• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rhys Murphy

The only reason Murphy has been carrying on with the 'antics' is because we create absolutely zero. He's frustrated, he tries to win us a free kick in a dangerous position because he knows he may as well try, there's nothing else coming.

Fans will always want something to moan about but the guy scores goals, we'd be cut well adrift if it wasn't for him.

Exactly. Take him & his goals out of the equation & we’d be well in the mire- more so than we are already.

We’ve been crying out for a out & out goal scorer, now we have one people still have a moan cos he does this or doesn’t do that.

The guy is 31 & he’s not going to change his style of play now, Rhys has banged in 1 goal every in 2 games in recent seasons which is an enviable feat. We’re lucky to have him in my view

Keep it up Murph, you have my vote.?

Murphy was brought to the club to score goals and he is doing that, he's the type of poacher that keeps it simple. His instinct is to stay in the box between the posts because that's where you are most likely to score a goal.

I actually think he might not be as good an all round footballer as someone like Goodship was, but he does the important basic thing of being where he needs to be to score a goal.

I think we are learning to accept his ugly side and 8 goals in 17 is pretty good going. With 27 games to go if he managed to play in each of those, and kept up his current form , he could easily end up with 22/23 goals and become a new legend, given our past years of striker performance
Think legend might be stretching it. We don't talk about Martin Carruthers as a legend and he actually got 20 goals in the league above this

I did mean Carruthers, thought he got 20 but wiki is telling me 19
View attachment 17825

I agree its a bit of a stretch to use the word legend for Murph, however in context if no one has scored 20 goals for us in over 15 years, Murph knocking in more than that would at least be very exceptional

Corr is the highest in the last 14 years with 18 goals and 15 years ago i think Freddie got 23 !!

I agree its a bit of a stretch to use the word legend for Murph, however in context if no one has scored 20 goals for us in over 15 years, Murph knocking in more than that would at least be very exceptional

Corr is the highest in the last 14 years with 18 goals and 15 years ago i think Freddie got 23 !!
I think Constantine would have been the first to 20 goals in nearly 15 years as well as I think Angell would have been the last before him.

Funny how such a high goalscorer like constantine isnt revered as a legend. I barely think of him in the context of our history. Is it just a personality/cut of their jib thing? Or a general feeling that we didnt really like the whole regime and squad at the time?

Funny how such a high goalscorer like constantine isnt revered as a legend. I barely think of him in the context of our history. Is it just a personality/cut of their jib thing? Or a general feeling that we didnt really like the whole regime and squad at the time?
I think it’s several factors. One of which would be that he was here only one year so we simply have fewer memories of him. Another would be that gates were lower so fewer saw him (our attendances may have doubled over the next 3 years). Another is the manner of his departure with him seemingly bolting at the first opportunity. Then there’s the fact that his replacement was wildly more successful than him. But it won’t have helped that he was a bit of a lazy player who offered little other than his goals (although the wholehearted Martin Carruthers is largely a footnote too).

I think it’s several factors. One of which would be that he was here only one year so we simply have fewer memories of him. Another would be that gates were lower so fewer saw him (our attendances may have doubled over the next 3 years). Another is the manner of his departure with him seemingly bolting at the first opportunity. Then there’s the fact that his replacement was wildly more successful than him. But it won’t have helped that he was a bit of a lazy player who offered little other than his goals (although the wholehearted Martin Carruthers is largely a footnote too).
I didn't really notice his laziness, perhaps because he was playing along side Drewe Broughton who was the laziest player I've seen. To be fair to Constantine i'm not surprised he left after this:

“We started to talk, they said I had done well but then offered me less than Drewe Broughton was originally on and I just felt as though I deserved more than that, “said Constantine

Brett Angell scored 21 league goals in season 91-92, so Carruthers in 99-00 would have been 8 seasons later with his 19. Constantine in 03-04 would have been 12 years later. Still a big enough gap....

He is an absolutely irritating player for opposition defenders to cope with. He's like an angry wasp, but he scores goals and I'd rather he did it for us than someone else. I hate to say this, but well done Phil Brown for getting him in, and Dalby for that matter. On the Altrincham Fans board they were whinging about his antics and also admitted that they would love to have him in their team. So I'll put up with his diving and whinging at the ref as long as he keeps finding the net.
I think im on your ship with this view RHB. Im pleased we have a striker that other teams hate to play against. Reminds me of Morrison at milwall when he played. Murphy can be frustrating to watch with the diving and moaning but its a reasonable trade off for the aggro he causes the opposition 9and the ref) and I dont mind if he claims the odd one thats dubious in respect of his involvement. Stats create confidence in the player and fear in the opposition. Hes not the biggest and uses his other attributes well.

Back