• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Port Vale 5-1 Southend United

I see the absolute weapons are out in full force abusing MM on Twitter.

Hard to call them “weapons” he has signed 14 players so this is his team and he has to take responsibility. We’ve been bottom of the league all season, have just been thrashed by a side who haven’t won in 11 games and now look dead certs to lose our privileged league status, something we have retained for over 100 proud years. How **** exactly do we need to be before you might join the “weapons”?

Oxley 3
Bwomono 2
Hobson 3
White 2
Cordner 2
Hart 2
Demetriou 1
Dieng 4
Taylor 4
RHF 2
Akinola 6 MOTM

ANG 4
Clifford 3
Ferguson 5
Walsh 4
Acquah 3

Great strike from Ferguson, Akinola worked hard. The rest indefensible, non-existent statuesque defending. They are not playing for MM so time to go and get some people in who have some fight and passion.

Just as a bit of pretext - I love this club and I’m totally behind both MM and this group of players; I feel when at full strength and set up correctly we’re a good side.
However, what I have witnessed today is nothing short of disgraceful. I’ve just paid £10 there to basically watch attack v defence - with us mustering one shot on target (albeit an excellent one). If the players and management think it’s acceptable to subject us to the last 4 performances, including the big crescendo today, they need a huge wake up call.

I won’t be posting ratings, frankly from what I can see I might as well get in touch with the club and play myself on the left wing, which believe me I will do if I see another performance like that next week.

However, All this hot air of MM losing his job is honestly hogwash. The work he has done prior to the last 4 games has been exceptional given the limited resources he has at his disposal. However, MM is most certainly responsible for the shambles that has been the last 4 games.
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but it’s not learning that 5-3-2 does not work with these players that has angered me. One or two games? Ok no problem, worth the experiment. Continuing on having watched the sub-par performances against Cambridge and Mansfield? A wreckless decision. The results? Catastrophic.
I hear MM talk of limited options to play the 4-2-3-1 that was very effective during our recent unbeaten run. Definitely not the case today if we’d lined up like this:

Oxley

Bwonomo

White

Hobson

Hart

Demetriou

Dieng

ANG

Taylor

Hackett-Fairchild

Akinola

Basic stuff really. If you really wanted to, play Cordner in the CDM role. The guy looks like he can play with the ball at his feet, even if evidence he is competent at defending is lacking.

That said, despite MM’s recent shortcomings, to suggest he is worthy of being sacked for the performances over 4 games and indeed for the bad tactical set-up is crazy talk.

As for the players, well whilst MM has picked the wrong shape, the players could certainly make a better fist of executing it to say the least.

Basically, if you’re going to play a 5-3-2, it only means a flat 5 when you are defending. When in possession it should look more like 3-5-2, with the full backs pushing on to make the midfield. I can only guess the idea of sticking with the 5-3-2 was to utilise the wide pitch at Vale Park.

However, I didn’t see any willingness from either full back to push up. Instead what we did was sit deep and invite pressure, with absolutely no adventure to break out. That lack of execution of the formation is wholly the responsibility of the players. If the players aren’t familiar with the formation, they probably shouldn’t be professional footballers so I don’t think you can target MM for the players ‘not looking comfortable’ or ‘looking disorganised’ in this formation. The players need to pull themselves together on that front.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing in the second half, and even a marginal improvement but frankly we were dead and buried by then.

I still believe we will stay up. I still believe in MM and the players too. However, we are only staying in this division if show confidence in and utilise our creative players, specifically by playing them in a 4-2-3-1 irrespective of how our opposition choose to line up.

Great post mate, totally agree.

I’m still firmly behind MM, but not afraid to say he’s got it very wrong lately. I don’t get changing the shape and system following our upturn in fortunes. I also don’t get why ANG isn’t the first name on the teamsheet. I think he’s a cracking player at this level and always looks dangerous. I just desperately want to see a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 next game. There shouldn’t be any pressure to play Cordner just because he’s a new signing. White and Hobson were great during that run.

Just as a bit of pretext - I love this club and I’m totally behind both MM and this group of players; I feel when at full strength and set up correctly we’re a good side.
However, what I have witnessed today is nothing short of disgraceful. I’ve just paid £10 there to basically watch attack v defence - with us mustering one shot on target (albeit an excellent one). If the players and management think it’s acceptable to subject us to the last 4 performances, including the big crescendo today, they need a huge wake up call.

I won’t be posting ratings, frankly from what I can see I might as well get in touch with the club and play myself on the left wing, which believe me I will do if I see another performance like that next week.

However, All this hot air of MM losing his job is honestly hogwash. The work he has done prior to the last 4 games has been exceptional given the limited resources he has at his disposal. However, MM is most certainly responsible for the shambles that has been the last 4 games.
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but it’s not learning that 5-3-2 does not work with these players that has angered me. One or two games? Ok no problem, worth the experiment. Continuing on having watched the sub-par performances against Cambridge and Mansfield? A wreckless decision. The results? Catastrophic.
I hear MM talk of limited options to play the 4-2-3-1 that was very effective during our recent unbeaten run. Definitely not the case today if we’d lined up like this:

Oxley

Bwonomo

White

Hobson

Hart

Demetriou

Dieng

ANG

Taylor

Hackett-Fairchild

Akinola

Basic stuff really. If you really wanted to, play Cordner in the CDM role. The guy looks like he can play with the ball at his feet, even if evidence he is competent at defending is lacking.

That said, despite MM’s recent shortcomings, to suggest he is worthy of being sacked for the performances over 4 games and indeed for the bad tactical set-up is crazy talk.

As for the players, well whilst MM has picked the wrong shape, the players could certainly make a better fist of executing it to say the least.

Basically, if you’re going to play a 5-3-2, it only means a flat 5 when you are defending. When in possession it should look more like 3-5-2, with the full backs pushing on to make the midfield. I can only guess the idea of sticking with the 5-3-2 was to utilise the wide pitch at Vale Park.

However, I didn’t see any willingness from either full back to push up. Instead what we did was sit deep and invite pressure, with absolutely no adventure to break out. That lack of execution of the formation is wholly the responsibility of the players. If the players aren’t familiar with the formation, they probably shouldn’t be professional footballers so I don’t think you can target MM for the players ‘not looking comfortable’ or ‘looking disorganised’ in this formation. The players need to pull themselves together on that front.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing in the second half, and even a marginal improvement but frankly we were dead and buried by then.

I still believe we will stay up. I still believe in MM and the players too. However, we are only staying in this division if show confidence in and utilise our creative players, specifically by playing them in a 4-2-3-1 irrespective of how our opposition choose to line up.

I would have gone back to the defence that was working previously; Elvis, Dieng, Hobson and Clifford. I think both White and Hart have been poor recently, though I may have started Hart LM.

Hard to call them “weapons” he has signed 14 players so this is his team and he has to take responsibility. We’ve been bottom of the league all season, have just been thrashed by a side who haven’t won in 11 games and now look dead certs to lose our privileged league status, something we have retained for over 100 proud years. How **** exactly do we need to be before you might join the “weapons”?

Tweeting MM and calling him a “thick ****“ makes you a weapon in my book.

This is how we lined up versus Colchester - one of our better performances this season. Only 2 changes. Can;t believe the difference from that team that pressed high up the pitch and worked so hard
1612027777469.png

In a few years of low, today we've hit rock bottom. To lose to teams like Cambridge and Mansfield and to a certain extent Bradford given their recent run of form I can take but to be humiliated by a managerless team who before today had only one win in eleven it's unforgivable. Right now, I'm embarrassed to be a Southend United fan and for me to admit that it hurts, it really really hurts because this football club has given me so many good times over the years but right now we are sinking without any sign of stopping the rot.

Up until now I have been patient with MM but I'm afraid tonight that patients has run dry. I said after the Bradford game that he has to now realise that 5 at the back doesn't work. Instead his stubbornness has got the better of him and he has stuck with it once again and low and behold we find ourselves 3-0 down before an injury forced him to change it around. I call it stubbornness because what else could it be? We saw how long it took him at the start of the season to stop us from playing out from the back despite conceding at least a goal a game through a mistakes. This despite people from within the club saying that MM and his staff often stay late after training to watch previous games etc. Well if that's the case, how and why are we still persisting with this formation? It's no coincidence that this latest run of bad form has coincided with change of formation. I am yet to hear a reason as to why he even changed from what we were doing well with throughout December. I am lead to believe he likes the 5-3-2 system because stats tell him that we get more crosses in to the box using it. If that's the case then I'm lost for words. The only stat that should matter is that using this formation, we have picked up ZERO points. I am well aware that this job was always going to be a struggle, especially being his first at this level but for me he isn't learning on the job, or certainly quick enough for me to justify why he should be kept around for next season in the National League because that's where we are heading. The fact that we had such a good run in December proves that we have enough quality in the team to pick up points but for me, right now MM is a big reason as to why we aren't picking any up.

I say MM is a big reason but he isn't solely to blame. Whether or not you think the 5 at the back system is the problem and I think I've made it clear that I don't, these are still professional footballers who are letting him, us and the club down massively. MM has been allowed to bring in 14 players this season and in truth you'd properly say about 5 of them have been any good. Look at the centre back partnership that ended the game today. Hobson and Cordner, jesus christ. That partnership would look out of place in the non-league. Hobson has looked okay at times this season why alongside Dieng but more often than not he is very suspect. Tyler on Tuesday looked decent, he looked committed and was decent with his feet, Today though, he looked like someone you'd find on a Sunday league pitch. Not cut out for this level at all. Kyle Taylor started the season well but in recent weeks he has been missing in games. Much can be put down to the formation not getting him in to areas where he can have an effect on the game but he needs to do more for me. Demi, a player I've been fond off over the years but I'm getting a bit sick and tired of watching him drop 5/10 performances now along with his wayward passing and his constant moaning at the referee. He as Paul Clarke often says is a right back filling in at centre mid. Sam Hart.. a returning hero who in the first couple of weeks was the Sam Hart who wore his heart on his sleeve that made us all fall in love with him. In recent weeks though he has been truly awful, not good enough.

I don't know what the answer is, I generally believe that whether it's MM in charge or someone else we are heading in the same direction and that's out of the football league. It would take a heroic effort from the players and manager (new manager) for that to change. I personally don't see it. Today has been the first time this season I'm resigned to the fact that we are a non-league club in waiting. With a handful of days left in the transfer window left and the need for a striker evident, a lot could ride on whether or not we bring one in.. and for one I don't want that to be Nile Ranger.

On the bright side, that was some hit from the new boy today. I hope we see more of that from him.

Ox 6. Not a lot he could do with most of that

Elvis 1. Was his back playing up?
Hobson 1. Awful
Cordnor 2. Cordswallop
White -1. Worst of the back 3, missing tackles etc. Seriously, if he wasn’t John white and he didn’t play for us, would anyone want us to sign him ? No. Of course not.
Hart 1. Gone backwards. Passing forward was terrible.

demi 0. Worst I’ve seen him play
Dieng 2. Game passed him by
Taylor 1. Passing off

RHF 1. Gave the ball away consistently
Akinola 5. Had a go.
Subs

ANG 4.
The rest I won’t mark as I was barely paying attention after 4-0.

Ok. So why so bad? Here it is:

About 5 minutes into the second half, Taylor lost the ball in midfield. He bust a gut to get back. Really bust a gut. The ball was in the box and he tackled their lad who was amazed that he didn’t have the time and space that he had for the rest of the match.

Taylor only bust the gut because he gave the ball away. No one else bothered. Taylor didn’t bust the gut when his team mates gave it away.

We were so bad today because the team didn’t put the effort in. They didn’t work hard enough. They didn’t care about each other. They couldn’t give a toss about the fans, the club or the manager.

If something has gone on behind the scenes so that professional players do that then fair enough. If there is no agenda, then that lot should all be ashamed of themselves. They’re not fit to wear the shirt

Pathetic. Passionless. Clueless. Players didnt know where they were supposed to be playing , Didnt look happy with the 5 at the back . Punchless up front.

All of the above arent exactly news , we ve seen it time + time again , just rubbish from the management.

OXLEY 3 --- STATIONARY AGAINST THE WALL IN A FIRING LINE
ELVIS 3 --- CLEARLY STRUGGLING WITH HIS INJURY
WHITE 2 --- 5 AT THE BACK= EVERYONE GETTING IN EACH OTHERS WAY
HOBSON 3 --- CLUMBSY , LUCKY TO ESCAPE WITH ONLY A SINGLE YELLOW
CORDNER 3--- SO SLOW + SLUGGISH
HART 1 --- LOOKED LIKE HE DOESNT WANT TO BE HERE
DEMETRIOU 1--- NASTY,NIGGLY, CARELESS. DESERVED 6 YELLOW CARDS
TAYLOR 2 --- SLUGGISH, OUTNUMBERED IN MIDFIELD , NOT INTERESTED
DIENG 2--- ANONYMOUS APART FROM WHEN HE WAS KICKING PEOPLE
AKINOLA 4--- FRUSTRATED,ISOLATED, NO SERVICE, WALKED OFF INJURED
HACKETT-FAIRCHILD 3-- RUN ABOUT BUT DID NOTHING
SUBS:
NATHANIEL-GEORGE 5--- GOOD SKILLS, DIDNT LOSE THE BALL, SOME PASSION TOO
CLIFFORD ---0.5 --- WHAT A STINKER! AWFUL, MADE WORRELL LOOK LIKE MESSI
FERGUSON--6 HAS GOT A LOT OF CHAT, LOOKS STRONG, SCORED A SCREAMER
WALSH 2--- DID A LOAD OF STEPOVERS, BUT NOTHING ELSE
ACQUAH 1 -- USUAL LUMBERING, SLUGGISH, SLOW, PASSIONLESS HALF EFFORT

MOLESLEY + HIS STAFF --- ZERO --- Really bad . Made a really poor Vale team look like world beaters. The fella who is the head of player recruitment needs a rollocking for not signing a proper targetman all season , even though every Blues fan has seen exactly what we need.
5 at the back is a disaster, as we all keep telling him. Leaves the midfield woefully outnumbered , the strikers terribly outnumbered. The ball does not stay up front on the few occasions it gets up there. The 5 defenders got in each others way + left it to each other. There is no decent attacking width , no outball , no confidence. Every player looks like they want to leave the club .

Make no mistake about it . We are going down. We just resort to kicking the opposition, we are a nasty , horrible team full of wind up merchants , whingers + cheats - non league quality pub players. No passion.

Its just embarrassing.

2 for everyone for me, because I don't think most of them wanted to be playing 5 at the back anymore than us! And it showed!
We looked clueless and shapeless.
Actually I'll give Ferguson 3 due to the strike and MM 1.

No fight, no passion, no playing for the shirt, at least our youngster's played with a bit of passion. So bloody depressing, I feel angry and upset........

It's not often I'm pretty much speechless but I don't really have any words. The shape was wrong, no idea what the tactics were, the players looking the most disinterested I've seen since... probably last season which tells you something.

I can't back that tonight. I don't want MM gone, I feel for him and believe most people who seem to want him gone don't understand the situation this club is in, but I can't back that today.

I don't really know what else to say. You think it surely can't get any worse and it does

Well, that was difficult to watch. We went into the game set up for a draw against a disspirited Port Vale team on a poor run with a stand-in manager. We should have played Acquah upfront alongside Akinola, when he eventually came on he caused the Vale defenders problems and created space.. Five at the back meant we surrendered the midfield to them. Of course we weren't helped by an excellent Vale goal after 55 seconds and our heads went down. We were weathering the storm for 20 minutes or so before Cordner deflected a shot that was missing the goal into it. After that there was only one winner in the game.

MM must be to blame for the wrong set-up. It's been wrong for the past four games but he doesn't seem to have learned. The players were very poor though. It didn't look like they weren't trying, just that they were inept and lacking in skill. Where did all that harrying of the opposition, not giving them time on the ball, and men running fast into the opposition half which worked so well in December go......? We are missing Egbri, Macca and Goodship but the others and their replacements should be able to do better than today.

I can't waste emotion on today's game, instead I'm going to put it behind me and look to the future. The good news is that both Grimsby and Barrow lost today and next week they have tough games against Cheltenham and Newport while we face Walsall at home. By 5 o'clock next Saturday things could look much better for us. But can MM motivate the players to perform much better......?

Back