• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in regards to travel in this country everybody is cashing in prices and have gone sky high.

And that is why the tourism industry in this country is missing a golden opportunity to encourage people back in to the habit of holidaying again in this country. Appreciate that they had a bad year last year but cashing in on a captive audience to the extent of some prices I've seen quoted will just drive people back to cheaper foreign holidays as soon as they can travel again.
I think we all expected prices would be a bit higher to try and recoup some of their losses but some are just silly. I've got accommodation booked to attend a wedding postponed from last year and luckily transferred the booking to the rearranged date later this year. Looked at the same accommodation this year and the week either side of mine are virtually double what I paid last year. Because it is a large house the increase in price for the week would nearly cover a fortnight in Turkey for me next year...

And that is why the tourism industry in this country is missing a golden opportunity to encourage people back in to the habit of holidaying again in this country. Appreciate that they had a bad year last year but cashing in on a captive audience to the extent of some prices I've seen quoted will just drive people back to cheaper foreign holidays as soon as they can travel again.
I think we all expected prices would be a bit higher to try and recoup some of their losses but some are just silly.

Listened to a Radio phone in yesterday, about ridiculous prices being quoted. Somewhere in Cornwall, the price for 2 weeks in a Caravan/ Mobile home was £8,000 FFS!.
Surely not even a very wealthy family would pay that much, would they......

Listened to a Radio phone in yesterday, about ridiculous prices being quoted. Somewhere in Cornwall, the price for 2 weeks in a Caravan/ Mobile home was £8,000 FFS!.
Surely not even a very wealthy family would pay that much, would they......

That can't be true, surely.

I have friends who live in Texas, (who also own an apartment in Cheltenham). They come over for a few months every year in the summer and travel all around the Country. They got some really good deals what they told me. Though, they do plan everything in advance, even home delivery for quarantine eg.

You would hope that these places kept it reasonable. I accept that they have to try and recoup losses but the British public have long memories. I remember when the eclipse happened in Cornwall and the tourist industry was rubbing its hands, it turned out people weren't that bothered. When foreign travel opens up fully there will be some mega deals available.

You would hope that these places kept it reasonable. I accept that they have to try and recoup losses but the British public have long memories. I remember when the eclipse happened in Cornwall and the tourist industry was rubbing its hands, it turned out people weren't that bothered. When foreign travel opens up fully there will be some mega deals available.
Unfortunately the economic situation means some of these businesses need to claw back three quarters' worth of lost revenue. I don't blame the businesses to be honest,

Every small/medium business I've been to since the country's grand re-opening is charging more, the only businesses winning at the moment are the large companies and multinationals who are the only ones with the money to sink into operating at capacity throughout this pandemic.

One thing that has to be taken in consideration in regards to death rates is population increase. Since 2000 the UK population has increased by around 10 million.

That will impact the total number of deaths - but not the death rates - which are measured per 100,000 of population.

2nd vaccine done yesterday. Even less side effects than the 1st i.e. nothing other than a little tenderness round the vaccine site.

If it's the anti-vaxxers keep us from opening up on 21st June then I won't be happy.
I won't be happy if that is the excuse that is used to stop the opening up.

It won't be, but I worry that people choosing not to get vaccinated are part of the increase in case numbers.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if you increase humanity's ability to mix together in larger numbers then there is bound to be a reaction on the number of Covid cases. I have no doubt that the scientists and health experts have factored that into their modelling, so provided the figures are not out stripping their projections then 21 June will happen. The unknown is whether the Delta strain will bugger it all up, It appears to spread approx 45% easier/faster that previous strains. What I would be interested in is how many of the new cases are seriously ill from contracting the new strain.

@OldBlueLady it appears to be young and un vax persons getting c19 now, however as long as they don't get hospital admitted or worse then the herd of safety is growing.
The stats for returning holiday makers might be interesting data?
Once again poor journalism and not asking simple questions is not helping general knowledge of infection trends.
And the mask in shops needs re clarity, and then a actioning, if it now discarded so be it BUT if wearing has value then enforce it.

It won't be, but I worry that people choosing not to get vaccinated are part of the increase in case numbers.
Valid point but, have to say most people are now turning up for their appointments and yesterday we had a lot younger age group in and all were eager to have their 1st or 2nd
I do believe we are going in the right direction now

@OldBlueLady it appears to be young and un vax persons getting c19 now, however as long as they don't get hospital admitted or worse then the herd of safety is growing.
The stats for returning holiday makers might be interesting data?
Once again poor journalism and not asking simple questions is not helping general knowledge of infection trends.
And the mask in shops needs re clarity, and then a actioning, if it now discarded so be it BUT if wearing has value then enforce it.

My son is still waiting for his call, he's 29. Hopefully not much longer.

On masks, I think these need to be optional asap. See so many people wearing them incorrectly anyway, and little has ever been done to enforce correct wearing.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if you increase humanity's ability to mix together in larger numbers then there is bound to be a reaction on the number of Covid cases. I have no doubt that the scientists and health experts have factored that into their modelling, so provided the figures are not out stripping their projections then 21 June will happen. The unknown is whether the Delta strain will bugger it all up, It appears to spread approx 45% easier/faster that previous strains. What I would be interested in is how many of the new cases are seriously ill from contracting the new strain.

Funny you say that because we are currently running under every sage projection of hospitalisations. I’m hearing it’s now predominantly younger people in hospital not requiring intensive care and shorter stays in hospital.

My son is still waiting for his call, he's 29. Hopefully not much longer.

On masks, I think these need to be optional asap. See so many people wearing them incorrectly anyway, and little has ever been done to enforce correct wearing.
Kay, hopefully not much longer as we have been told there is high chance of next week of the age groups being lowered again.
At this rate I reckon the government will hit the projected targets of vaccinations for all adults
Personally, I think now all the vulnerable and high risk has been completed with most if not all having had their seconds I don’t know why they just don’t open it up to anyone over 18 who would like one

Does anyone know if the Covid tests you can order from the NHS shows if you've had it in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back