• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barrow 1-2 Southend United - Relegation Confirmed

Chances are, yes.
Lack of choice in Essex as well as precedent for other NL sides.
Until budget took hold, Eastleigh's matches had free live BBC Radio Solent commentary for every game.
I guess listening figures had a lot to do with why they became selective.
Eastleigh average around 800 home supporters. We should get around 3,000, he hopes, to home matches.

i think if we’re competitive our home crowds won’t significantly change. I’d be surprised if we average much less than 5000 for home games.

He did bring goodship on and started rob halford so im not totally convinced...
Brown's football needs someone up front to win the first ball (or at least force the defenders into heading it out of play) so that the smaller but more technical players can be bought into play, the only match under Brown where we didn't try that was the first 45 against Colchester where we were completely dominated. Acquah hasn't got a look in under Brown and Akinola has mysteriously vanished so that leaves Dieng and Halford being played out of position as the only players that can suit that role. I don't think Brown views Halford as an ideal target man, he just sees him as the best of the bad options available to him.

i think if we’re competitive our home crowds won’t significantly change. I’d be surprised if we average much less than 5000 for home games.
We'll find out soon enough.
That loss of league status will surely hive off a 1,000?
It would be interesting to see how many if we're say mid-table or struggling.
I don't like to think about it, but then we would really see the true Blues!

Everyone moaned about the starting line up in the match thread. Yet, with the same set of players, a few injuries too, Cordner in midfield, Halford up front, we managed to put together a good, if not spectacular performance, and got 3 points, by working hard, tracking back, supporting the front men, creating space, and having a go.

The same line up would of been beaten or scrapped a 0-0 draw with MM in charge.

Blame game? 90% RM 10% MM. Thats how much Ron is to blame, as even with the MM‘s obvious deficiencies it’s still mostly not his fault.

I don’t feel as bad as I thought I would, as I have been reconciled with it for a few weeks, despite even before this weekend having some glimmer of hope.

At least I can get to Weymouth and Yeovil away games (although no ifollow for the other games), and if we have now hit rock bottom, then we might have a reasonable season, and at least be able to compete. Sadly though I am not sure we have hit our nadir quite yet.
Look, at half time I called us to win and I backed them ? but let’s not forget their keeper was shocking on Egbri’s shot so I’m not getting too carried away with that performance. I do though still think if we’d gone behind under MM it was game over.

We'll find out soon enough.
That loss of league status will surely hive off a 1,000?
It would be interesting to see how many if we're say mid-table or struggling.
I don't like to think about it, but then we would really see the true Blues!
Or the ones who don’t care what Ron does and serves up to represent our club.

Brown's football needs someone up front to win the first ball (or at least force the defenders into heading it out of play) so that the smaller but more technical players can be bought into play, the only match under Brown where we didn't try that was the first 45 against Colchester where we were completely dominated. Acquah hasn't got a look in under Brown and Akinola has mysteriously vanished so that leaves Dieng and Halford being played out of position as the only players that can suit that role. I don't think Brown views Halford as an ideal target man, he just sees him as the best of the bad options available to him.
Be very very interesting to see what Brown does about Ranger? One step at a time maybe - earn a longer contract proving fitness in pre-season? Are the bridges burnt between Ranger and Brown? He is the type of CF who would match your description of what is needed...

Devastated beyond belief. I’m 48 and sat with my 17 year old son in tears at the end. Totally numb. We knew it was coming realistically but boy it hurts and it hurts a lot

like many have said would like Brown to stay. He knows this set of players and will know which ones have the fight and character for the NL. Not sure who we could get better if honest. Hopefully with progress from Stan maybe this summer may just be a positive one for a change. The squad needs a overhaul but we do have some decent players in the squad. When you look at those 0~0 draws we were only one or two goal scorers away from surviving. The late Scunny equaliser with their only shot on goal also has proved fatal. Certain had PB come in with 10 games to go we would have stayed up, but for whatever reason that wasn’t possible and we’ve paid the price. Other than Colchester the other 4 games have shown fight and more attacking nouse, especially the last two games where we finally started finding the net, but sadly all too late.

this is something I never thought I would witness to our great club, but it has and the rebuild must start now. PB has to be given the job,if not then Fagan but it must be someone who knows this squad and can make the right choices. Whoever is to make those decisions must be appointed ASAP to prepare for a proper preseason and hopefully hit the ground running

for me this is how I see things mapping out:

new keeper, Oxley expensive and will go
Elvis, not sure he will get another club, not been his best this season. Howard could do a job
Clifford, Ralph, Hart, 2/3 maybe not all 3
white, Hobson, Cordner, keep all 3 if poss, not been a problem area since December. Assume Lennon will be released
ANG, Egbri, Walsh, Phillips, Gard, Ferguson. Egbri and Walsh will shine, Gard and Phillips have potential, not sure about Ferguson and ANG. Should do well and maybe under PB will get the kick up the arse they need.
JD Dieng and macca, thanks and goodbye along with Taylor, Reeco, Halford and Mellis
Akinola has scored at NL level so happy with him and would keep Holmes, he cares about the club and under PB looked a much brighter player. Rush hopefully will stay and again could shine at this level. But we need to sign a minimum of 2 decent NL or L2 level strikers
acquah and goodship bye bye

i might have missed some out but there my thoughts

SOUTHEND TIL WE DIE
White and Hobson formed a very solid CB pairing in L2. White won't go anywhere else, was as reliable as ever this season, and his attitude is spot on. If you let him go when he is up for another year you have to find a replacement as good in the NL. That wont be easy. There will be enough new faces to blend in next year without fixing what isn't broken..

Am I the only one still more annoyed about last season's relegation that this? I was absolutely livid last year, still am, at the absolute injustice of relegation on paper. This season finale has shown that we could have got out of it with the right manager in place.

The damage was done in the earlier part of the season. A ridiculously long embargo should never have been allowed to happen. That's 100% down to Ron Martin. Please Ron, get a CEO in to concentrate on the football side of things and concentrate on your development dreams.

The lack of a striker has to be laid at Molesley and team's door though. What I have struggled to understand throughout the season is how Goodship, who Molesley had scoring for fun at Weymouth, could not be managed and coached to find his shooting boots. I really expected him to push on this season and at least get into double figures. The persistence with Acquah is also down to Molesley.

There's actually only three players in our current squad under contract - assuming they don't have relegation clauses - Phillips, Akinola and Nathaniel-George. Of those with options, you have several high wage earners and I don't expect many of the options to be exercised, Seaden, Howard, Clifford, Egbri and Rush probably. All of these could do well next season with the right manager in place.

What a lovely setting where Barrow's ground was. We'd planned to be up having a long weekend there had events allowed and it showed how beautiful the surrounding area was. The game showed some heart amongst some of the players and we got what I felt was a deserved win.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, and there was John White with a goal just as he did in the Sunderland game, and I thought oh, is this an omen for another slice of luck coming our way? Then their keeper's terrible fluff of Egbri's shot and it really did seem as if the football Gods were on our side - until Bradford failed, abysmally, to score against a Scunthorpe side in free fall.

Kyle Taylor had his best game for a while, great to see him rampaging around midfield again. I thought Halford did ok too, would have liked Rush on from the start playing off him. Cordner is one I would look to hang on to if we can, I thought he had a really good game as well.

Oxley - 7, did what was asked of him confidently
Bwomono - 7, much more like the Elvis of old
White - 8, joint MOTM, captain's performance
Hobson - 6, seemed quiet
Hart - 6, not one of his best performances
Hackett-Fairchild - 6, poor game
Taylor - 8, joint MOTM, back to his best
Cordner - 7, adapted to the role he was asked to play well
Egbri - 8, joint MOTM, love his energy and work rate
Holmes - 6, one sublime piece of skill and a great delivery for White's goal, otherwise things just don't seem to be happening for him, which is a huge shame
Halford - 7, worked hard

Subs:
Rush for Holmes - 7, made a nuisance of himself
Goodship for Hackett - 7, one of his better performances

Officials - thought this was one of the poorer refs we've seen , seemed to let a lot of assaults go on our players. Guess that's something to get used to next season.
On Holmes I think we need to remember he should have been in the treatment room. He was desperate to get on the pitch and give his all for 45 mins which is what he did. Playing through the pain until the injection wore off. He delivered the free kick for the first goal, and was very unlucky not to create a second with that piece of skill.

In a way you can see why some players do hide in the treatment room because if you put your hand up like Holmes did it usually gets forgotten in the post mortem.

However, I think PB is a big admirer of Holmes and made a point about his desire and professionalism and it being exactly what he wants around the club. Which is why White will sign for another year as well.

Akinola hasn't mysteriously vanished.

PB told him to go and practice penalties and come back when he has scored one............

Be very very interesting to see what Brown does about Ranger? One step at a time maybe - earn a longer contract proving fitness in pre-season? Are the bridges burnt between Ranger and Brown? He is the type of CF who would match your description of what is needed...
Just a thought, but is it a coincidence that we signed Ranger when Ron was already talking to Brown about returning, perhaps he had a position on it then?

On Holmes I think we need to remember he should have been in the treatment room. He was desperate to get on the pitch and give his all for 45 mins which is what he did. Playing through the pain until the injection wore off. He delivered the free kick for the first goal, and was very unlucky not to create a second with that piece of skill.

In a way you can see why some players do hide in the treatment room because if you put your hand up like Holmes did it usually gets forgotten in the post mortem.

However, I think PB is a big admirer of Holmes and made a point about his desire and professionalism and it being exactly what he wants around the club. Which is why White will sign for another year as well.

Oh yes, absolutely. If Ricky is happy to stay on, then I think we can certainly benefit from his experience next season. I wasn't being critical, actually feel quite sorry for him because he is desperate to do well.

Oh yes, absolutely. If Ricky is happy to stay on, then I think we can certainly benefit from his experience next season. I wasn't being critical, actually feel quite sorry for him because he is desperate to do well.
Can we afford to carry another player who is unable to complete 90 minutes? I really, really wanted Holmes to do well and make a difference but sadly he hasn't.

This might have been mentioned elsewhere. But was this the first time we’ve come from a goal behind to win the game this season?

Can we afford to carry another player who is unable to complete 90 minutes? I really, really wanted Holmes to do well and make a difference but sadly he hasn't.
I don’t think his fitness is a problem. Certainly won’t be after a full pre-season. Started all the last 5 games and seemed to last 70/80 minutes no problem. In the treatment room “frequent flyer” awards he is completely outclassed by a few younger squad members.

Last edited:
Think so. Also our first double of the season.

The thing for me is that when we did go a goal down I didn’t think well that’s that then. Somehow I knew we would keep going and we did.

I don’t think his fitness is a problem. Certainly won’t be after a full pre-season. Started all the last 5 games and seemed to last 70/80 minutes no problem. In the treatment room “frequent flyer” awards he is completed outclassed by a few younger squad members.

Holmes has had a chronic back condition for a number of years and it won’t go away. Any amount of training won’t help it.

Back