• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

Safety is the reason often quoted (although some of clubs suddenly found it safe enough to play their Trophy games at the weekend!) but you're right. Money is the issue - well it's two issues. Many clubs feel that the National League board, under the recently honoured (God knows why) Brian Barwick, have been less than judicious in their perverse allocation of the grants already awarded for the first three months. Secondly there was a great deal of miscommunication between the clubs, the board and DCMS regarding the format of the next tranche of support. What was expected to be further grants, properly allocated now appear to be loans. Records of meetings not taken or gone astray and a lot of mistrust exists.

Thanks Mick - is there a reason for 28 days to vote - seems like they could vote on this much sooner if they wanted - is there some regulation that requires the 28 days?

Thanks Mick - is there a reason for 28 days to vote - seems like they could vote on this much sooner if they wanted - is there some regulation that requires the 28 days?
A legal requirement enshrined in their constitution.

It seems that this inevitable end to the national league is gathering pace.

Maidstone have furloughed their whole team and their assistant manager.

The national league have also started issuing penalties against clubs refusing to play.

Unless another package is offered, which is unlikely, then I can only see the season being forfeit.

It seems that some clubs will be penalised for not playing and some continue to play and likely goes bust

It should have been halted in November. Clubs should not be forced into debt and nor should the government being funding Football at any level. By that I mean just to compete in leagues rather than saving clubs at grass routes level.

Meanwhile individuals are facing being ruined after a life time of work because of wording in the guidelines in their claims for a grant.

You simply cannot justify allowing more people to travel and attend Hartlepool v Dover than allowed at someones funeral.

It should have been halted in November. Clubs should not be forced into debt and nor should the government being funding Football at any level. By that I mean just to compete in leagues rather than saving clubs at grass routes level.

Meanwhile individuals are facing being ruined after a life time of work because of wording in the guidelines in their claims for a grant.

You simply cannot justify allowing more people to travel and attend Hartlepool v Dover than allowed at someones funeral.

It's a really poor situation.

It's the same across the board for sports. Teams can travel up and down countries and individuals to compete etc.

I can't see how the national leagues can sustain for much longer.

Incredibly harsh on certain teams, especially Torquay who lead by a country mile and look set for a league return.

From our point of view it would be very very fortuitous.

It's a really poor situation.

It's the same across the board for sports. Teams can travel up and down countries and individuals to compete etc.

I can't see how the national leagues can sustain for much longer.

Incredibly harsh on certain teams, especially Torquay who lead by a country mile and look set for a league return.

From our point of view it would be very very fortuitous.
The National leagues can't continue much longer but the league itself doesn't want to be the one to blame for pulling the plug, they would rather the teams do it themselves to absolve themselves of any blame. Some clubs have already pointed out that the league are breaking their own rules by making them carry on without the funds to complete the season which has interesting implications.

There is now the argument that these leagues have lost integrity with weaker teams being fielded and now clubs refusing to play at all.

The best thing they could do is stop the season now and restart it when fans are allowed back ready to finish in 2022, it gives plenty of extra time for postponements too

Looking at non league teams forums ir appears that a majority of National North and South clubs wish to null and void the season whereas the top tier of the National League have a majority of clubs that wish to carry on. This could well be what happens.

Looking at non league teams forums ir appears that a majority of National North and South clubs wish to null and void the season whereas the top tier of the National League have a majority of clubs that wish to carry on. This could well be what happens.
But then you get a situation that Dover kings Lyn Weymouth plus a few more would need loans for the rest of the season that would become meaningless with no relegation....

I wonder when this will be resolved.

I think if it suddenly was nul and void in the national leagues, would we still make signings knowing that we cant go down.

Maybe this is what is stalling signings being made.

I think if it suddenly was nul and void in the national leagues, would we still make signings knowing that we cant go down.

My suspicion is that any signing has to be wanted for 18 months and needs to be good for next season in this division.
And that MM has worked out who he wants to keep for next season out of the many whose contracts are running down.

So, if the worst happens and we are indeed relegated to the National League, here is a somewhat sobering thought.

Since relegation and promotion between the Football League and the National League was increased to two up, two down for the 2002/03 season 33 clubs have lost their EFL status. Three (Barnet, Macclesfield and Torquay) have managed this twice.

Only 25% of these teams have managed to regain their Football League status in under five years:-

1 - Bristol Rovers, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury
2 - Barnet, Leyton Orient, Torquay
3 - Tranmere
4 - Oxford
5 - Exeter, Luton, Mansfield

This suggests roughly a 10% chance of bouncing back at the first attempt!

Of those who have taken more than five seasons to regain their membership less than 20% have managed it so far!

6 - Grimsby, Lincoln, Macclesfield
8 - York
9 - Cambridge

The following 19 clubs have so far failed to regain their status following their most recent demotion:-

Aldershot, Barnet, Boston, Bury, Chester, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Darlington, Halifax, Hartlepool, Kidderminster Harriers, Macclesfield, Notts County, Rushden & Diamonds, Stockport, Torquay, Wrexham, Yeovil, York

Something to think about!
Unfair to mention Bury, Chester, Darlington, Rushden and Diamonds and Macclesfield failing to regain their league status as those clubs who were relegated out the FL don’t exist anymore. Bury weren’t even relegated to NL tbf

But then you get a situation that Dover kings Lyn Weymouth plus a few more would need loans for the rest of the season that would become meaningless with no relegation....

Part of me wouldn't be surprised to see that if NLS/NLN did stop but NL continued then those that can't continue without grants stop playing. The league table gets re-drawn with points between those that can and will continue with the schedule re-done amongst those.

Given this may not be resolved for a week or two, and given they may well play on, if that is what causing us to stall and in the meantime we lose more points than we would otherwise, then we probably deserve whatever we get. Surely we wouldn’t gamble that recklessly..

Given this may not be resolved for a week or two, and given they may well play on, if that is what causing us to stall and in the meantime we lose more points than we would otherwise, then we probably deserve whatever we get. Surely we wouldn’t gamble that recklessly..

You would think so but this is Ron Martin we are talking about

One down, 22 to go!
Surely, it only needs three or more to render the league void? Four clubs x 20/21 games means 80+ games expunged if allowed to pull out.
That would make a mockery of the rest of the season, bearing in mind those four have a total 88 odd games to play.

One down, 22 to go!
Surely, it only needs three or more to render the league void? Four clubs x 20/21 games means 80+ games expunged if allowed to pull out.
That would make a mockery of the rest of the season, bearing in mind those four have a total 88 odd games to play.

They voted for Resolution 1 however, which means you are more likely to see NL continue as it will go to a 50% vote needed which will pass.

Back