• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 1-0 Southend United

.........and give him a decent watch, because surely no-one in their right mind gives a player around 30 seconds to score an equaliser. I thought it was bad enough giving Rush around 5 minutes against Woking. Rolex for Maher.......
I repeat things you must have missed ..

3. The substitions were too late IMO.

I also said: However, I would have gone 2 up top with 10-15 remaining.

Personally, you can shoot me down as everyone has an opinion .. but I don't think Rush is good enough, certainly against NL centre backs that put it about.

Dalby can at least can compete in the air so I would have stuck him on for the last 10 at least ....

Another day, another defeat, silly early goal to concede, should have cleared it. Like to see it again on TV to see who teed there player up instead of clearing. Grimsby were poor and there for the taking, liked there tricky winger No 18 who made John White look like he was running in treacle a couple of times. Sadly we are not good enough to take advantage of opportunities. We work hard, lack energy, pace and power. My KM has had to give the whole squad an outing due to injuries and trying to find a winning formula. Never thought I would see JW at right back, JD at left back, reintroduction of Will Atkinson and Rhys Murphy so isolated again.

Arnold 6
White 6
Lopata 6
Hobson 6
Demetriou 6
Atkinson 5
Ferguson 5
Dunne 5
Brunt 6 MOTM
Walsh 6
Murphy 6

Egbri 6
Dennis 5
Dalby 5

Brunt for MOTM if anything was coming it was from his probing or Walsh. First time to Blundell Park, proper old school league ground amongst houses and it was not cold. Onto another must win game Tuesday and pray results go in our favour tomorrow. UTB

3 or 4 players need to go ASAP, but we knocked it about ok I thought. I saw worse games on I follow last year. Guess I need my head testing then.

You've seen many more games than me then. I've barely watched the shower of **** for the past 2 seasons. But if you step away, screw your head off and screw it back it on again, you will see its truly dreadful. No threat, no presence, no belief, no conviction and no leadership. Its garbage. Simple. Unless changes and additions are made pronto, we are heading down!

......I know Dad's Army is not necessarily your fault but don't make it worse by playing them every game!
Was thinking today whilst shopping, i wonder what Will Atkinson does when his career has obviously finished due to age....ask no further, he has got a first team spot against Grimsby tonight......wrong move Kev along with Demi, Dunne, White, these old timers will not win you football matches!
Then we see whinger of all time Murphy up front on his own , substitutions a complete waste of time with minutes to go and it's got me wondering, is this set up any better than the last 4 incompetents?
I've always said kev is a great guy and a legend at our club but Currie should have been the manager!

I repeat things you must have missed ..

3. The substitions were too late IMO.

I also said: However, I would have gone 2 up top with 10-15 remaining.

Personally, you can shoot me down as everyone has an opinion .. but I don't think Rush is good enough, certainly against NL centre backs that put it about.

Dalby can at least can compete in the air so I would have stuck him on for the last 10 at least ....
Now now, no need to be touchy; I didn't miss what you had said.
I just thought that saying the substitutions were too late was beyond an understatement. The Dalby one was sheer unadulterated madness of the highest order.

I can admit Kev got it very wrong this evening with the subs and squad selection but to doubt his appointment over Brown has never came across my mind. They have inherited the worst squads in the league and have only been in charge for a matter of weeks. If we want to move up the table we need a complete clear out of the dead wood, we will never move up with this current squad they have inherited.

I can say that we have seen a far better and United team under Kev than what we did Brown and I believe with a couple more urgent signings with the quality we have seen brought in with Brunt and Lapota - we will get there.. still a very long way off but we knew that before Kev got the job.

Don’t lose hope Blues, change needs to happen in the squad but change will happen, they just need time.

Loads of appreciation for the 214 loyal shrimpers who made the trip to the paradise that is Grimsby on a Friday night, on TV, after our run of form.. heroes the lot of you.

Now now, no need to be touchy; I didn't miss what you had said.
I just thought that saying the substitutions were too late was beyond an understatement. It was sheer unadulterated madness of the highest order.
Egbri had reasonable time but didn't make anything of it.

Dennis is an odd one .. 5 minutes?

Dalby - 30 seconds? Maybe Kev thought we were 1 up and wanted to waste time. That was a strange one for sure!

I've said this once and I'll keep saying it! Currie should be manager and kev his assistant! Stan and the panel got it the wrong way round

But are they not advising each other in who to play and to what system?
Starting to thing that people like Shrimpet Steve has got more idea than so called qualified coaches!

We have a new management team and more. We cannot expect the winning formula to suddenly materialise out of thin air and we all understand that. My gripe is the continuation of proven failure. Season after season and manager after manager is setting us up to not concede. Season after season and manager after manager has seen us concede. We NEED to score goals! End of. We have to set up to support the striker/s. So many times tonight we failed to move up with the play when going forward.

We know we are going to concede and that means we know we are going to lose. Take the game to the opposition. If we lose we were going to anyway but maybe we might score enough to get a point or all three.

I do not expect miracles from KM, who I support, but I expect to see him do something different from what has continually ended in failure. So much has been done behind the scenes? Well it ain't showing and even PB could have overseen our recent form.

KM needs to break from the norm, do something that puts his mark on the team, and show us why he is the man for the job and not just good at interviews.

White, Demetriou, Dunne and Atkinson need to be binned. Now. Give it to younger, fresher legs. Our youths can do no worse than what is being dished up.

It's not all gloom and doom. There were moments and there are players that will benefit playing alongside some more athletic team mates. We need to be brave, wield the axe on some players and move the team into a more dynamic era. I could not fault the effort but the ability, in certain positions, was the difference between the two sides. That coupled with poor selection, tactics and substitutions.

......I know Dad's Army is not necessarily your fault but don't make it worse by playing them every game!
Was thinking today whilst shopping, i wonder what Will Atkinson does when his career has obviously finished due to age....ask no further, he has got a first team spot against Grimsby tonight......wrong move Kev along with Demi, Dunne, White, these old timers will not win you football matches!
Then we see whinger of all time Murphy up front on his own , substitutions a complete waste of time with minutes to go and it's got me wondering, is this set up any better than the last 4 incompetents?

I’m with you. Kevs substitutions tonight seemed to suggest he was happy to lose 1 nil and I’m sorry club legend or not that is simply not good enough. Personally I’d rather lose 2 nil or 3 nil but go for it. First strike for me!

100% fully behind Kev, Darren, Benno and Stan. They’re not stupid. I’m sure they know as well as we do that this squad is absolute toilet. Can only hope we’re working hard on identifying new recruits and getting them over the dotted line.

Hopefully there will be a time very soon where we won’t have to watch the likes of White, Demetriou, Dunne and Atkinson barely tread water for 90mins.

Getting harder and harder to watch the slow death of our club but I genuinely think we’re right back on track with Stan, Tom, Kev and co. Keep the faith Shrimpers ??
I would be slightly more encouraged if players like Eren Kinali could actually get into squad under the new coaching team. That would send a message to the rest of the squad. If you work hard and do the business on loan and for the under-23s you will be considered at the first-team level. At present, some players are regularly getting into the squad despite performing poorly for the first-team on a consistent basis.

I’m with you. Kevs substitutions tonight seemed to suggest he was happy to lose 1 nil and I’m sorry club legend or not that is simply not good enough. Personally I’d rather lose 2 nil or 3 nil but go for it. First strike for me!
Well if we have took on a manager that picks a team like he played then we are doomed….unfortunately his management tonight was pathetic. Need points, Southend united and he goes nervous Nerys and don’t mention the unbelievable waste of time subs……Stan can love his flowcharts and bully but tonight was so wrong!

Tonight's squad
  • Arnold - Keep
  • Hobson - Not good enough or squad player
  • Lopata - Keep
  • Ferguson - Never in a million years good enough
  • Demetriou - Not good enough especially at Left back
  • White - sadly not good now
  • Dunne - Not good enough
  • Murphy - proven scorer, needs help & chances Keep
  • Brunt - Bright talent Keep
  • Atkinson - not good enough
  • Walsh - squad player

Substitutes​

• Egbri - squad player
  • Phillips - not good enough
  • Sayers - youngsters
  • Dennis - not seen enough of him
  • Dalby - squad player

I can admit Kev got it very wrong this evening with the subs and squad selection but to doubt his appointment over Brown has never came across my mind. They have inherited the worst squads in the league and have only been in charge for a matter of weeks. If we want to move up the table we need a complete clear out of the dead wood, we will never move up with this current squad they have inherited.

I can say that we have seen a far better and United team under Kev than what we did Brown and I believe with a couple more urgent signings with the quality we have seen brought in with Brunt and Lapota - we will get there.. still a very long way off but we knew that before Kev got the job.

Don’t lose hope Blues, change needs to happen in the squad but change will happen, they just need time.

Loads of appreciation for the 214 loyal shrimpers who made the trip to the paradise that is Grimsby on a Friday night, on TV, after our run of form.. heroes the lot of you.
Ok , Phil will never manage as he is completely spent but not great work from our new manager tonight, sure the tea lady would have set them up better?

Back