• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

I came to the conclusion stan was going to be out the picture last Friday. By going what brown said on Friday and knowing how ron likes to operate..... Ron would end up going with his ceo and Duncan for dof.
There was a time when a good new CEO and RD in a DOF role would have been seen by many as a good outcome (including me). There is still some interesting stuff to come i think. If there is to be no u23 manager then I think the coaching side of things is going to bring some interesting developments. Opening up coaching positions for current or former players? I wonder.

There was a time when a good new CEO and RD in a DOF role would have been seen by many as a good outcome (including me). There is still some interesting stuff to come i think. If there is to be no u23 manager then I think the coaching side of things is going to bring some interesting developments. Opening up coaching positions for current or former players? I wonder.
I do think that will be the end of stan involvement with the club and fans for that matter. More I think about it probably wouldn't of worked well..... I do have bit of hope with Brown being back he will demand right people at sufc, not just players but staff to.

I guess time will tell.

I think PB suggested RD was someone he could work with in such a role.
I'm not sure whether Ricky Duncan has the 'clout' to bring anything extra to the table in terms of improving our relationship with agents/players/local businesses, as nice a fella as he may be? Why not leave Duncan where he is and if we are going to have a CEO or a DOF at least make it someone with a proven background of success. OK I get Phil wants a direct line to RM but at the end of the day if PB calls all the shots why not just leave things as is? If Ron doesn't bring in a 'name' .. even if it does ruffle Phil's feathers .. what's the point?

I'm not sure whether Ricky Duncan has the 'clout' to bring anything extra to the table in terms of improving our relationship with agents/players/local businesses, as nice a fella as he may be? Why not leave Duncan where he is and if we are going to have a CEO or a DOF at least make it someone with a proven background of success. OK I get Phil wants a direct line to RM but at the end of the day if PB calls all the shots why not just leave things as is? If Ron doesn't bring in a 'name' .. even if it does ruffle Phil's feathers .. what's the point?
For me the more contacts that you have in the industry the better. In this day and age networks are everything. I’ve seen it in the business that I work in.

So IMO the current structure is probably as follows;

Ron Martin has a decent network of individuals in the property industry and a very poor network of contacts in the football industry due to all of the mistakes that have been made in the past.

Phil Brown will have a good network of contacts in the football industry but probably refined in the main to ex clubs and players. Of course he will also benefit from those that he has worked beside like Sam Alaydyce (probably wrong spelling)

Ricky Duncan I would think has a good network with clubs that have been connected with youth players that have come from our academy.

Of course all the above would probably be able to call in a favour or two depending on their reputation.

Compare this to the network that Stan has got. This is someone that networked daily in the football industry. It doesn’t mean that everyone on that list would respond in a positive manner but the larger the network the easier it becomes.

I work with someone who is exactly like this. His network has just grown and grown and nearly always if he needs options for issues that we have it gets resolved throughout his network!

So as some have said there is no point pinning your hopes onto one person you are not your utilising the network that person has!

For me the more contacts that you have in the industry the better. In this day and age networks are everything. I’ve seen it in the business that I work in.

So IMO the current structure is probably as follows;

Ron Martin has a decent network of individuals in the property industry and a very poor network of contacts in the football industry due to all of the mistakes that have been made in the past.

Phil Brown will have a good network of contacts in the football industry but probably refined in the main to ex clubs and players. Of course he will also benefit from those that he has worked beside like Sam Alaydyce (probably wrong spelling)

Ricky Duncan I would think has a good network with clubs that have been connected with youth players that have come from our academy.

Of course all the above would probably be able to call in a favour or two depending on their reputation.

Compare this to the network that Stan has got. This is someone that networked daily in the football industry. It doesn’t mean that everyone on that list would respond in a positive manner but the larger the network the easier it becomes.

I work with someone who is exactly like this. His network has just grown and grown and nearly always if he needs options for issues that we have it gets resolved throughout his network!

So as some have said there is no point pinning your hopes onto one person you are not your utilising the network that person has!

Let's also not forget the links that Craig Fagan has within the game, as a player he may not have reached the same heights as Stan he did play several seasons in the premiership and for several clubs.

Losing Stan is a bit of a blow but I'm not about to take a bath with my toaster just yet

Well as far as we know they "shook hands" and the Ron wanted to change some element (maybe having run it past someone else, maybe having reflected). We don't know. But you can be sure those for whom Ron can do no right will lay it all at his door. The trouble is if everything becomes one persons fault come what may then blaming him loses all its impact. Those interested in the facts will not now the ins and outs and, therefore, will probably have to get used to not knowing.
I think we will have our CEO very soon, whether a sprit of compromise or desire is forthcoming on anything else who knows.
No offence but with the decisions RM has made in the last few years can you blame people? Every manager has been the solution to all our problems and we have had quite a few now, only to be thrown in front of the No9 bus at a later date.

Then there's the matter of a transfer embargo for not paying our own players and oh yes the small issue of 19 CCJ'S.

I personally am struggling to think who else is responsible for the total embarrassment we have become as a football club ?‍♂️

Exactly this. I am truly mystified as to why Ricky Duncan is even being considered for such a role. If you have no 'proven background of success' in such a role, then at least being some experience of working in first team football and a decent book of contacts along with it. Ricky Duncan has neither and, as you say, I don't think he'll bring much to the table in terms of convincing clubs/agents/players/local businesses to agree to do business with SUFC again in the way Stan Collymore would have done.

That's great and everything.....but sorry, Ricky Duncan ain't a DoF, and PB shouldn't be able to dictate that his mates or those he 'trusts' should take such roles.

Out of interest what makes Stan a DoF.

One month ago all the fans were demanding was a CEO. PB worked well with our last one, so yes good idea.

Stan pops up and sort of invented the role for himself. A job he has zero experience or track record in, yet some fans are now slagging RD as not suitable.

Its a job a NL team don't need and certainly if you have PB as your manger. Yes Liverpool, Man City and Leicester can plan for 5 years because they can predict their income and select the players they want. We have just been relegated which means if we don't go up first go the income drops again by a huge percentage and the academy is in danger. If we go up then it jumps quite a bit.

Yes it would be more than sensible to have a good dynamic financial plan under a CEO but any 3 to 5 year DoF type plan as to how we play is a total unworkable fantasy. If we stop the slide and balance the books then yes.

Don't believe me then ask yourself how the 'project' went last season.

Last edited:
Problem is do any of us know exactly what the role of a DoF is? There must be a lot more to it than having a wide network of contacts which appears to be what SC brings to the table. If it involves some kind of long or medium term development of the football side of the club then possibly RD is a lot better suited than SC and has already been playing that role to a certain extent.

Out of interest what makes Stan a DoF.

One month ago all the fans were demanding was a CEO. PB worked well with our last one, so yes good idea.

Stan pops up and sort of invented the role for himself. A job he has zero experience or track record in, yet some fans are now slagging RD as not suitable.

Its a job a NL team don't need and certainly if you have PB as your manger. Yes Liverpool, Man City and Leicester can plan for 5 years because they can predict their income and select the players they want. We have just been relegated which means if we don't go up first go the income drops again by a huge percentage and the academy is in danger. If we go up then it jumps quite a bit.

Yes it would be more than sensible to have a good dynamic financial plan under a CEO but any 3 to 5 year DoF type plan as to how we play is a total unworkable fantasy. If we stop the slide and balance the books then yes.

Don't believe me then ask yourself how the 'project' went last season.
Completely disagree I work with I guy that has built a network of people within our industry some of them recently industry leaders whom themselves cannot believe how big his network is.

He pulls a six figure income but has easily easily saved his salary fivefold! In his case it’s never been what he knows but who he knows that has pushed us forward

Problem is do any of us know exactly what the role of a DoF is? There must be a lot more to it than having a wide network of contacts which appears to be what SC brings to the table. If it involves some kind of long or medium term development of the football side of the club then possibly RD is a lot better suited than SC and has already been playing that role to a certain extent.
A network will provide up to date information which would then be presented to those that make the decisions. The more options the easier it is to make the right choice

Im pretty sure it involves a gravy train.

A network will provide up to date information which would then be presented to those that make the decisions. The more options the easier it is to make the right choice
I get that but is someone with access to such a network the best person to be a DoF? (whatever that is)

Completely disagree I work with I guy that has built a network of people within our industry some of them recently industry leaders whom themselves cannot believe how big his network is.

He pulls a six figure income but has easily easily saved his salary fivefold! In his case it’s never been what he knows but who he knows that has pushed us forward

I don't know what you do but comparing football to other industries rarely works or has any relevance.

Even football clubs against other clubs in the same division is difficult.....As is who's black book is the biggest.

Fair point as ones that exist may vary considerably especially from the higher level.. However there are DOF job descriptions and lists of key skills required on the EFL website which I posted examples of and linked to a recent Norwich advert. Not too difficult to cobble together a decent Jd after a brief hunt. Please note one of the key features was a strong understanding of all the rules and regulations from an almost legalistic point of view. You have to be pretty talented in a number of areas. Equally many of Stans contributions and outlines could also fit much of the multi-various bill

I get that but is someone with access to such a network the best person to be a DoF? (whatever that is)
Ok so the company has an issue with x. The network is then utilised to get the best possible outcome at the lowest cost and thus the network matters.

Having said that the solutions are normally presented to the decision makers. The person with the network would present the information and make a recommendation but it doesn’t mean that it would necessarily be taken forward it just gives more choice.

This network if you will then becomes information that without the network you would not get to see and thus your options are restricted

I don't know what you do but comparing football to other industries rarely works or has any relevance.

Even football clubs against other clubs in the same division is difficult.....As is who's black book is the biggest.
I gonna agree with you there but football also differs in the fact that the chairman is very rarely held to account. It doesn’t mean to say that new age thinking can’t work in football it just needs some chairmen/women to get on board before the last ship sails

Back