• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

It says a lot that Cheltenham went top tonight. There’s barely anything between the top and the bottom of this league, yet we just don’t seem to have the bottle to give it a go. If we showed a bit more intent to win, we’d probably stay up comfortably.

I'm sorry but how can u keep defending acquah? Strikers are paid to score goals right? Not just run around! I could do that ! Yes he works hard but at the end of the day there needs to be more! He doesent ever look like scoring! Its game after game!! I admire your loyalty to the player but I think you are letting your head rule your heart? Do u not think with the players we have now we should be trying a different option?
Acquah is a target man, whilst it'd be nice for them to contribute with goals target men are not on the pitch to score goals, they're there to hold up or knock the ball down for players that know where the net is (which is where we fall down since we don't have anyone that can do that).

I know this won't find much favour.
But I often wonder how much research is done by footballers.
Apart from getting tats and chiming on Instagram, they would do well to study the opposition.
Griffiths is right handed, and it's known a keeper is generally stronger to the side he writes and kicks with, if you see what I mean?
Dieng must have seen Griffiths edging right out the corner of his eye, so why in the wide, wide world of sports is he trying to head that way!!?
I got the impression Dieng knew he had mucked up big time.
I'm not sure what MM wants from Aquah.
The only time he's going to have a chance of scoring, note the word 'chance', is if he controls it down a channel and runs in on goal.
By that very definition, he's coming from an angle.
MM must know 90% of the punts forward are going nowhere near Aquah, and it's meat and drink to a half-decent pair of centre backs.
Could he not have added anybody up front (Dieng?), and played an extra midfielder?

Good point but easy to answer. Not all , certainly, but most players dont have much going on between the ears,never did.
They were the sporty ones at school not the academics and to make matters worse "Pro footballers" such as Mr N Ranger only serve to prove my point.
Limited ability, but some, No intelligence, emotional or otherwise and think the game owes them. A whole overpaid waste of space generally.

Too many changes tonight for me. But then that’s what you get when your squad is as big as a secondary school class. Not sure what peoples fitness levels are, but Demetriou and Halford starting in midfield above Taylor, McCormack and Ferguson doesn’t make sense.

It says a lot that Cheltenham went top tonight. There’s barely anything between the top and the bottom of this league, yet we just don’t seem to have the bottle to give it a go. If we showed a bit more intent to win, we’d probably stay up comfortably.

Or if RM had sorted out the embargo before he did, we possibly wouldn't be in the current position we are?

If MM is a “PE teacher”, what are the majority of people who spout utter dribble on this forum?

Some, not all do have some strange poorly thought through ideas, whereas fans are fans and are THE ONLY people who actually care and matter.

You may disagree and thats great but MM has had enough time now, post the embargo to show his worth. He has to go in the summer along with at least 12 players, IRRESPECTIVE of whether or not we survive in this dreadful division.

We lost 1-0 away to top of the league via a penalty with a load of injuries while resting a load of knackered first-choice players. For a team in our position this is really not half bad.
As I’ve been saying all season it really shows the lack of a quality in this league. Usually you get 2 or 3 teams that are head and shoulders above the rest, but I can’t single out any team in this league I’d class in that bracket.

Some, not all do have some strange poorly thought through ideas, whereas fans are fans and are THE ONLY people who actually care and matter.

You may disagree and thats great but MM has had enough time now, post the embargo to show his worth. He has to go in the summer along with at least 12 players, IRRESPECTIVE of whether or not we survive in this dreadful division.

I respect that everyone has their own opinion. I don’t agree with a some on here and I’m sure they don’t agree with me a lot of the time. That’s fine but I feel like this tag of “p.e teacher” is a lazy phrase used recently when in truth it doesn’t actually mean anything. So you don’t think MM is the man for the job, fine.. I can accept that but instead of labelling as you and some others have done, you’re going to have to explain to me why you don’t think he is and then we can have a discussion about it.

A positive for me is that the highlight video won't be very long. Won't have to watch too much of that game again.

I question why MM plays Hobson right back when he got jd and halford who are experienced right backs!
I expect if Olayinka was fit he would have played RB in this one - he can play that position. Halford is too slow nowadays and I'm not convinced it's a position that would suit JD at his age.

I question why MM plays Hobson right back when he got jd and halford who are experienced right backs!

I can't believe you just mentioned Halford at RB; he had arguably the worse 10 minutes at RB this season I have ever witnessed.

However, I reckon JD would have been a better option. Hobson is not a RB, so why play him there. Surely even Howard would be a better option!

Do not understand why we played a Centre Half at RB when Dimi is available - it is like Dimi has said he will not play there anymore. Twice now Elvis has gone off and we replace him with Halford who gets skinned and then tonight same thing. Not sure why some people have called it a soft penalty - in my opinion was as clear as day and would have been gutted if we had not got it in the reverse situation. Dieng should have at least hit the target late on and Halford in Midfield - not sure where that came from - Heh how - onwards and upwards on Saturday COYB!!!

What different option? We gave your poster boy the return you wanted and he didn’t last more than 15 minutes. You’ve also banged the drum for Holmes to start.. according to the team sheet he did tonight, not that you’d have known it. Care to comment on that disaster class of a performance?
Was one of only 3 players to have a shot! He hasnt hardley played either so needs match fitness where as acquah plays almost every game and does nothing to affect the outcome of a game.

I can't believe you just mentioned Halford at RB; he had arguably the worse 10 minutes at RB this season I have ever witnessed.

However, I reckon JD would have been a better option. Hobson is not a RB, so why play him there. Surely even Howard would be a better option!
Their an argument that MM decision to put Hobson at right back has cost us the game.

But hes the main man in the team right? Like the quarter back In NFL' the striker is supposed to score the goals to get the points am I right or wrong?
A game of football is about 11 players not just one. It's not a loyalty thing, it's a balance thing. The concept of targeting one player and then just slagging him off game after game suggests that is all you have to offer when it comes to match reviews.

Acquah is a target man, whilst it'd be nice for them to contribute with goals target men are not on the pitch to score goals, they're there to hold up or knock the ball down for players that know where the net is (which is where we fall down since we don't have anyone that can do that).

I take your point, but I think if you're a lone striker you're tasked with doing both

Back