• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 1-0 Southend United

To be honest so many varied opinions.

Personally I thought there were some positives. Pre-match we all expected to get smashed.

3 things disappointed me.

1. The early goal - we were caught too slow and cold.
2. After playing some good football at times in the first half we were in it at 1-0 and with a bit more quality and aggression we may have got something being more positive in the second half. Sadly it never happened.
3. The substitions were too late IMO.

Positives.

1. Kev is seriously limited with the low number of quality players he has in the squad. In view of this, he set up as best he could, away from home against a promotion chasing side. The team responded and at least put the work rate in which hasn't always been the case.
2. Despite one or two misplaced freekicks ( which is unusual), Zak Brunt showed some real quality passes and driving runs. With a couple more equal quality players around him, we could be a very different side. Louis Walsh also showed some positive glimpses but will improve with more game time and confidence. With a few more additions in January to replace Atkinson, White, Deme and Dunne, and with Ralph and Clifford to come back in, we will be a better side.
3. The players are at least working for Kev, even if they lack quality. Points will come.
4. I don't blame him for changing to 1 up top for this. At times we were the better side. If we had gone 2 up top to start with, we would have been massively exposed and the likes of Zak and Walsh made to win the ball instead of being able to be used to the best of their ability. This formation kept us in the game. However, I would have gone 2 up top with 10-15 remaining.
5. Hobson made some great blocks at the back. Was impressed with his majority defending.

In summary, impressed by the work rate of the team. No point complaining at the lack of quality. It's not going to change till we can get reinforcements in and Kev knows it. What else can he do right now?

Instead of criticising, saying the selection and formation is wrong, what would you do with the players available?? .... both to set up going forward and defensively to limit the older players being constantly exposed?

Maher didn't bring these players in but right now it's all he has to work with. Remember Franks at Brentford lost 9 of his first 10 when he took over ... now where are Brentford???

Give the man a break ......

Last edited:
For me Kev picked the right formation..only in the short term I stress...and if we hadn't have hit the panic button on the very first cross, would have taken a point from tonight.

We have not got the quality at the moment to play free flowing attacking football, so we have to do what we can with what we have got.

Had we not conceded early and got that point the issues with the squad would not have changed. Those players that Lenny mentioned would not have played themselves into extra contracts, but will have held the fort until reinforcements arrived.

We have been ripped apart this season too many times, tonight we were not, but we also haven't got the squad to go out there and take advantage of the defensive work that was being done.

It is going to take at least 4 new players and at least 6 games once they arrive, until then it is "don't lose" and some fans have got to wake up and smell the coffee, because quite frankly PB could not have put together a worst squad if he had tried....,oh he was and he did!
I agree completely with your post. Can’t believe Kev is getting stick with the OAP squad he has inherited. I’m sure the reinforcements will come soon. However I’m not against parking the bus tactics as we sure as hell we aren’t going to out scores our opponents. At least our confidence won’t get shredded every game.

As the late Jimmy Greaves said 'it's a funny old game'?. Few weeks ago we were in awe of Grimsby, storming ahead at the top of the league, comparing their early season success to our consistent demise?.
Fast forward a month, & they are anything but a top of the league team?.
We're currently like a slow puncture, having the life ebbed out of us. Hopefully within several weeks, we can pump some fresh air into the problem & drive forward?.
Great shout....

Gutted. Apart from the first 3 minutes shambolic defending we were completely in the game.

Brunt again was impressive. Murphy offside far too much.

Watched at home, fair play to every Southend fan that went to the game. Loyal supporters.

As was their player in the build up to the goal but theclino couldn't be arsed to raise his flag

I agree completely with your post. Can’t believe Kev is getting stick with the OAP squad he has inherited. I’m sure the reinforcements will come soon. However I’m not against parking the bus tactics as we sure as hell we aren’t going to out scores our opponents. At least our confidence won’t get shredded every game.

I do beleive we have an under 23 squad, just saying.

As was their player in the build up to the goal but theclino couldn't be arsed to raise his flag
I didn't see this to be honest. The player that picked up the through ball was well onside and played back in 2nd phase to someone who was offiside in first phase.

Nothing wrong with it for me and the s**t defending in the middle is inexcusable anyway

Starting Egbri, Philips and Walsh would have left us far far too lightweight. We would have lost much more heavily.

I’m not sure what people are expecting with this squad - but frankly a 1-0 defeat today and a performance that had us in the game for long periods is far better than I feared before kick off.
Sad but true.

But we are losing. Every week.
Kev's only been here for 5 games FFS, one of which was 48 hours after taking the job. Now he's got 2 of our best players out and has to reshuffle a pack with players who patently aren't good enough. So not being able to pick the players he wants, the only option is play a system to the players you have got available. Also knowing and seen that we have got smashed week in week out playing 3-5-2, it ain't that!

So he's changed it tonight and if it wasn't for God awful defending in the first three minutes after which we didn't get smashed, he would have avoided defeat just as you want, with a team we all agree are not good enough and certainly not first choice from those that are here atm.

Give the team some time for chrissake, we are not going up this season, but there are still 29 games to play. He brings in the players he needs and we get Bridge and a fit Ralph and we will turn it around , be able to get the results we all crave. However, as much as it pains me to say it, not with White, Demi, Dunne, Agogo and Atkinson as first choices.

This season is about securing safety now, nothing else and you don't achieve that in the first 15 games. It's where we are end of March that will tell us if the recovery is underway and we will get wins before then to secure safety in May to hopefully give it a crack next season.

Until we have a fit squad and some new faces be prepared for more not lose football, 'cos this squad isn't going out and winning by three goals every week or even 1 at the moment, and that's down to Phil Brown, not Kev Maher , Darren Curry or Mark Bentley.

They just have the job of clearing his **** up and they will, if we keep our expectations in the realm of sensibility.

I didn't see this to be honest. The player that picked up the through ball was well onside and played back in 2nd phase to someone who was offiside in first phase.

Nothing wrong with it for me and the s**t defending in the middle is inexcusable anyway

I agree and have seen them given plenty of times, mainly in the PL with the use of VAR.
Agree the defending was poor and it did look like they all stopped as they expected the offside flag. They all chased the guy with the ball but forgot to follow Taylor

Want to like Murphy, I really do, but he is a whiny, cheating, annoying footballer who pushes the limits every game. Mouthing off to ref, kicking players, pulling shirts, diving for free kicks and running offside due to a lack of pace in the hope the linesman misses it. It is quite frankly embarrassing.

I still however want him to score every game!

To be honest so many varied opinions.

Personally I thought there were some positives. Pre-match we all expected to get smashed.

3 things disappointed me.

1. The early goal - we were caught too slow and cold.
2. After playing some good football at times in the first half we were in it at 1-0 and with a bit more quality and aggression we may have got something being more positive in the second half. Sadly it never happened.
3. The substitions were too late IMO.

Positives.

1. Kev is seriously limited with the low number of quality players he has in the squad. In view of this, he set up as best he could, away from home against a promotion chasing side. The team responded and at least put the work rate in which hasn't always been the case.
2. Despite one or two misplaced freekicks ( which is unusual), Zak Brunt showed some real quality passes and driving runs. With a couple more equal quality players around him, we could be a very different side. Louis Walsh also showed some positive glimpses but will improve with more game time and confidence. With a few more additions in January to replace Atkinson, White, Deme and Dunne, and with Ralph and Clifford to come back in, we will be a better side.
3. The players are at least working for Kev, even if they lack quality. Points will come.
4. I don't blame him for changing to 1 up top for this. At times we were the better side. If we had gone 2 up top to start with, we would have been massively exposed and the likes of Zak and Walsh made to win the ball instead of being able to be used to the best of their ability. This formation kept us in the game. However, I would have gone 2 up top with 10-15 remaining.
5. Hobson made some great blocks at the back. Was impressed with his majority defending.

In summary, impressed by the work rate of the team. No point complaining at the lack of quality. It's not going to change till we can get reinforcements in and Kev knows it. What else can he do right now?

Instead of criticising, saying the selection and formation is wrong, what would you do with the players available?? .... both to set up going forward and defensively to limit the older players being constantly exposed?

Mayer didn't bring these players in but right now it's all he has to work with. Remember Franks at Brentford lost 9 of his first 10 when he took over ... now where are Brentford???

Give the man a break ......
.........and give him a decent watch, because surely no-one in their right mind gives a player around 30 seconds to score an equaliser. I thought it was bad enough giving Rush around 5 minutes against Woking. Rolex for Maher.......

Another weekend ruined, but this time around 20 hours early.

battled hard but lack of quality is alarming. Boreham Wood and Grimsby neither of whom looked anything special have beaten us 1~0 to go top.with more quality and belief we could have beaten both. Yes Maher has had a tough start in terms of opposition but the subs today were too late to impact the game. Recruitments needs and fast. A RB, at least 2 box to box CM and at least 2 CF. Browns recruitment shocking. Dunne in this Calendar year has lost 34 of his 41 games. This is the guy Brown brought in to help stop the rot.

only didn’t go today due to son having COVID, despite the loss and BTs awful commentary would still rather of been there tonight doing our bit.

please @StanleyVictorCollymore give us some positive news and some new signings otherwise it’s going to be a long winter. Tuesday a huge game now and we must pick up at least a point but should be going for all three

......I know Dad's Army is not necessarily your fault but don't make it worse by playing them every game!
Was thinking today whilst shopping, i wonder what Will Atkinson does when his career has obviously finished due to age....ask no further, he has got a first team spot against Grimsby tonight......wrong move Kev along with Demi, Dunne, White, these old timers will not win you football matches!
Then we see whinger of all time Murphy up front on his own , substitutions a complete waste of time with minutes to go and it's got me wondering, is this set up any better than the last 4 incompetents?

Back