• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should we stick with Phil Brown?

Should we keep Phil Brown as manager regardless of what division we're in?

• Total voters
Nah ! We're just a stop gap until he finds something better

and anyway, I seriously doubt we can afford him. We probably can't now, but he probably would have been on a fat bonus if he had kept us up

I really don't know. Obviously less sure after last night's performance. Maybe he's the best we can expect but there are one or two things which concern me. I really do stand to be corrected as I haven't done too much research but IIRC some of his signings last time around weren't that brilliant. More importantly, weren't there issues last time about his favouritism and shutting some players out because they didn't see eye to eye? I suppose the absence of Akinola, even from the bench, comes to mind. Maybe there was a good reason for it (injury)?

I really don't know. Obviously less sure after last night's performance. Maybe he's the best we can expect but there are one or two things which concern me. I really do stand to be corrected as I haven't done too much research but IIRC some of his signings last time around weren't that brilliant. More importantly, weren't there issues last time about his favouritism and shutting some players out because they didn't see eye to eye? I suppose the absence of Akinola, even from the bench, comes to mind. Maybe there was a good reason for it (injury)?

Yep, 100% that is true. He split the dressing room. Some players he would totally ignore, and others got favouritism. He also had players playing with injuries that should have been nowhere near a football field. I'm sure most of you have seen the Mark Phillips interview, lifting the lid.

If we ditch Phil Brown then RM will have to appoint another manager. Not mad about this scenario to be honest.
Ron has slipped up badly.Going back to Brown was a desperate gamble,hoping against hope for a remarkable bounce.
Sadly,we won’t be able to get Moseley back now—he was doing a near impossible job remarkably well in near impossible circumstances.

If Phil Brown can operate without the large wages and 'name' players, and if he can concentrate on just Southend Utd, then I would stick with him. The only possible fly in the ointment is his choice of wardrobe, at the moment it's on a par with Mr Molesley's white trainers and ShrimperZone just doesn't need that distraction at the moment. All that said, I'm not convinced his ego will let him stay, we shall see.
You've hit on his two favourite distractions (excluding dress sense) and rightly highlighted his ego restrictions. Make you spot on RHB

Defo a No from me, did we not learn our lesson the last time he was here and was sacked, too negative and always brings in knackered old ****

He is always far too quick to start the blame game and cause friction in the dressing room.

Bad bad bad bad bad decision.

Lets get someone with an understanding of the league that also has passion and can inspire a team.

Dont post much but had to have a say today

Up the Blues

No. We need to bring a manager who know the lower leagues and has plenty of contacts at those levels otherwise we will keep on sinking, problem is it's a season too late.

I want us to appoint a CEO before we appoint a new manager. I don't really want Brown, but he might be the best we can get for the time being and at least he has had some time with the squad to begin to plan a rebuild for next season.

I'm really angry and upset with Brown's team selection and substitutions last night. He got it horribly horribly wrong.

I want us to appoint a CEO before we appoint a new manager. I don't really want Brown, but he might be the best we can get for the time being and at least he has had some time with the squad to begin to plan a rebuild for next season.

I'm really angry and upset with Brown's team selection and substitutions last night. He got it horribly horribly wrong.

Where's the money coming from for a CEO? They are extremely expensive. Southend have let staff go to cut the wage bill. They were on a pittance compared to a CEO.

A C.E.O would only help if he was given the authority to do the job. In our case, I feel that would be unlikely.

I suspect we will as 6 games is not really enough time for him to have an impact. I guess Ron is just keeping his options open come end of the season. Can't afford more payouts.
Also depends on if Browns ego will allow him to manage a non league side :Smile:

Ron often goes on about stability and on the recent zoom meeting he again reiterated his desire for a stable management team.

My guess is, PB will be around for a while now
He did go and manage an Indian side which is probably a similar level to non league over here

Where's the money coming from for a CEO? They are extremely expensive. Southend have let staff go to cut the wage bill. They were on a pittance compared to a CEO.
Where's the money coming for the multiple hirings and firings? Ron is probably borrowing against the plans he now has for FF and he needs to understand that letting an experienced CEO come in and deal with the operational side of the club is necessary, probably essential, to help us return to the league as quickly as possible.

I agree with harveyoe, it does seem unlikely that Ron will be happy to hand over authority to a CEO. We're absolutely screwed.

NOT having a CEO (with clout) has cost us more I reckon. Cost is 2 relegations, cost us our league status, cost us in unsustainable wage bills, cost us in awful player recruitment, cost us in awful back room recruitment, cost us in crippling pay-offs to terminate contracts. The list goes on.

Who isn't?

I don't blame Phil for wanting to manage at as high a level as he can, I just wish he would be a bit more discreet.

You mean like when he turned down the Forest job to stay at Southend. Or a small fortune to be the Sunderland number 2.

Personally I thought he was mad for turning them down. I'm sure like Tilly he regrets it especially as he now becomes another name added to the RH graveyard for mangers list.

You mean like when he turned down the Forest job to stay at Southend. Or a small fortune to be the Sunderland number 2.

Personally I thought he was mad for turning them down. I'm sure like Tilly he regrets it especially as he now becomes another name added to the RH graveyard for mangers list.
Rigsby I doubt facts inconsistent with the agenda that he is always looking for the next job will be welcomed. But of course you are right.

Newsflash football management is precarious and managers do look out for the next role
If you are doing well there will be approaches
He could of gone elsewhere but didn't
He stayed 5 years (which is in managerial terms gold clock territory)

In the end we wont get anyone better and if history is anything to go by we will waste a lot of valuable time doing so. Look at last year. Experienced non-league managers are managing in the non-league not the EFL for a reason. I'm not sure another young promising non-league manager is something we want to jump straight back into.

I would rather all the focus from now is on building the team for next year and hitting the ground prepared and ready to go.

Back