• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

@in the know something you would like to elaborate on regarding your last sentence in the last post on the impatience thread?
not really. I only know what I'm told . My comments on the impatience thread were just me trying to apply some sense to it. what I heard today was pb probably had a bit of input

not really. I only know what I'm told . My comments on the impatience thread were just me trying to apply some sense to it. what I heard today was pb probably had a bit of input
Of course he did. As I said the chances of a structure with a DOF between Ron and PB flying were vanishingly small. A DOF would like to be in place first, and then recruit a manager, partly because then the manager would know, and need to accept, such a structure/hierarchy. If you dont want to work under a DOF don't apply.

Ron first and foremost wanted PB in place. He's the devil he knows who he believes can turn it around. And he believed he needed him in place quickly- partly to prepare for next season, but partly I think he saw this coming. PB is in situ and has basically said he is more than happy to work with a CEO/DOF whoever, if they will add value and do all the things that desperately need covering, BUT he wants to maintain the direct relationship with Ron.

Having put PB in place first any DOF now has to be able to run with working alongside PB, agreeing who does what and delivering success. They need to compliment each other without one working for the other. Would RD accept that- of course he would. Would another potential DOF, maybe, maybe not.

My view from experience is the moment you end up with two people to whom it really matters who reports to who then you know you are in for a rough ride and a prize not worth the chase.

So back to the beginning. If an outline of the DOF "JD" was run past PB to make sure he was on board (and Ron would be nuts not to) PB would make exactly the pointed observations in line with above. If a DOF wont adapt in line with that then it's DOA. Regettably.

Of course, I don't know how any of this played out in terms of Stan.

Last edited:
I've been following this with great interest and whilst I cant pretend I've read every word SC has said, I was a little surprised to read he had shook hands on a 'Head of Football Operations' role. Job titles can be misleading but that sounded very much like the DoF role Ricky Duncan had already been offered. My impression was that SC's offer was to make use of his numerous contacts whether that be potential investors, potential Chief Execs or building bridges with agents, clubs, etc.

I've been following this with great interest and whilst I cant pretend I've read every word SC has said, I was a little surprised to read he had shook hands on a 'Head of Football Operations' role. Job titles can be misleading but that sounded very much like the DoF role Ricky Duncan had already been offered. My impression was that SC's offer was to make use of his numerous contacts whether that be potential investors, potential Chief Execs or building bridges with agents, clubs, etc.

Dont think Duncans been offered anything? Not that has officially come out of the club.

Brown said if we were to appoint someone like that in a role, then should be RD. Thats my take?

Since when has Ricky Duncan been offer the role of Dof ?
That is news to me i have not seen that announce on any news outlets..

I may well be wrong on RD having been offered the DoF role. However, the point I was really trying to make was that 'Head Of Football Operations' sounded very different from what I thought SC was offering.

Well as far as we know they "shook hands" and the Ron wanted to change some element (maybe having run it past someone else, maybe having reflected). We don't know. But you can be sure those for whom Ron can do no right will lay it all at his door. The trouble is if everything becomes one persons fault come what may then blaming him loses all its impact. Those interested in the facts will not now the ins and outs and, therefore, will probably have to get used to not knowing.
I think we will have our CEO very soon, whether a sprit of compromise or desire is forthcoming on anything else who knows.

I may well be wrong on RD having been offered the DoF role. However, the point I was really trying to make was that 'Head Of Football Operations' sounded very different from what I thought SC was offering.
I think PB suggested RD was someone he could work with in such a role.

I think PB suggested RD was someone he could work with in such a role.
Just checked the Echo article and that is correct. To be clear, I think SC could bring a lot to the club through his knowledge and contacts but a 'Head Of Football Operations' role didn't strike me as the most obvious role for him.

Personally I think it's still more achievable to push for 'change' than 'Ron out'. The 'change' didn't mean employ Stan and/or a CEO - it's about changing the ethos and culture to enable a long term sustainable club. Once Ron has his housing estate, he may well look for an exit from the football side of things, and so agreeing a succession plan wiith him to enable greater supporter ownership at that point could be a fantastic goal.

How do you change the ethos and culture, when you have the same person and the top that continues to adopt the same ethos and culture ? How long are you prepared to wait for this so called stadium and housing estate ? When we're playing Catholic United Vets away ? He's been here how long, and as yet, we still do not have planning permission. He has given no indication that he'll enable greater supporter ownership, and even if he did, it would only be part of SUFC Ltd which is worthless (millions in debt).

Is there another comparable club with a 'Head of Football Operations' role? I'm not exactly clear how it works. Is it directly equivalent to a DoF?

So Ron had meetings with two potential CEO's what seems like an eternity ago. Are we any closer to one being appointed or neither if not suitable. At least let us know either way.
I am sure things are being sorted out at the club but please let's try and do our business early so we can look to bring new players in ready for pre season. L

Is there another comparable club with a 'Head of Football Operations' role? I'm not exactly clear how it works. Is it directly equivalent to a DoF?
it hints at the problem I think. DOF impinges on the manager's role, normally. Calling it something else doesn't solve the problem if its effectively the DOF- something that will always quickly become apparent. If you had two people who wanted to work together (say PB and RD) they could work it out. If you had one, or even both, that didn't then it won't. The blame game is pointless. Either both parties want to work together or they don't. In this case at least one party has picked up bat and ball and left.

I came to the conclusion stan was going to be out the picture last Friday. By going what brown said on Friday and knowing how ron likes to operate..... Ron would end up going with his ceo and Duncan for dof.

Looks like Huddersfield have a HoFO or at least they did have last year.

Well a good example as they have a HoFO but they don't have a DOF...

As the HoFO says
“The communication between the managers and the owners is really important; that generally goes through me."

Reading the role detail here definitely HoFO = DOF

Back