• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Subjects at school

"One subject we did in our 1st year (year 7) was Library Skills. I've never known such a load of horse****. What a complete waste of time that was. Who cares about the Dewey Decimal System?"
I didn't know teaching that was a "thing"! It seems odd, a tad niche if ever there was.

I did needlwork - hated it. I loved domestic science. I loved metal work, but hated woodwork - probably based on the teachers. Interesting that your school should have separated boys and girls. My school didn't and I suspect I'm a lot older than you (51 a couple of weeks ago)

Lol, @Tinks will love you for that! She's the same age as me, well, a month older, and that's definitely older than 51 :Hilarious:

I did needlwork - hated it. I loved domestic science. I loved metal work, but hated woodwork - probably based on the teachers. Interesting that your school should have separated boys and girls. My school didn't and I suspect I'm a lot older than you (51 a couple of weeks ago)

One subject we did in our 1st year (year 7) was Library Skills. I've never known such a load of horse****. What a complete waste of time that was. Who cares about the Dewey Decimal System?

Useful if you're going to be a librarian. :Winking: (I shared a house with some for e term.Odd bunch).

Humanities and languages were my favourites. History especially, which I went on to study at uni, but also loved English, German and French. Although began to resent both languages after making the mistake of taking both at A Level.

Maths and the sciences just bored the crap out of me at the time, but hindsight makes me wish I'd tried harder. Dropped geography before GCSEs as the course at my school was loads of Human geography but all I wanted to learn about was the weather, volcanoes and earthquakes. I'm really into the weather and aviation these days and would love to have become a meteorologist or pilot, so kicking myself for not realising earlier and putting more effort into maths, physics and geography. But like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Humanities and languages were my favourites. History especially, which I went on to study at uni, but also loved English, German and French. Although began to resent both languages after making the mistake of taking both at A Level.

Maths and the sciences just bored the crap out of me at the time, but hindsight makes me wish I'd tried harder. Dropped geography before GCSEs as the course at my school was loads of Human geography but all I wanted to learn about was the weather, volcanoes and earthquakes. I'm really into the weather and aviation these days and would love to have become a meteorologist or pilot, so kicking myself for not realising earlier and putting more effort into maths, physics and geography. But like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I don't know how old you are, but one of my flying instructors only started flying when he retired. He was superb. There was a guy at Elstree, where I had a share in a plane, that was flying well into his 90s.

It's never too late.

Even though I struggled with French our French teacher was an exchange from France and she was fit. Not that it mattered as one of my best mates ended up pulling and then marrying her. Didn't go down too well with his parents at first, ward of court and such stuff, but he was determined and they ended up with two boys and very happy.

Even though I struggled with French our French teacher was an exchange from France and she was fit. Not that it mattered as one of my best mates ended up pulling and then marrying her. Didn't go down too well with his parents at first, ward of court and such stuff, but he was determined and they ended up with two boys and very happy.

Did he become the French president by any chance

Did he become the French president by any chance
Thankfully no. He was desperate to join the RAF and passed all the entrance exams but failed his eyesight tests so he became an accountant instead cos he was good at sums! Sadly he died of cancer 25 years ago but his wife and the boys are still part of our close circle of friends.

Think P.E was the only lesson I liked for the subject. Other lessons it was more about the people in my class, I remember pretending I didn't understand my maths work so I could be dropped down a set to where all my mates were so I could muck around with them. What idiots we can be when we are young haha.

Think P.E was the only lesson I liked for the subject. Other lessons it was more about the people in my class, I remember pretending I didn't understand my maths work so I could be dropped down a set to where all my mates were so I could muck around with them. What idiots we can be when we are young haha.

"Youth is wasted on the young. as said by George Bernard Shaw

Back