• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

The problem we have now is we have signed all these players and will also probably sign Simpson but we have a manager who is out of his depth and doesent know his strongest side and continues to play players who have failed for much of the season! Hart,aquah,demitriou to name a few!! It wont happen but I believe a change in manager would see these players flourish.And that's what we need right now! Funny how we got better and he went to a 5 at the back and lost 4 in a row and then reverts back to a back 4 and win draw and become more solid!! He has to get it right and quick because we cant rely on barrow and grimsby loosing every week although they are pretty crap too!!

Who do we get rid of to sign Simpson? We already have the max 22 players in the squad

Just seen the goal, how amateur is that of the OX, should be fined for that, any other keeper would of jumped with one arm at full stretch and tapped that out for a corner b4 it hits the bar.
If you fined every player for making an error, most would owe the club after each game

If you suspect a hanging ball is going to hit the bar (if it skims the front of the crossbar it could drop anywhere) you have to get above it and turn the ball behind.

I agree, but that's just it, he didn't expect it to hit the bar.

I'm not trying to defend Oxley just saying it as I see it. Either way we were unlucky but Bolton should have been ahaed at half time. If we can't score we won't stay up.

I'm not going to rate individually as I felt we played well throughout on the most part and look like we are more competitive now. If we can get a player to play alongside Akinola and get a few goals we will have enough im this squad to stay up...just...I think.

What is painfully obvious is Aquaduck needs to go play for the under 23's until he learns how to use his frame to be a nuisance if he's never going to score...at the moment he does nothing....at all.

Otley fluffed today but he has been very good of late so I won't judge him too harshly.

Holmes looks like he could definitely bring a bit of finesse and guile which us good.

Hobson and White seem to have struck up a very reasonable partnership and with the Addition of the very good Clifford on the left I dont think getting spanked will be a problem

Under normal circumstances yes, but he had assumed, as had everyone else, that the ball wasn't going to come down into play. He'd have to be eight feet tall to have successfully pushed the ball over at the last millisecond I think because he didn't have time to jump at all.
Agreed, in which case he was rooted to the spot, and let's face it, he couldn't have known either way whether it was in play or behind.
It's really poor decision making.

Three months ago we would have been 3-0 down by half time.

Bolton were big strong and powerful. Logically they weren’t going to dominate the second half as much as they did in the first and we got into the game.

Reeco has been disappointing of late - I don’t think he is good enough. He’s 23 now and should be much stronger. Surely Holmes should have started and taken off when he tired.

Their goal was a complete freak which we dealt with appallingly.

If anyone is to blame it’s Moseley for substituting Clifford and Ferguson together. When he did it I feared it would let Bolton back into the game as we lost our shape and Hart dithered.
He should have been experienced enough to settle with the point we deserved.

Is Akinola really a goal scorer ? I haven’t seen him have a decent shot with his feet yet.

ANG runs well with ball - but was quiet in the second half.

I’m surprised Goodship wasn’t in the squad today - he can’t do any worse than our other front players and might benefit from our more attacking play.

Just one shot in target - again - I wish I could remember it.....

If you fined every player for making an error, most would owe the club after each game
It’s a basic error that he wouldn’t do for another 10 years, players get fined for stuff like this all the time, except at this stage of the season its cost us more than ever and it could come down to the point we needed to stay up :Facepalm:

Who do we get rid of to sign Simpson? We already have the max 22 players in the squad

There's obviously something we're all missing with the squad size limits, because if we really had no room for him then he wouldn't still have been training with us yesterday would he?

I agree, but that's just it, he didn't expect it to hit the bar.

I'm not trying to defend Oxley just saying it as I see it. Either way we were unlucky but Bolton should have been ahaed at half time. If we can't score we won't stay up.
And OX had plenty of time to adjust for the situation he was in, it’s a basic goalkeeping error that you would expect a Sunday league keeper to make.

Can we send back Reeco or the defender from Bournemouth?

Possibly. I think Corder is useful cover if Hobson or White get injured. RHF, has not lived up to his debut performance, and we have lots of midfielders, so if we can then I'd lose RHF I think

with 10 minutes to go and with SUFC pushing forward and looking the most likely to get something the manager decides to have his look at me moment and make unnecessary changes ..

despite having a goal keeper who is a catastrophe the manager has done nothing to adddess this issue .... he has got no back up in.. no altternative - no hot loanee

of course it is now far too late to even think about changing manager
- of course we have to back MM
- of course we have to hope MM has learnt enough to keep us up..

The chairman is clearly throwing everything at it .... of course we should escape with all the players we have ...

Will we ?

No I am worried sick -

and most of that is down to a total lack of confidence I have in the manager

There's obviously something we're all missing with the squad size limits, because if we really had no room for him then he wouldn't still have been training with us yesterday would he?

Maybe he's trying to maintain fitness for another opportunity at another club - but who knows - Ranger and Mellis have not been named in squad yet

It’s a basic error that he wouldn’t do for another 10 years, players get fined for stuff like this all the time, except at this stage of the season its cost us more than ever and it could come down to the point we needed to stay up :Facepalm:

Players get fined for errors on the pitch (that aren't bookings) - can you refresh my memory of when that has occurred before?

Back