• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 1-0 Southend United

Tonight's squad
  • Arnold - Keep
  • Hobson - Not good enough or squad player
  • Lopata - Keep
  • Ferguson - Never in a million years good enough
  • Demetriou - Not good enough especially at Left back
  • White - sadly not good now
  • Dunne - Not good enough
  • Murphy - proven scorer, needs help & chances Keep
  • Brunt - Bright talent Keep
  • Atkinson - not good enough
  • Walsh - squad player

Substitutes​

• Egbri - squad player
  • Phillips - not good enough
  • Sayers - youngsters
  • Dennis - not seen enough of him
  • Dalby - squad player
Spot on with al of those……don’t look good!

Time to give some of the young guys a go Kev,they must be wondering what they need to do to get a look in when they watch that shower of ****e , How on earth did Atkinson get a game over the likes of Ferguson,9 WHO IS NO GREAT SHAKES HIMSELF ) but much better than Atkinson.. time to give the likes of Kinali, Benton, and that young lad who has come back from serious injury a chance ,,they have to be better than the dross pulling on our shirt at present.

****ed off but patient. I know things will change ,but in the meantime while we wait ,just give some of the young guys a chance.

Must be holding Ralph back for tuesday night I think the u23s play stoke city in the premier cup this week too ,so maybe that also came into Kev and co thinking when picking the side. But a manager should never resign himself to defeat .Seems like to me reading all the threads he has for this match. I agree the likes of White ,Demi , Dunne, Atkinson , put in Agogo and Ferguson should never be seletced , the y say you cant win anything with kids ,but i would be giving the likes of Kinali, Gard , benton O"Shane - Stewart a run in the firsts, ,they cannot possibly be any worse than what we got out there , definitely be younger ,faster and more enthusiastic .

Talking to Grimsby fans on the way back into Cleethorpes was depressing. The two sensible lot we spoke to said we should have got at least a point and I sodding agree. They did no better than us pretty much throughout the rest of the second half, but their cunning with that first half chance, I agree, and that was all they needed.

No better in the second half and here we are.

Also, Cleethorpes is goodness awful for a night out, never come if you can avoid it.

Kev your not going to win anything with the likes of White , Demi ,Atkinson, Ferguson , and Dunne in the side, Time to look at some of the Youngsters like Kinali who knows where the back of the onion bag is , Gard who will give you 110%, Benton another that can score, Oshane Stewart, im told the best young talent at our club, .You need to get in a decent RB and DM asap ..Im sure you know this, but in the meantime give some of the u23s a run, Keep teir interest up,let them know you believe in them .

Dimi, White, Dunne, Atkinson, Ferguson all shouldn’t be starting it’s half the side and they’re all well below what is required

I did not watch the game on tv so I cannot really comment on the quality (or lack of it) of our performance.
For any committed supporter watching dross either on tv or for real is bad for the blood pressure and I understand the hyperventilation exhibited by many following the result.
My only comment would be that in the great scheme of things losing 1-0 away to Grimsby is not an event defining result. Even a better team than us might go there and lose by a goal.
If we are to be relegated it will not be because we just lost away to a mid table team. What will sink us are results like losing 2-0 at home to Woking and 4-0 to Chesterfield.
Until we become difficult to beat at home and start rack up a few points at the Hall I doubt whether we can expect much joy from games like last night's.
As has already been noted Tuesday looms as an important fixture.
Although since the new team took over results have not been all we might wish it cannot be denied (I think!) that the addition of Brunt and Lopata has been a big plus and they deserve credit for that. I suspect that results would have been even worse had they not been brought in.
UTB and we better win on Tuesday!

Listened on the radio from where it seemed incredibly frustrating (when isn't it?) that we can seem to have so much of the ball, get forward with some good runs but the final delivery or interplay rarely, if ever, leads to a shot or attempt on goal. It seems that the HAHA (Hit and Hope Attack) ball is back in fashion after having been completely omitted from the first half against Dover, (and what a difference that made in that game). The line up was strange and if you're going to sub, it has to be with 20-30 minutes left. It's not hard to tell, with this squad, who's **** on the night after ten minutes. No naming names but it sounded to me as if only four of our players put in the type of performance we need. We had 92 minutes to manufacture a serious threat after their goal but apart from a Brunt effort, t felt like all we made was hard work of it. Should have had something. Disappointing. Roll on Tuesday!

I did not watch the game on tv so I cannot really comment on the quality (or lack of it) of our performance.
For any committed supporter watching dross either on tv or for real is bad for the blood pressure and I understand the hyperventilation exhibited by many following the result.
My only comment would be that in the great scheme of things losing 1-0 away to Grimsby is not an event defining result. Even a better team than us might go there and lose by a goal.
If we are to be relegated it will not be because we just lost away to a mid table team. What will sink us are results like losing 2-0 at home to Woking and 4-0 to Chesterfield.
Until we become difficult to beat at home and start rack up a few points at the Hall I doubt whether we can expect much joy from games like last night's.
As has already been noted Tuesday looms as an important fixture.
Although since the new team took over results have not been all we might wish it cannot be denied (I think!) that the addition of Brunt and Lopata has been a big plus and they deserve credit for that. I suspect that results would have been even worse had they not been brought in.
UTB and we better win on Tuesday!
For those that didn’t watch the game 1-0 looks on paper like a good result. The truth is Grimsby scored after 2 minutes and did nothing else after that. We set up not to lose, conceded early and failed to change anything. Is our tactic now just not lose by many to keep the players ‘confidence’ going? I get that we need to start things tight with the squad that we have, but surely when you go a goal down something needs to change.

No creativity
No flair
No urgency
Keep giving the ball away
Murphy keeps moaning and diving
Embarrassing

Poor players

Poor selection

Poor substitutions

As bad off the field as we were on the field

When will this end as we are going downhill faster than an Olympic skier
The same approach to substitutions this week as last week. Too late. We were losing and they were made on 85 mins and with 15 seconds of playing time left... Maher showed his inexperience again.

One moment made me smile. Arnold tried to chip their forward, a pass to JW nearly caused a goal as it hit him......The reason John white passed it back to him, then was to/slow/old/lazy to make himself available by moving into space for the return pass, So Arnold tries to chip the forward..... classic

The same approach to substitutions this week as last week. Too late. We were losing and they were made on 85 mins and with 15 seconds of playing time left... Maher showed his inexperience again.
I don't think we were ever set up to win the game, with 7/8 defenders on the pitch. It seems we are all about not losing by much atm. Starting with just 1 forward and leaving it so late to make any changes makes no sense to me. The opposition from the start can see that.

Played some really good football, but I'd go as far as saying 7 of the starting 11 aren't good enough for this level.

We NEED signings across all positions (excluding GK unless we can find a decent number 2)

Complete faith in the coaching staff and SC but the dead recruitment from previous managers is still killing us.

WE NEED A CLEAR OUT!

Everyone crying about the Dalby sub.. He has had 90 mins all season long and hardly made an impact. His awful penalty brushed under the carpet... If you look at the "switch it up" subs made in the recent games, it's a common theme already. Not a bad result against high flying Grimsby, can only dream of those dizzy heights in 3 seasons time.

Much the same as Woking

We’re huffing and puffing. You can’t question the commitment but we’re crap. The players are crap.

The opposition again where also pretty crap but they had a bit more legs about them

Everyone crying about the Dalby sub.. He has had 90 mins all season long and hardly made an impact. His awful penalty brushed under the carpet... If you look at the "switch it up" subs made in the recent games, it's a common theme already. Not a bad result against high flying Grimsby, can only dream of those dizzy heights in 3 seasons time.
I don't think it is about Dalby personally. It is more about the fact we look to not lose by to many goals rather than plan to attack the opposition. We worry to much about them instead of them worrying about us.
That being said we do not really have much to offer on any part of the pitch atm so what team is going to be worried about us? I don't see that much change in the set up playing/ style wise than before Kev was here.

We need drastic change and the sooner the better otherwise it will be 3 relegations on the trot. Personally I don't think we will go down but paying fans want to see something different out there on the pitch and not have to face losing game after game week after week with the same old players.

Back