• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barrow 1-2 Southend United - Relegation Confirmed

Well you did it Ronald. 101 years. A whole damn century. But after decades of neglect and taking your eye off the ball you've steered your ship onto the rocks and out of the league.

He'll say he's hurting. He'll blame MM. No doubt he'll throw PB under the bus too if he goes. But he sure as hell won't blame himself or take any responsibility for his mismanagement.

Players and managers come and go, but old Ronnie has been the one constant throughout this slow car crash of existence and we've paid the ultimate price as fans.

This is on Ronnie.

Both ANG and SimAk number among the few players contracted for next season yet PB does not fancy them. Weird?
More to the point......can we afford it?
Please not PB to manage in the National League.

Why is weird - PB is experienced and has seen them in training. He has delivered 8 points in 5 games. Neither were pulling up trees...

It is very likely PB will stay. He has an affinity for the club and the area, his other half's family are local. He and Ron know each other very well, worts and all. And he knows, as far as any job is secure in football, given the grass was not greener for either he or Ron he is likely to get a decent run.

I think not accepting the 3 year deal was, in part, all about waiting to see what happened and being in a position to negotiate a competitive budget. If Ron commits to a competitive budget I think its 99% he will be here,

I think not accepting the 3 year deal was, in part, all about waiting to see what happened and being in a position to negotiate a competitive budget. If Ron commits to a competitive budget I think its 99% he will be here,

If in PB's opinion Ron's competitive budget is below what PB thinks is needed & walks, no doubt someone else will be appointed on yet another 3 year contract.
What happens after that, is anyone's guess?. We can only hope & pray!.

Will BBC Essex cover our games in the NL or will it be limited to updates on the phone like Braintree etc?

Will BBC Essex cover our games in the NL or will it be limited to updates on the phone like Braintree etc?

An interesting question. Hopefully they will have a similar coverage of Southend United to the past seasons. However, if Braintree, Chelmsford, Concord or Billericay get promoted next season and we stay in the NL then we may have to share coverage.

Devastated beyond belief. I’m 48 and sat with my 17 year old son in tears at the end. Totally numb. We knew it was coming realistically but boy it hurts and it hurts a lot

like many have said would like Brown to stay. He knows this set of players and will know which ones have the fight and character for the NL. Not sure who we could get better if honest. Hopefully with progress from Stan maybe this summer may just be a positive one for a change. The squad needs a overhaul but we do have some decent players in the squad. When you look at those 0~0 draws we were only one or two goal scorers away from surviving. The late Scunny equaliser with their only shot on goal also has proved fatal. Certain had PB come in with 10 games to go we would have stayed up, but for whatever reason that wasn’t possible and we’ve paid the price. Other than Colchester the other 4 games have shown fight and more attacking nouse, especially the last two games where we finally started finding the net, but sadly all too late.

this is something I never thought I would witness to our great club, but it has and the rebuild must start now. PB has to be given the job,if not then Fagan but it must be someone who knows this squad and can make the right choices. Whoever is to make those decisions must be appointed ASAP to prepare for a proper preseason and hopefully hit the ground running

for me this is how I see things mapping out:

new keeper, Oxley expensive and will go
Elvis, not sure he will get another club, not been his best this season. Howard could do a job
Clifford, Ralph, Hart, 2/3 maybe not all 3
white, Hobson, Cordner, keep all 3 if poss, not been a problem area since December. Assume Lennon will be released
ANG, Egbri, Walsh, Phillips, Gard, Ferguson. Egbri and Walsh will shine, Gard and Phillips have potential, not sure about Ferguson and ANG. Should do well and maybe under PB will get the kick up the arse they need.
JD Dieng and macca, thanks and goodbye along with Taylor, Reeco, Halford and Mellis
Akinola has scored at NL level so happy with him and would keep Holmes, he cares about the club and under PB looked a much brighter player. Rush hopefully will stay and again could shine at this level. But we need to sign a minimum of 2 decent NL or L2 level strikers
acquah and goodship bye bye

i might have missed some out but there my thoughts

SOUTHEND TIL WE DIE

Well you did it Ronald. 101 years. A whole damn century. But after decades of neglect and taking your eye off the ball you've steered your ship onto the rocks and out of the league.

He'll say he's hurting. He'll blame MM. No doubt he'll throw PB under the bus too if he goes. But he sure as hell won't blame himself or take any responsibility for his mismanagement.

Players and managers come and go, but old Ronnie has been the one constant throughout this slow car crash of existence and we've paid the ultimate price as fans.

This is on Ronnie.

That’s what p!sses me off about this guy, he just deflects the blame & accountability because its his money in the club & he will never ever feel the need to apologise..

Words cannot describes how I am feeling so, so far away.
But once aBlues supporter always a blues supporter until the day I leave this earth

Let's here what that W*nker Martin has to say about this - he is solely to blame for this - if he had appointed a CEO when Kavanagh went he might have got the ground built plus his precious flats and would have F*cked off into the distance a couple if years ago. He is the sole reason we are where we are and if he doesn't go then National South here we come!!
Gutted beyond belief - the man is a disgrace!
I’ve wondered for a good few years now , why we SUFC supporters have tolerated Martin for so long.? It’s not as if his toxic reign hasn’t had all the warning signs of forthcoming disaster.
He’s just not fit for the role .... as his appalling financial management style has proven. His juvenile belligerent attitude in always choosing to fight a losing battle with the tax man has been a big part of this disaster, along with the fact that he has always put more emphasis on his building business than building the club.
If only there were a way for him to go !! .....surely no replacement could do any worse ??

Everyone moaned about the starting line up in the match thread. Yet, with the same set of players, a few injuries too, Cordner in midfield, Halford up front, we managed to put together a good, if not spectacular performance, and got 3 points, by working hard, tracking back, supporting the front men, creating space, and having a go.

The same line up would of been beaten or scrapped a 0-0 draw with MM in charge.

Blame game? 90% RM 10% MM. Thats how much Ron is to blame, as even with the MM‘s obvious deficiencies it’s still mostly not his fault.

I don’t feel as bad as I thought I would, as I have been reconciled with it for a few weeks, despite even before this weekend having some glimmer of hope.

At least I can get to Weymouth and Yeovil away games (although no ifollow for the other games), and if we have now hit rock bottom, then we might have a reasonable season, and at least be able to compete. Sadly though I am not sure we have hit our nadir quite yet.

Am I the only one still more annoyed about last season's relegation that this? I was absolutely livid last year, still am, at the absolute injustice of relegation on paper. This season finale has shown that we could have got out of it with the right manager in place.

The damage was done in the earlier part of the season. A ridiculously long embargo should never have been allowed to happen. That's 100% down to Ron Martin. Please Ron, get a CEO in to concentrate on the football side of things and concentrate on your development dreams.

The lack of a striker has to be laid at Molesley and team's door though. What I have struggled to understand throughout the season is how Goodship, who Molesley had scoring for fun at Weymouth, could not be managed and coached to find his shooting boots. I really expected him to push on this season and at least get into double figures. The persistence with Acquah is also down to Molesley.

There's actually only three players in our current squad under contract - assuming they don't have relegation clauses - Phillips, Akinola and Nathaniel-George. Of those with options, you have several high wage earners and I don't expect many of the options to be exercised, Seaden, Howard, Clifford, Egbri and Rush probably. All of these could do well next season with the right manager in place.

What a lovely setting where Barrow's ground was. We'd planned to be up having a long weekend there had events allowed and it showed how beautiful the surrounding area was. The game showed some heart amongst some of the players and we got what I felt was a deserved win.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man, and there was John White with a goal just as he did in the Sunderland game, and I thought oh, is this an omen for another slice of luck coming our way? Then their keeper's terrible fluff of Egbri's shot and it really did seem as if the football Gods were on our side - until Bradford failed, abysmally, to score against a Scunthorpe side in free fall.

Kyle Taylor had his best game for a while, great to see him rampaging around midfield again. I thought Halford did ok too, would have liked Rush on from the start playing off him. Cordner is one I would look to hang on to if we can, I thought he had a really good game as well.

Oxley - 7, did what was asked of him confidently
Bwomono - 7, much more like the Elvis of old
White - 8, joint MOTM, captain's performance
Hobson - 6, seemed quiet
Hart - 6, not one of his best performances
Hackett-Fairchild - 6, poor game
Taylor - 8, joint MOTM, back to his best
Cordner - 7, adapted to the role he was asked to play well
Egbri - 8, joint MOTM, love his energy and work rate
Holmes - 6, one sublime piece of skill and a great delivery for White's goal, otherwise things just don't seem to be happening for him, which is a huge shame
Halford - 7, worked hard

Subs:
Rush for Holmes - 7, made a nuisance of himself
Goodship for Hackett - 7, one of his better performances

Officials - thought this was one of the poorer refs we've seen , seemed to let a lot of assaults go on our players. Guess that's something to get used to next season.

Guess that will all be down to their budget, & if they think there will be sufficient interest?.
Chances are, yes.
Lack of choice in Essex as well as precedent for other NL sides.
Until budget took hold, Eastleigh's matches had free live BBC Radio Solent commentary for every game.
I guess listening figures had a lot to do with why they became selective.
Eastleigh average around 800 home supporters. We should get around 3,000, he hopes, to home matches.

the MM debacle finished us off ... a terrible appointment and then the refusal to fire him.

When the season started and a lot of zone posters were warning about relegation i was completely confident we had the players to at least compete for play offs..

So I was completely wrong about the play offs but seeing how we are with a manager who knows his job I wonder if completey I was wrong about the players.. Who knows.

mistakes happen - particularly in recruitment so giving MM a chance in the FL sort of made sense BUT he shuld have gone January at the very latest. It seems RM was hangng on for PB to be available to come back... hmmm ...

I never ever thought this would happen to Southend ... I have never watched non league football or had any interest in it. I thought the football in league 2 was appalling and very poor compared to League 1 .. I cannot imagine how poor the refs will be in NL.

I cannot imagine there will be any sort of buzz around home games that you got in the EFL - especially w ith clubs like Portsmouth, Millwall, Sunderland visiting.

i am not looking forward to next season and cannot imagine I will buy a season ticket and cannot imagine that I wll go to the same number of games - home and away.

there have been some great moments in recent years but even if we win the NL it won't mean much ...

how long ago is it that Southampton were playng at RH in the league and there was much talk of their young player Lalaina ... and week after week so many other great clubs and great players

So its a terrible and dreadful day for Southend Uniteds football supporters .. it just is.

Last edited:
Back