• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Club statement or not?

How do you change the ethos and culture, when you have the same person and the top that continues to adopt the same ethos and culture ? How long are you prepared to wait for this so called stadium and housing estate ? When we're playing Catholic United Vets away ? He's been here how long, and as yet, we still do not have planning permission. He has given no indication that he'll enable greater supporter ownership, and even if he did, it would only be part of SUFC Ltd which is worthless (millions in debt).

Now the council are on-side (at least were prior to the recent election) then the planning permission will ultimately be passed - maybe not first attempt, but it will be pushed over the line.

The debt will be, if Ron is held at his word, be written off, so potentially a debt free club might be available for the fans. On-going running costs are an issue that will need to be addressed.

Ron is ultimately getting old, he will need a succession plan. IMO the role of SOS, SUSCT etc is try and ensure the supporters are at the table when he is planning this. Does his family want to inherit the club? Does he want to leave a legacy?

How does the culture change between now and Ron's ultimate exit? Ron needs to see that it is in his best interests to change. Hopefully Stan's conversations with Ron have planted a seed, hopefully he knows change is needed, but it needs to be Ron's idea and Ron's way. As I said change is not Stan or a CEO, it needs to come from Ron.

Now the council are on-side (at least were prior to the recent election) then the planning permission will ultimately be passed - maybe not first attempt, but it will be pushed over the line.

The debt will be, if Ron is held at his word, be written off, so potentially a debt free club might be available for the fans. On-going running costs are an issue that will need to be addressed.

Ron is ultimately getting old, he will need a succession plan. IMO the role of SOS, SUSCT etc is try and ensure the supporters are at the table when he is planning this. Does his family want to inherit the club? Does he want to leave a legacy?

How does the culture change between now and Ron's ultimate exit? Ron needs to see that it is in his best interests to change. Hopefully Stan's conversations with Ron have planted a seed, hopefully he knows change is needed, but it needs to be Ron's idea and Ron's way. As I said change is not Stan or a CEO, it needs to come from Ron.
It is a very rare occurrence for one man to change a culture. It normally will take a team of forward thinking individuals to achieve this. Not saying it can’t be done. What do you think Ron. Are you up for change??

Out of interest what makes Stan a DoF.

One month ago all the fans were demanding was a CEO. PB worked well with our last one, so yes good idea.

Stan pops up and sort of invented the role for himself. A job he has zero experience or track record in, yet some fans are now slagging RD as not suitable.

Its a job a NL team don't need and certainly if you have PB as your manger. Yes Liverpool, Man City and Leicester can plan for 5 years because they can predict their income and select the players they want. We have just been relegated which means if we don't go up first go the income drops again by a huge percentage and the academy is in danger. If we go up then it jumps quite a bit.

Yes it would be more than sensible to have a good dynamic financial plan under a CEO but any 3 to 5 year DoF type plan as to how we play is a total unworkable fantasy. If we stop the slide and balance the books then yes.

Don't believe me then ask yourself how the 'project' went last season.

I broadly agree with you. I'm not sure we need a DoF. If Stan Collymore could have been brought on board in some other role that doesn't come with the pressure and pigeon-holing that a DoF-type person is subjected to, so that the Club could benefit from his excellent contacts and influencing skills, then great. But if he had been given DoF then at least he would bring those contacts and influencing skills to at least part make up for his lack of track record in such a role. As I said, Ricky Duncan would bring neither in my opinion.

I broadly agree with you. I'm not sure we need a DoF. If Stan Collymore could have been brought on board in some other role that doesn't come with the pressure and pigeon-holing that a DoF-type person is subjected to, so that the Club could benefit from his excellent contacts and influencimg skills, then great. But if he had bbeen given DoF then at least he would bring those contacts and influencing skills to at least part make up for his lack of track record in such a role. As I said, Ricky Duncan would bring neither in my opinion.
Titles don’t matter unless in our case it’s the NL Title next year!

Out of interest what makes Stan a DoF.

One month ago all the fans were demanding was a CEO. PB worked well with our last one, so yes good idea.

Stan pops up and sort of invented the role for himself. A job he has zero experience or track record in, yet some fans are now slagging RD as not suitable.

Its a job a NL team don't need and certainly if you have PB as your manger. Yes Liverpool, Man City and Leicester can plan for 5 years because they can predict their income and select the players they want. We have just been relegated which means if we don't go up first go the income drops again by a huge percentage and the academy is in danger. If we go up then it jumps quite a bit.

Yes it would be more than sensible to have a good dynamic financial plan under a CEO but any 3 to 5 year DoF type plan as to how we play is a total unworkable fantasy. If we stop the slide and balance the books then yes.

Don't believe me then ask yourself how the 'project' went last season.
Must say I was surprised Stan was going for an official role and as DOF, but as for the CEO idea .. if we’re gonna have one it surely needs to be someone who’s worked in a similar role before. Otherwise why not just stay as is.
In fairness I think Phil would welcome someone with experience and contacts coming in as long as he could do his job unhindered and have his direct line to Ron. It doesn’t have to be Stan’s man but there’s a case for a CEO and it surely can’t be Duncan that Ron’s got in mind.

No offence but with the decisions RM has made in the last few years can you blame people? Every manager has been the solution to all our problems and we have had quite a few now, only to be thrown in front of the No9 bus at a later date.

Then there's the matter of a transfer embargo for not paying our own players and oh yes the small issue of 19 CCJ'S.

I personally am struggling to think who else is responsible for the total embarrassment we have become as a football club ?‍♂️
I wasn’t saying he has not got a lot to answer for. He has. Just that everything that goes “wrong” is not always his fault. And if that’s the impression given then blaming him loses its impact.

I wasn’t saying he has not got a lot to answer for. He has. Just that everything that goes “wrong” is not always his fault. And if that’s the impression given then blaming him loses its impact.
But he needs to accept this and work with others to move forward

I'm not sure whether Ricky Duncan has the 'clout' to bring anything extra to the table in terms of improving our relationship with agents/players/local businesses, as nice a fella as he may be? Why not leave Duncan where he is and if we are going to have a CEO or a DOF at least make it someone with a proven background of success. OK I get Phil wants a direct line to RM but at the end of the day if PB calls all the shots why not just leave things as is? If Ron doesn't bring in a 'name' .. even if it does ruffle Phil's feathers .. what's the point?
Not saying if RD would be right or not. Just that people on here have said it would be a good idea and PB happened to mention it. TBH I think it depends on how you define the role. If you defined it around RD’s strengths, and forgot the more traditional DOF JD (and accept that if we have a good CEO maybe at our level we don’t need an all empowering DOF) then it could work. Perhaps we give the job another title- seems to be all the rage at the moment..

No offence but with the decisions RM has made in the last few years can you blame people? Every manager has been the solution to all our problems and we have had quite a few now, only to be thrown in front of the No9 bus at a later date.

Then there's the matter of a transfer embargo for not paying our own players and oh yes the small issue of 19 CCJ'S.

I personally am struggling to think who else is responsible for the total embarrassment we have become as a football club ?‍♂️

The number 9 was cancelled last summer. Despite the best efforts of Ron and MM to get one reinstated back in January, sadly none have been seen since. The reserve one couldn't even make it for a routine service. So after several failed attempts it has now been scrapped.

Must say I was surprised Stan was going for an official role and as DOF, but as for the CEO idea .. if we’re gonna have one it surely needs to be someone who’s worked in a similar role before. Otherwise why not just stay as is.
In fairness I think Phil would welcome someone with experience and contacts coming in as long as he could do his job unhindered and have his direct line to Ron. It doesn’t have to be Stan’s man but there’s a case for a CEO and it surely can’t be Duncan that Ron’s got in mind.
I thought Stan’s candidate would be ready to step into this role (got the impression he wasn’t currently a CEO). The other candidate is a CEO but contracted to another club till the end of June. Was there a rumour he might have something to do with a club the other side of the estuary?

Surely priority is CEO, who’s job it should be to decide if a DoF / HoFO is needed, and then appoint if it is. Doesn’t make any business sense to bring the CEO in after making such appointments.

The number 9 was cancelled last summer. Despite the best efforts of Ron and MM to get one reinstated back in January, sadly none have been seen since. The reserve one couldn't even make it for a routine service. So after several failed attempts it has now been scrapped.

Hopefully not permanently.

Damn, how am I going to get to future protests at Roots Hall now?

Is there a No 10 Ron can call upon when it all goes pear shape with PB ?

I thought Stan’s candidate would be ready to step into this role (got the impression he wasn’t currently a CEO). The other candidate is a CEO but contracted to another club till the end of June. Was there a rumour he might have something to do with a club the other side of the estuary?
Yeah that was mentioned by a couple of people. To Rigsby’s point we shouldn’t over complicate things too much, most important thing is being NL ready and getting some good, hungry players in early .. to start on the front foot .. which is where we’ve failed the last 2 seasons. Personally I think a good CEO makes sense as it’s worked before. But it has to be the right person. Ron’s said this himself. It also has to satisfy a fan base who are now crying out for some kind of change and may be underwhelmed by RD being given a new title and, well that’s it. I’m sure that’s not going to happen.

has that ship sailed like Stan over a week has passed and no mention of either CEO .May be the two have has second thoughts about coming to a club were they cant trust its chairman to speak to truth the whole truth and nothing but a pack of lies .

I am pretty disappointed that Stan did not have a role in the club in the end.
He would have brought the club more media attention which can’t be all bad, at a time when we really needed it.

I believe his profile would have been of a benefit for the club.
I really believed that everything was coming together at last and things were looking up for the club and us supporters.

What I would hate to see is a CEO who is just a puppet for Ron and Phill, as to me they both seem to be in collusion with each other, neither wanting to share the current power or position they hold with others, well phill anyway.
What I would like to see is a CEO of strong character, who won’t be scared to make his point.

But there lays the problem, to many persons with strong characters, spoils the broth.

I do think that Phill has had a big part in what has happened. It seems to myself that Ron and phill are just happy the way things are.
Ron is putting a lot of trust in phill and his football knowledge to help him were he has little. But what would happen if phill left or got sacked, again we would be back at square one again.

An apology from RM in one of the zoom meetings or the BBC interview would have had a massive impact on my feelings but he couldn't even manage that.

As far as I am concerned there is only one person to blame for this disaster and he happily and consistently blames anyone and everyone else.

In all my years owning / running a business I always took the blame if my staff made a mistake even if I wasn't on site. I employed them, trained them and gave them the responsibility. Anything less is spineless and disrespectful.

Last edited:
Back