• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

I am pretty disappointed that Stan did not have a role in the club in the end.
He would have brought the club more media attention which can’t be all bad, at a time when we really needed it.

I believe his profile would have been of a benefit for the club.
I really believed that everything was coming together at last and things were looking up for the club and us supporters.

What I would hate to see is a CEO who is just a puppet for Ron and Phill, as to me they both seem to be in collusion with each other, neither wanting to share the current power or position they hold with others, well phill anyway.
What I would like to see is a CEO of strong character, who won’t be scared to make his point.

But there lays the problem, to many persons with strong characters, spoils the broth.

I do think that Phill has had a big part in what has happened. It seems to myself that Ron and phill are just happy the way things are.
Ron is putting a lot of trust in phill and his football knowledge to help him were he has little. But what would happen if phill left or got sacked, again we would be back at square one again.
Nice response! It just seems to me that pretty much all are now disillusioned with Ron. For me I just want him to listen!

For most they are crying out for someone to buy the club from Ron and I don’t think they would care who!

Then we get an ex player with Southend at his heart and some don’t want that either!

so what do you want? From those that don’t want Stan or Ron or Phil for that matter? Do you really think the prince of wherever is gonna come and save your club?
It’s about as likely as a Southend fan winning the lottery.
Let’s just all sit here and watch our club slowly die

Nice response! It just seems to me that pretty much all are now disillusioned with Ron. For me I just want him to listen!

For most they are crying out for someone to buy the club from Ron and I don’t think they would care who!

Then we get an ex player with Southend at his heart and some don’t want that either!

so what do you want? From those that don’t want Stan or Ron or Phil for that matter? Do you really think the prince of wherever is gonna come and save your club?
I think everyone was happy to have stan on board, but then he quit, then came back, then quit again, then got a bit shirty then left and unfollowed people on twitter. Yes he was poked by a few posters on here, but anyone that aspires to a position in the club or indeed having spent a long time as a broadcaster in the public eye should have been able to bat that off.

It could have been great but need a level head and stability really.

A supporters buy out?

Many have pointed out we can't agree on here and we all want the same thing so not sure how it would work but others have succeeded so why couldn't we?

I would be up for that if it was achievable ?

I think everyone was happy to have stan on board, but then he quit, then came back, then quit again, then got a bit shirty then left and unfollowed people on twitter. Yes he was poked by a few posters on here, but anyone that aspires to a position in the club or indeed having spent a long time as a broadcaster in the public eye should have been able to bat that off.

It could have been great but need a level head and stability really.
A pretty unique position though. How many of us would engage with a few hundred before trying to secure a role for the benefit of the few hundred? Very few

A supporters buy out?

Many have pointed out we can't agree on here and we all want the same thing so not sure how it would work but others have succeeded so why couldn't we?

We would never be able to agree on that. If we can’t agree on the best opportunity to be presented to us in my lifetime how how how would we agree on a buy out??

We would never be able to agree on that. If we can’t agree on the best opportunity to be presented to us in my lifetime how how how would we agree on a buy out??
If you are referring to Stan I think by far the majority did very much welcome his input and the glimmer of hope he gave us but unfortunately not all.

Most successful businesses are built on sharing views and opinions and we are all entitled to them so who knows ?‍♂️

If you are referring to Stan I think by far the majority did very much welcome his input and the glimmer of hope he gave us but unfortunately not all.

Most successful businesses are built on sharing views and opinions and we are all entitled to them so who knows ?‍♂️
Agree completely but we don’t do that do we. Tell me the last time that we agreed on something that has benefited our club apart from the inclusivity programme??

This is what I just cannot understand !!! given that Martin has all but destroyed our club, along with our hopes, dreams and aspirations, how is it that there are still those, who even now, post comments in support of him ? How bad has the pathetic state of SUFC got to be for some people ?

Are there several "plants" in the SZ , whose secret function is to defend Martin no matter how low he brings us down ? :Hilarious:.......... it certainly seems likely ??

An apology from RM in one of the zoom meetings or the BBC interview would have had a massive impact on my feelings but he couldn't even manage that.

As far as I am concerned there is only one person to blame for this disaster and he happily and consistently blames anyone and everyone else.

In all my years owning / running a business I always took the blame if my staff made a mistake even if I wasn't on site. I employed them, trained them and gave them the responsibility. Anything less is spineless and disrespectful.
Which is laudable- and very regrettably unusual

Its
This is what I just cannot understand !!! given that Martin has all but destroyed our club, along with our hopes, dreams and aspirations, how is it that there are still those, who even now, post comments in support of him ? How bad has the pathetic state of SUFC got to be for some people ?

Are there several "plants" in the SZ , whose secret function is to defend Martin no matter how low he brings us down ? :Hilarious:.......... it certainly seems likely ??
It’s the same old ‘careful what you wish for’ and ‘better the devil you know’ attitude.

Well if we’re playing safe with Ron then it’s backing an owner of us as a non-league football club.

‘It could be a lot worse’ some say, but the reality is that the way the club is being operated is taking us down (and out the league) in a spiral that doesn’t show any change of direction.

I worry that we’ll now go shiz or bust to go back up, but without changing the structure that has caused this free-fall I fear the latter is most likely even with safe pair of hands Ron owning us.

The real pain in the backside though for me is feeling absolutely stuck with him. Even if there was a queue of prospective buyers he isn’t selling.

Its

It’s the same old ‘careful what you wish for’ and ‘better the devil you know’ attitude.

Well if we’re playing safe with Ron then it’s backing an owner of us as a non-league football club.

‘It could be a lot worse’ some say, but the reality is that the way the club is being operated is taking us down (and out the league) in a spiral that doesn’t show any change of direction.

I worry that we’ll now go shiz or bust to go back up, but without changing the structure that has caused this free-fall I fear the latter is most likely even with safe pair of hands Ron owning us.

The real pain in the backside though for me is feeling absolutely stuck with him. Even if there was a queue of prospective buyers he isn’t selling.
The thing is he really can do whatever he wants! Change our colours, emblem, nickname. He could even burn ? Roots Hall to the ground!

I genuinely feel that he loves Southend but he really doesn’t help himself especially when so many are willing to help

A supporters buy out?

It's not achieveable

The thing is he really can do whatever he wants! Change our colours, emblem, nickname. He could even burn ? Roots Hall to the ground!

I genuinely feel that he loves Southend but he really doesn’t help himself especially when so many are willing to help
Loves Southend or loves the pot of gold he’s chasing after? We’re just an inconvenience.

The whole club has been a shambles for the last 3 seasons and this is mainly because Ron has no other strategy than to make knee jerk decisions when we are in a crisis. Appointing PB is just the latest gamble in a succession of losing bets.

What Stan was suggesting was eminently sensible as a structure and could actually save us money in preventing some of the costly mistakes that have been made consistently by different managers over recent seasons. However there was no way Phil would accept any input from a strong independent DOF so not surprisingly Ron decided to stick with the person he knows rather than inject new football ideas into the club. Whatever you think of Stan he really took the time to consult and interact with fans and made us feel positive about the club. Unfortunately Ron and PB don’t have great listening skills and their interactions with fans feel more like party political broadcasts than 2 way conversations.

Maybe Ron’s latest roll of the dice with PB will work or maybe not. A CEO would certainly be a step forward but only if Ron gives him some power to run the club and not just relieve his administration burden. Personally I think Stan could have delivered a lot of value to the club but with the personalities involved you can see why this has not happened. I am not a Martin out person as I think Ron has good intentions for the club. However I would like to see some humility from him to admit that he has made some bad decisions in recent years and not just throw others under the bus. I don’t agree with the constant assertions from Rigsby that the fans are the cause of the club’s decline - indeed our fanbase has a lot of value to offer the club such as the activities of the Trust but it’s difficult for us all to maintain enthusiasm when results on the field are consistently dire.

Let’s hope for a good pre- season and some decent signings that can help save us from the ongoing misery of the last 3 years.

So what now? I backed Stan from the beginning. Felt like he offered a lot. Most importantly he would have been our inside man. The guy on the inside of the club who we felt represented us supporters. But that seems to be dead now.

Do we go back and hide? Accept our club resides solely in the hands of Ron and say to ourselves “well, it can’t be as bad as last year can it?” and allow him to continue to run his empire like a megalomaniac with a puppet CEO and a high profile manager bringing in his old buddies.

Or do we fight for change? Do we pressure as much as we can to get the type of people we want to see in the club by whatever means at our disposal?

I’m just a lone voice but the supporters groups (SOS, Shrimpers Trust etc) have lines to the top and can put the pressure on and rally the supporters to back changes for the greater good. We really need to be one voice right now but it seems as though, with Stan out of the picture, we are now all shouting at the moon and ultimately we will be no better off than we are now, than we were 12 months ago.

The whole club has been a shambles for the last 3 seasons and this is mainly because Ron has no other strategy than to make knee jerk decisions when we are in a crisis. Appointing PB is just the latest gamble in a succession of losing bets.

What Stan was suggesting was eminently sensible as a structure and could actually save us money in preventing some of the costly mistakes that have been made consistently by different managers over recent seasons. However there was no way Phil would accept any input from a strong independent DOF so not surprisingly Ron decided to stick with the person he knows rather than inject new football ideas into the club. Whatever you think of Stan he really took the time to consult and interact with fans and made us feel positive about the club. Unfortunately Ron and PB don’t have great listening skills and their interactions with fans feel more like party political broadcasts than 2 way conversations.

Maybe Ron’s latest roll of the dice with PB will work or maybe not. A CEO would certainly be a step forward but only if Ron gives him some power to run the club and not just relieve his administration burden. Personally I think Stan could have delivered a lot of value to the club but with the personalities involved you can see why this has not happened. I am not a Martin out person as I think Ron has good intentions for the club. However I would like to see some humility from him to admit that he has made some bad decisions in recent years and not just throw others under the bus. I don’t agree with the constant assertions from Rigsby that the fans are the cause of the club’s decline - indeed our fanbase has a lot of value to offer the club such as the activities of the Trust but it’s difficult for us all to maintain enthusiasm when results on the field are consistently dire.

Let’s hope for a good pre- season and some decent signings that can help save us from the ongoing misery of the last 3 years.
Excellent points ?

So what now? I backed Stan from the beginning. Felt like he offered a lot. Most importantly he would have been our inside man. The guy on the inside of the club who we felt represented us supporters. But that seems to be dead now.

Do we go back and hide? Accept our club resides solely in the hands of Ron and say to ourselves “well, it can’t be as bad as last year can it?” and allow him to continue to run his empire like a megalomaniac with a puppet CEO and a high profile manager bringing in his old buddies.

Or do we fight for change? Do we pressure as much as we can to get the type of people we want to see in the club by whatever means at our disposal?

I’m just a lone voice but the supporters groups (SOS, Shrimpers Trust etc) have lines to the top and can put the pressure on and rally the supporters to back changes for the greater good. We really need to be one voice right now but it seems as though, with Stan out of the picture, we are now all shouting at the moon and ultimately we will be no better off than we are now, than we were 12 months ago.
Trouble is as far as I can see, by far the majority are delighted with PB's appointment and there is a lot defending RM on here.

I have said it before but any business that has been failing abysmally over a period of 3 years or more would either be bust or had a complete change of ownership.

I am and have been throughout all this advocating new blood from top to bottom but human nature is to look for comfort, so we look backwards to what made us happy rather than the very scary territory of change and I am afraid RM has done exactly that and I fear PB will do the same.

? I have it wrong as I would love to be on here in May 2022 admitting that an old comfy armchair is the solution.

Problem is do any of us know exactly what the role of a DoF is? There must be a lot more to it than having a wide network of contacts which appears to be what SC brings to the table. If it involves some kind of long or medium term development of the football side of the club then possibly RD is a lot better suited than SC and has already been playing that role to a certain extent.
This. What is the purpose of the DoF? What problem is it trying to solve? Then anything else would stem from that.

Back