• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won’t get an better chance to play in front of massive away fans, which is more than their home crowds, if we was in top 7 this season, our last 5 home games would easily get over 8k.

Without a doubt you do get great support from the fans, but uppermost in most players minds will be contract length, salary amount and the reliability of that salary being paid. On top of this location is a big factor if they need to relocate their family etc.

I'm gonna go against the grain here in regards to Michael cheek..... yes he scored loads of goals at this level but so did Murphy and he only played half the season. Would prefer sufc to sign younger with potential to sell on down the line. Cheek can stay at Bromley.

I'm gonna go against the grain here in regards to Michael cheek..... yes he scored loads of goals at this level but so did Murphy and he only played half the season. Would prefer sufc to sign younger with potential to sell on down the line. Cheek can stay at Bromley.
Total goals in the National League 45 compared to 114. For the record Michael has scored 21 at present this season.

We've signed plenty of younger talents to sell on down the line and this is the management team's preferred direction, but they also know that the young talent should be peppered with more experienced heads. Why on earth anybody would turn down a player with Michael Cheek's record is absolutely beyond me. Record goalscorer at this level and over 20 in all comps this season. Name me a player we currently have or might be interested in who has a proven record like that at this level. Please don't say Murphy because their records are completely incomparable. Still has a couple of years in him too I'm sure. I would hope we're at least interested.

We've signed plenty of younger talents to sell on down the line and this is the management team's preferred direction, but they also know that the young talent should be peppered with more experienced heads. Why on earth anybody would turn down a player with Michael Cheek's record is absolutely beyond me. Record goalscorer at this level (a much better record than Murphy's) and over 20 in all comps this season. Name me a player we currently have or might be interested in who has a proven record like that at this level. Still has a couple of years in him too I'm sure. I would hope we're at least interested.
I don't think anyone can deny he'd be a great signing, just whether the budget should be spent on another player in that position when for me a dominant midfielder and centre half are far more important.

Not that I wouldn't be delighted to see Cheek holding a scarf aloft in a gurning photo on the OS, just that I'm really not sure our finances will stretch too far this summer.

I think we can sign other players from within the division - not just from the division below.

As Mr Mouse says there are a number of reasons why playing for Southend United would be desirable.

In addition, having Stan - an ex-England international (who has played for some top teams in this country) and has a reputation for exciting play & goals - come and talk to a player would be a very big thing if it were me.

Of course we can sign players from the same division but for to many seasons we have just swapped like for like each summer......Even paying players off and often risky signings at far to higher cost......the fact that many want to bin Murphy is a good example.

We are still having nightmares paying basic bills. The best players at other NL clubs will be in demand. They can demand higher wages and aim for the EFL. Agents don't care about Stan or how many away fans we have...

We've signed plenty of younger talents to sell on down the line and this is the management team's preferred direction, but they also know that the young talent should be peppered with more experienced heads. Why on earth anybody would turn down a player with Michael Cheek's record is absolutely beyond me. Record goalscorer at this level and over 20 in all comps this season. Name me a player we currently have or might be interested in who has a proven record like that at this level. Please don't say Murphy because their records are completely incomparable. Still has a couple of years in him too I'm sure. I would hope we're at least interested.
No doubt cheek knows where the back of the net is but we do have Murphy who is just as good in my opinion (admittedly slightly injury prone) with cheek turning 31 this season, I'm sure he would want atleast 3 year deal with sizeable wage. Is cheek worth that investment now? I'm not so sure he is. Personally I would sign younger striker who got potential to go onto bigger and better things. I do understand the clammer to sign cheek due to his goalscoring record in the national league.

How are we going to poach players from Stockport or Wrexham?

Even the likes of Bush or Cheek a Bromley can aim higher that us if that want a move. Its going to be NLS and below for poaching and just like the lads signed after Christmas they will be a work in progress.

Its the quality of the loans that will decide where we finish next season. The good news is that loans were overall a success, so lets use that to push on.
Have to agree with Rigsby because that’s how it’s going to be for a while I’m afraid until we have enough depth and strength not to rely on them anymore.

We are literally starting again from scratch and just because we do pull in some decent crowds doesn’t make us anymore attractive to someone.

I think that if we are doing ok mid way through next season and looking like we’ve got our **** together we might start to appear as a decent future prospect and not a gamble to anyone half decent.

Of course we can sign players from the same division but for to many seasons we have just swapped like for like each summer......Even paying players off and often risky signings at far to higher cost......the fact that many want to bin Murphy is a good example.

We are still having nightmares paying basic bills. The best players at other NL clubs will be in demand. They can demand higher wages and aim for the EFL. Agents don't care about Stan or how many away fans we have...
I like Murphy, he real pest in the final third with decent goalscoring record in the National league, just hope he stays fit throughout next season. Personally i would like to see Cardwell and Murphy leading the line next season.

Have to agree with Rigsby because that’s how it’s going to be for a while I’m afraid until we have enough depth and strength not to rely on them anymore.

We are literally starting again from scratch and just because we do pull in some decent crowds doesn’t make us anymore attractive to someone.

I think that if we are doing ok mid way through next season and looking like we’ve got our **** together we might start to appear as a decent future prospect and not a gamble to anyone half decent.
I agree we might have to rely on decent loanees for a while, certainly in this league

However not sure we are necessarily starting from scratch with the likes of Arnold, Clifford, Ndi, Hobson, Ralph, Kensdale ?Davies, Wood, Bridge, possibly Gard, Benson?, Husin, Powell Murphy, Dalby and Cardwell

It seems that 16 wouldnt be a bad basis of a core squad and thats without Rush, Akinola or Demetriou

Would be happy to pluck a couple of Sheffield Uniteds fringe players again, plus get the likes of Murphy fit again. Definitely need another couple of defenders and a midfield general then I think we can really challenge.

Clifford with a good pre season behind him could be invaluable but my worry if that's he's another Ralph, who'll only give us a few games per season due to injuries.

Would be happy to pluck a couple of Sheffield Uniteds fringe players again, plus get the likes of Murphy fit again. Definitely need another couple of defenders and a midfield general then I think we can really challenge.

Clifford with a good pre season behind him could be invaluable but my worry if that's he's another Ralph, who'll only give us a few games per season due to injuries.
31 games season just finished. Just saying!

What do people of think of Scott Cuthbert born leader at the back with bags of experience played loads of games this season just under 40 in league 2 was rated very highly there at Stevenage fans there are gutted to him go. After it was announced recently he’s been let go maybe a good option on a free transfer for a year deal.

What do people of think of Scott Cuthbert born leader at the back with bags of experience played loads of games this season just under 40 in league 2 was rated very highly there at Stevenage fans there are gutted to him go. After it was announced recently he’s been let go maybe a good option on a free transfer for a year deal.
34, does he fit the age profile? Just an observation.

34, does he fit the age profile? Just an observation.
I get that totally as we need players in the mid age range of 24/28 . Just thinking for some experience and leadership added to backline especially if white goes which looks likely and maybe Demetriou unless he can push on for one last season .

I don't think anyone can deny he'd be a great signing, just whether the budget should be spent on another player in that position when for me a dominant midfielder and centre half are far more important.

Not that I wouldn't be delighted to see Cheek holding a scarf aloft in a gurning photo on the OS, just that I'm really not sure our finances will stretch too far this summer.
Almost anyone can be a good signing at the right price!
Cheek is a proven prolific goalscorer at this level, and, if he was to be available, he would have to be looked at.
But, as with any player, there are always considerations.
He will not come cheap.
Can we afford him?
If we can afford him can we afford to give up what we might be able to sign if we did not spend that chunk of the budget on him?
How highly rated is he in the minds of the people at presently in charge?
Because most of us posting on here have no idea of the total budget available to sign players or how much individual players are paid it is easy to spout nonsense.
My instincts would be that it might not be cost effective to have both Cheek and Murphy on the books (I am guessing that Murphy cannot come cheap).
Your highest paid players should feature regularly on the team sheet but I guess that is called management.
At any level of the game the players costing you the most should not be signed without a great deal of thought.

A proven, experienced goal scorer will take up a fair bit of the budget but perhaps an essential hit to take, if we’re to push for a play off position. A 15-20 goal a season man could be the difference between finishing 12th and 7th. We of course still have to create chances for this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back