• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

From your own assertion you have come up with Ron or Phil would not listen to anyone, purely to fit your own narrow view of things. As for new ideas, How did the 'project' go last season. I personally have never seen any team at any level pass their way out from the back to climb out of a relegation zone.

Stan certainly did not take time to consult any fans unless you were posting blue hearts. If he really cared about you he would have secured the job privately first. Rather than exploit our demise to whip up some angry fans.

Stan had trouble fitting in as a player during his career and has never worked in anything like what he was hinting at. We don't actually know what he was after or whether it was even remotely feasible because he wouldn't tell us. A significantly large and silenced group who are old enough to have been an adult when Stan played at RH more or less knew what was coming.

When we tried to engage we were sneered at by Stan.

As for your claim against me, I'm only passing on the message from former players, coaches and players families. Its always along the same lines of "I have met some of the best fans whilst at Southend but also some of the worst"

When a mangers or players family are siting in the main stand at Gillingham and they hear the locals spend the whole game targeting our staff. They ignore it and accept there are those sad idiots who need a confidence boost by shouting vile abuse from the safety of their seat, knowing there can be no reply

What upsets them is hearing the same abuse the following week to the same man but this time its at RH.....Both Coker and Timlin have ended up reacting and arguing with people in the East during a game.

If that offends the people who behave like that to our own team then someone has to tell them they are a complete c***. Its nothing I wouldn't say to there face and more of you should do it next season. We will all be better off for it.

I agree that abusing our own players is totally unacceptable and all right minded supporters would agree this is despicable. We should not let a few idiots distract that home and away we often provide strong passionate support which also helps the team.

I never understood why Ron appointed MM. It was Ron who chose to give a rookie manager a 3 year contract and through a misplaced sense of loyalty kept him on too long. Maybe Ron needs football advice from a wider range of contacts as his recent management appointments have not been good. Paul Sturrock was a genius appointment and like all supporters I hope that bringing Phil back is also a big success.

As for Stan he clearly did spend a lot of time in the last few weeks engaging with fans and indeed put his hand in his pocket to contribute to our inclusivity fund. If his presence has encouraged Ron to employ a good CEO then it has probably been worthwhile for all of us.

I am not someone ITK so can only post based on my own observations. Ron deserves full praise for the good times he brought this club in the past but the last 3 years have been very sad for all of us and it is not surprising that some of us question the judgment of the chairman.

Another day and no statement, if it wasn't SUFC I would be shocked but as a supporter who pays their wages (with a few thousand others of course) through the turnstiles, shop etc I am very used to bring treated with no respect and taken for granted.

Not anymore RM ?

Last edited:
I agree that abusing our own players is totally unacceptable and all right minded supporters would agree this is despicable. We should not let a few idiots distract that home and away we often provide strong passionate support which also helps the team.

I never understood why Ron appointed MM. It was Ron who chose to give a rookie manager a 3 year contract and through a misplaced sense of loyalty kept him on too long. Maybe Ron needs football advice from a wider range of contacts as his recent management appointments have not been good. Paul Sturrock was a genius appointment and like all supporters I hope that bringing Phil back is also a big success.

As for Stan he clearly did spend a lot of time in the last few weeks engaging with fans and indeed put his hand in his pocket to contribute to our inclusivity fund. If his presence has encouraged Ron to employ a good CEO then it has probably been worthwhile for all of us.

I am not someone ITK so can only post based on my own observations. Ron deserves full praise for the good times he brought this club in the past but the last 3 years have been very sad for all of us and it is not surprising that some of us question the judgment of the chairman.

Yes we all have questioned his judgement but I can tell you he does listen and I owe all of you an apology

After randomly bumping into Ron in the car park. Me and friend half jokingly talked him into changing the goal nets from thin blue, is it really in, to white. Which shimmy very nicely when the ball goes flying in. Our theory was you are more aware where they goal is and a better target would make it more likely we would score.

Ever since we have had a shocking home record as it seems plenty of away teams have proved our theory correct

So there you go, I am proof that fans who think they know best never stop to consider the alternative outcome.

A decent CEO will have planned spending and income budgets. Will know how much is to be spent on everything from basics like loo rolls (and yes.... onions!) to grass seed and ground maintenance and what income and fund raising needs to take place using the players. Something that has dried up due to how things are run. He will know the ins and outs of the clubs finances in depth. People will get paid on time and gradually the club will recover some reputation in the local business community.
It will improve things no end and save money haemoraging frivoulously. Its a huge asset for us compared to how things have been. RM knows this. Im hoping therel be news soon.

Yeah, this. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is absolutely no coincidence that this football club's most stable off-field periods in recent memory came when Tara Brady and Steve Kavanagh were running the show.

It’s the structure or lack of/Ron that has made those recruitments and created the circumstances for the embargos.

I don’t like the hopefully part, I think a lot thought that last season and the penny would drop before we were relegated out the football league. I fear the complacency will loom large again as we’re ‘a big fish’ in this league.
I've only heard the same interviews as everyone else, but Ron sounded like it has hit home that we can't coast along.
But you raise another good point, fans have to realise that all teams lose games, whatever division. We need to get behind the team and not stage protests if we haven't won every game by October.

I stand to be corrected on the CEO but that was never really my main point. But I also don’t think we need a safe pair of hands. Right now we have dropped like a stone for years. We need progressive change which means someone who challenges the status quo and looks to be a different voice to Ron. As I said, happy to be proven wrong and the CEO isn’t a Ron puppet but we will see.
thing is, we'll have no idea about what goes on behind the scenes, which is where a CEO does their work. If we lose games they'll get called a puppet. if we win no one says anything. that can't be what their job is about

I've only heard the same interviews as everyone else, but Ron sounded like it has hit home that we can't coast along.
But you raise another good point, fans have to realise that all teams lose games, whatever division. We need to get behind the team and not stage protests if we haven't won every game by October.
What about if we haven’t won in our first 10-15 games, would protests be acceptable then?! ?

I think Blues fans do realise that games are lost because we've done it better then most over the last two years,in fact we are bloody good at it.

Geoff King was actually a real innovator in sports marketing. Southend had at one point one of the largest customer databases in the UK. Sadly the budget and appetite for these things dwindled after Ross left.

He was also a very unpleasant man.

Think you missed one between King and Kavanagh

Could be.Though I think it's more signficant that the Chairman took over the role himself after the latter left.Thus causing a lot of our recent problems,IMO.

CEOs of Southend United:

John Adams - unknown - December 1999
Geoffrey King - unknown- December 2010
Tara Brady December 2010 - March 2012
Gary Lockett March 2012-September 2012
Steve Kavanagh October 2012-September 2016

Danny Macklin was commercial director when Kavanagh left. Instead he moved to Orient in November 2017 and is now their CEO.

So we havent had a CEO for almost 5 years.

Last edited:
CEOs of Southend United:

Geoffrey King - unknown- December 2010
Tara Brady December 2010 - March 2012
Gary Lockett March 2012-September 2012
Steve Kavanagh October 2012-September 2016

Danny Macklin was commercial director when Kavanagh left. Instead he moved to Orient in November 2017 and is now their CEO.

So we havent had a CEO for almost 5 years.

Can anyone see a correlation?

As a fan, I found him bit of a ****! He didn't really seem to connect with the fanbase at all....... seemed to be miserable sod to, what I remember of gk.
Always remember him at Barnsley 15 years ago (17 Apr 2006) walking around the side of the pitch before ko and looking up at the significant number of travelling Shrimpers with admiration but at the same time the look of 'this is all down to me'. Some of it was. FT 2-2 from 2-0 down. Support as, or v.close to, image poss more. And the Barnsley boys at the end of t'game, desperate for a punch-up...where was GK when he was needed?!CIMG8569.JPG

Last edited:
Always remember him at Barnsley 15 years ago (17 Apr 2006) walking around the side of the pitch before ko and looking up at the significant number of travelling Shrimpers with admiration but at the same time the look of 'this is all down to me'. Some of it was. FT 2-2 from 2-0 down. Support as, or v.close to, image poss more. And the Barnsley boys at the end of t'game, desperate for a punch-up...where was GK when he was needed?!View attachment 15702

what a day that was

Always remember him at Barnsley 15 years ago (17 Apr 2006) walking around the side of the pitch before ko and looking up at the significant number of travelling Shrimpers with admiration but at the same time the look of 'this is all down to me'. Some of it was. FT 2-2 from 2-0 down. Support as, or v.close to, image poss more. And the Barnsley boys at the end of t'game, desperate for a punch-up...where was GK when he was needed?!View attachment 15702
I remember the time he blasted block w in the west stand for standing up during games..... considering the away fans did also stand. He just seem to be always on the attack if fans done something slightly wrong. I don't think the guy was football person.

Problem is do any of us know exactly what the role of a DoF is? There must be a lot more to it than having a wide network of contacts which appears to be what SC brings to the table. If it involves some kind of long or medium term development of the football side of the club then possibly RD is a lot better suited than SC and has already been playing that role to a certain extent.
One of the things Stan suggested was that he checked all clubs statements before they went out ( he gave the examples of not throwing MM under a bus). Totally agree with this , makes total sense that SOMEONE should check gather ( and is something my firm does-my boss can not bypass the process). However I would also say people in glass houses........

Back