing daft stuff, (especially mentioning Demi and Macca )would benefit from a fine warning as we need them on the pitch

He did see it, he was looking straight at it. The fact he gave the wrong card is irrelevant.
And do you really think our players would have been any different?
How about people taking personal responsibility for their own actions for once.
I’ll have to watch it again on the highlights then. I watched the replay and couldn’t see anything remotely close to a stamp. It also didn’t look like the referee had seen it, or at least he didn’t react to it straight away. Maybe I missed it.

Not sure that's right.He was clearly reaching for the red as the ball was cleared out of the box.

He didn't reach for the red. He reached for the yellow then the red but not until the Mansfield players cried like babies. A stamp is a red card, the ref gave a second yellow. Clearly he didn't see the incident but gave Deing a second yellow because of Mansfield players whining

Back