• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting with Phil Brown & Tom Lawrence - 5th August 2021

Very good listen as always. Great to hear Phil and some bits about standards he is expecting, and the situations around Elvis and Sim.

Thought Phil was a bit unfair to Elvis and the agent in implying that as they have nurtured him for 8 years , he owed them.
The guy probably has one chance at a decent 'money earning move , so I don't begrudge him trying to get it.
It's the way of the world.

Thought Phil was a bit unfair to Elvis and the agent in implying that as they have nurtured him for 8 years , he owed them.
The guy probably has one chance at a decent 'money earning move , so I don't begrudge him trying to get it.
I understand what your saying, if Elvis fulfils what people say he can then to wouldnt only have 1 chance. I do not think PB was overly unfair, it was harsh for sure but not unfair. Elvis doesnt have a club as it sounds and also sounds like he isnt training anywhere, we offered a contract so we get compo and Elvis’s agent didnt tell what turns out to be Orient this fact. PB said we only had to offer him, under the rules, £1 more than he was on prior to expiry, I took it we offered more than that but it was not said what we offered. Personally if Elvis isn’t training anywhere i think he has been foolish, better off training and looking.

Probably more the 'downing tools' to get a move. There's ways to do it.

I'm sure PB wouldnt begrudge Elvis a move especially if it generates a few £££ for the club, but by not coming to training its harming his chances of a move and just generally not the best way to do it.

But... he's out of contract, so not obligated to come in. Just not very professional I guess and sounds like his agent is useless.

I understand what your saying, if Elvis fulfils what people say he can then to wouldnt only have 1 chance. I do not think PB was overly unfair, it was harsh for sure but not unfair. Elvis doesnt have a club as it sounds and also sounds like he isnt training anywhere, we offered a contract so we get compo and Elvis’s agent didnt tell what turns out to be Orient this fact. PB said we only had to offer him, under the rules, £1 more than he was on prior to expiry, I took it we offered more than that but it was not said what we offered. Personally if Elvis isn’t training anywhere i think he has been foolish, better off training and looking.
I took it that we offered the "£1 more" to get the contract offer legally sorted then Phil said "as a kick off to negotiations" or something. So legally did what the league stipulates to ensure we get compo, with a view of getting round the table to hear what Elvis wants.

I took it that we offered the "£1 more" to get the contract offer legally sorted then Phil said "as a kick off to negotiations" or something. So legally did what the league stipulates to ensure we get compo, with a view of getting round the table to hear what Elvis wants.
Even if that’s the case then it would stil be foolish from Elvis not to train if he has no where to sign up to other than us.

Where ever he goes we will be entitled to compo until a certain point. Think it is the end of this window if we were in the EFL, not sure what the rules are in the NL

Even if that’s the case then it would stil be foolish from Elvis not to train if he has no where to sign up to other than us.
Ih he is not careful he will end up looking like his more famous namesake and will be asking Terrell Egbri to sneak him bags of cheeseburgers into hospital.

I thought it was a good session. PB very clear and good to understand his logic. Also good for Simon (I think) to ask how recruitment works. Helps with some of the stuff we debate but don’t really understand. I hope the Akinola thing is about a swap and can’t understand if it’s just about work rate why Sim, ANG and Fergie wouldn’t respond to that when he calls them technically gifted. Surely they aren’t being ‘lazy’ on purpose. Sim always struck as a grafter to me. For those making comments about questions that weren’t asked it seems that all attendees are happy to be sent questions in advance to ask. Also credit to Tom. Really down to earth, clearly a lot on his plate but getting his hands dirty and you see he is a fan too. Finally interesting that the free shirt hasn’t been designed yet and there is chance to influence. Maybe a tribute to an historic one or a chance for those that produce the mock ups on here.

We offered the £1 more as we needed to- but as a start point. The agent didn’t respond to the request to start negotiations. Looks like he went off to Orient where he thought more £££ were on offer but failed to mention a fee would be required. When Orient understood this they quickly went elsewhere. PB is clearly perplexed at the agents approach which was to kind of hope the fee bit didn’t exist/ the new club wouldn’t notice.

It’s all opinions- as you know I think Elvis would have been better served turning up for training, and the agent negotiating the best deal he could with us WHILST looking to see what he could find elsewhere.

But others will have a different- who is right will only become apparent when we see the outcome.

We offered the £1 more as we needed to- but as a start point. The agent didn’t respond to the request to start negotiations. Looks like he went off to Orient where he thought more £££ were on offer but failed to mention a fee would be required. When Orient understood this they quickly went elsewhere. PB is clearly perplexed at the agents approach which was to kind of hope the fee bit didn’t exist/ the new club wouldn’t notice.

It’s all opinions- as you know I think Elvis would have been better served turning up for training, and the agent negotiating the best deal he could with us WHILST looking to see what he could find elsewhere.

But others will have a different- who is right will only become apparent when we see the outcome.
that is my view for sure.

The only thing i am not sure on is the extra £1, that was the minimum i dont think PB confirmed thats what we offered unless I missed heard i thought he said all we had to do was offer £1 more.

it doesnt matter really as Elvis didnt start negotiations and is now twiddling his thumbs somewhere, maybe regretting listening to his agent.

My biggest take away is that Sim’s agent doesnt want Sim to leave as he is on a good wage with us. I would think that will impact us financially on future signings

Where ever he goes we will be entitled to compo until a certain point. Think it is the end of this window if we were in the EFL, not sure what the rules are in the NL
As he is out of contract he can move outside of the EFL window and of course there is no window in the NL. In practical terms the only way a fee/compensation can be avoided, assuming he is going to play this season, is a move abroad (which includes Scotland)?

As he is out of contract he can move outside of the EFL window and of course there is no window in the NL. In practical terms the only way a fee/compensation can be avoided, assuming he is going to play this season, is a move abroad (which includes Scotland)?
When in the football league that is correct yes, Scotland is included as abroad so very minimal compo.

There is an expiry as to when compo is due, it isnt an indefinite period so we get a fee whenever.

If you take the EFL for a point after 31/08 anyone out of contract not taking up a contract off is I believe deemed to be a free agent and can then move to any club without compo, what I am not sure on is under 24’s wether that is the same or not.

The relationship between Phil and Ron must be very interesting, both have the gift of the gab where verbal communication is a massive tool for them!

I bet Phil gives as good as he gets, hopefully we'll get a zoom call with them both on...

Well done all involved

The relationship between Phil and Ron must be very interesting, both have the gift of the gab where verbal communication is a massive tool for them!

I bet Phil gives as good as he gets, hopefully we'll get a zoom call with them both on...

Well done all involved
Ha that'd be good.

Think it was a shame last night there was no interaction between Phil and Tom though.

When in the football league that is correct yes, Scotland is included as abroad so very minimal compo.

There is an expiry as to when compo is due, it isnt an indefinite period so we get a fee whenever.

If you take the EFL for a point after 31/08 anyone out of contract not taking up a contract off is I believe deemed to be a free agent and can then move to any club without compo, what I am not sure on is under 24’s wether that is the same or not.
A fee for u24 continues beyond 31/8
Just transfer window doesn’t apply as for all out of contract players.
PB said they offered old contract plus £1 to meet the compo requirements- but expected then to negotiate a contract (but the agent didn’t even start the process)

Excellent! A big thank you to all involved.

PBs insight to how transfers etc. work was fascinating. Probably too much to ask any players to join these calls, hearing from some of the staff like CF and RD would be great though.

Probably due to have Ron on again in the near future, I guess that will be when he has news on the progress with the stadium.

Mention of Patrick for the next one, I am sure there will be many questions on the accounts

Back