• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

What can you say! I was one of the 9% who predicted this result, the recruitment has been poor, the manager is poor and so is the whole backroom staff set up (we don't need all these people), too many Chief's, I've been saying it since halfway through last season.

I'm all for signing young hungry players, but look at the teams that get promoted out of this League, they all sign experienced players as well, to get the ballance right. We've just signed cheap players who have no experience at this level at all.

I fear a tough season ahead, I wouldn't expect too much this season because you'll be disappointed.
As you say we sign cheap players and Stan collymore did say who we sign would depend on the budget and it showed today

Quite right, I’ve been supporting the blues now for over 56 years .
My head now rules me not my heart.
It wasn’t rocket science seeing today’s result coming.
Yeah I could see today’s result coming but I also see us figuring things in the medium term. The balance isn’t there right now but Miley played well and looks a good addition. Fonguck looks to have something about him. Taylor looks a really good signing: probably not a starter but as a utility player who can cover all over the park (and add some height in doing so) - you need players like that in the squad to give you depth. Mooney was poor but I think he’ll figure it out/Maher will figure out how to use him.

We still haven’t seen Gus Scott-Morriss and Lomas isn’t fully fit yet.

My money is on a slow start but us figuring it out one way or another by October.

Worrying performance, frustrating result.

I'll start with the performance which for me was worrying for a few reasons. To start with, I'm disappointed that it's taken until mid way through the second half to have a shot on target. Until then we played all of our football in front of them and made it easy for them to defend. They played a similar formation to us and showed how effective it can be with their goal whereby their RWB has got behind Clifford (not for the first time either) in to the space and put the ball on a plate for their striker. We tried to do something similar a handful of times but overhit the pass every single time. I said at half time that the two wingers were playing too wide. In a system like this with wing backs who naturally start higher up the pitch and two wingers who are have opposite strong feet to the side they are on.. I can only assume the game plan is to have them sit narrow with the wing backs overlapping them.. instead what we saw, especially in the second half was the LCB overlapping Clifford and Powell spending to much time standing on Mooney's toes. It's a system that we've worked on and used during pre season but at times today, it looked like we didn't have a clue what to do.

The game become stretched after the first red card and we got control of the ball more but we failed to do anything really with it. Slow passes from side to side were allowing them to keep a solid line and they managed to keep us at arms length. It got even worse when they went down to 9 men, we looked like a team lacking any sort of quality to break them down and we really struggled to get in to any goal scoring opportunities on a regular basis, something you'd expect to be able to do what with an extra two players on the pitch. Very poor indeed.

All that being said, we could have very easily come away with a point or even three if it weren't for two worldie saves from their keeper. The one from the Wreh header especially was top class. That's why I'd say this result is more frustrating than worrying.

Now for the "bitter" complaining about the opposition today. Pub team tactics deployed by a pub team. The time wasting was unlike anything I've seen before and it started pretty much as soon as they scored. The constant fouling.. some of which were warrant more than just a telling off from the referee. The two red cards were deserved. The game was allowed to become incredibly stop, start by the fact the referee who even by National League level was abysmal was allowing them to receive treatment every time a player stayed on the floor for longer than a couple of seconds. Weak refereeing and a way of playing you'd expect to find on Hackney Marshes tomorrow morning meant we couldn't really get the game to flow.

A final word on the opposition, I've seen a few suggest we shouldn't be disappointed losing to these because they'll be up there come end of the season. I couldn't disagree more. If that's the only way of playing, that won't get them far. As I've already said, for as solid as they were and as bad as we were, we could have easily come away from that with a point or even all three.

No doubt though, we need to improve a great deal ahead of a difficult away trip next weekend. We could also do with one or two new faces before then as well.. especially up top after the withdrawal of Jake Hyde so early on (was anyone really shocked?).

Woeful first half, lack of ideas no creativity and needed to move the ball around a lot quicker. Second half was better, with the change of formation, at least we had a shot . Powell offered a lot more then Bridge and brought some pace and directness to the game. We were worth a point, but going to struggle against the better teams
As far as I can see most sides in this horrible division have at least two giants in defence and until we can compete with that we will have problems in scoring goals. We look lightweight again.

The tall back three in the BW line up just had an afternoon of heading practice. We have seen this so many times over the last few seasons. We look so lightweight and we're bullied out of this game. Hopefully the players missing through injury and suspension will perform better than what we saw today.

Have a watch of Bodyline. It's cricket not football but tells the story of the English and their targetting of the Aussies bodies during the ashes. England won the ashes 4-1 but lost the respect of the whole world

If you'd choose glory over respect, then good luck to you
I’ve seen it, and giving the Aussies a good working over won us the Ashes. I would gladly take the National League equivalent. There are no style points at any level of football. If you want entertainment, go to the circus.

Sadly predictable over reaction from some on here.

First half admittedly woeful, but much improved second and might have snatched a draw against one of the division’s ‘better’ sides.

Possibly one of the dirtiest sides I’ve have ever seen at the hall - is this really what we have allowed football to become?

Wreh had a poor game for me, dreadful first touch, but the other new signings showed promise.

We won our first game last season, and look where that got us.

Not much to add to what has already been said - a frustrating afternoon against a bullying and cheating side that conned the ref repeatedly. Nevertheless we have to beat what is in front of us and have to have a plan B.

The first half was insipid and although we had a few corners we didn’t have a shot on target. I thought Bridge, Husin and Clifford in particular were way off the pace and it’s no surprise that the goal came down our left hand flank.

Powell was brighter in the second half and at least tries to make things happen, but he so often lacks the end product and is a bit greedy, often shooting when passing would be a better option.

I’m not sure why we persisted with the same formation - especially after the first sending off. We could have switched to a back 4 at half time and moved Ralph to LB, taking Clifford off for Powell even.

Of the new players I thought Miley was excellent and Taylor looked decent as well. I was expecting greater things from Mooney though, and Wreh is more this season’s Matt Rush than the answer to all our attacking deficiencies.

Still, it was good to be back and just as last season’s winning start didn’t define our season, neither will today’s losing one (I hope).

We have Lomas and JD to come back as options soon, and hopefully Scott-Morriss and Murphy not too far behind them and it must be abundantly clear to the hierarchy that a striker must be signed this week, presumably on loan.

Frustrating afternoon, don't think it's as doom and gloom as being made out, the ref and bBW killed it unfortunately, anytime we got some sort of rhythm going done they'd go waste a bit of time and regroup. Clifford had some space out wide and had a few chances to get some crosses in, but personally I'd rather see him drill them across rather than go high as there keeper and defenders would always win it. Il reserve judgment for a few games as we've only played 1. If this was a game half way through the season and we were sitting top half I don't think would be as much of an issue, just put it down to bad ref and poor team but these games happen in a season, just feels worse as it's the 1st

Am I the only one not enamoured with Powell?
Definitely not. Still trying too hard to impress but without the end result. Needs to remember that an assist is just as important as getting the goal. Especially when you can’t shoot…

Miley the only player today who came out of the match with his reputation unblemished.lacking in any idea how to break down a well organised defence. No width or creativity down the right hand side. Lots of keep ball but no penetration and no cutting edge up front . That’s 5 losses in a row but don’t worry we have to believe in the project !
Ps whoever signed off the Jake Hyde loan should hang their head in shame ....

Last edited:
I’ve seen it, and giving the Aussies a good working over won us the Ashes. I would gladly take the National League equivalent. There are no style points at any level of football. If you want entertainment, go to the circus.
I'll continue with my integrity intact

If you want the team you support to feign injury, to con the ref, to make tackles to try and injure the opposition, you'd best go support Borehamwood.

It's not for me though

Last edited:
This….

1st game of the season, it wasn’t pretty in fact it was as dull as dish water. But they weren’t anything and will be up there at the end of the season. They had 1 shot, their keeper made 2 very good saves and Steeeve had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out the net once.

I reckon the team in around 10 games time will have at 3 maybe 4 different players from the one that started today…things will settle down in a few weeks, no need for the doom and gloom yet …..Liverpool only just drew with Fulham earlier ….does that mean they are in for a season of struggle ?? I dont think so
Luv it!
Liverpool? That's us! Only need another 15 world class players - and watch out Anfield.
As we speak, Mo Salah's been added to the white board. Actually, who needs him when we've got Harry and Murph on the way back?

Think it's a bit early to say that, Boreham Wood are dirty but they know how to keep clean sheets (they had the 3rd best defence last season) so it was always going to be a tough game to bed players in for. We looked uninspired (and we definitely need another striker and either a CB or a defensive mid) but there are a lot of new faces and they'll need time to gel.

I've said it before and been told off for being pessimistic but this is a development season, it's going to take time for the younger players to get up to speed and we probably aren't going up this season, what matters is if we're building towards it for next season.
Great post and spot on

First half was abject all over, enough said.
2nd half much better in that we kept the ball on the deck and moved it a bit quicker.
Something that struck me this afternoon was how the team looked lightweight and I dont mean soft play etc, to look at we look a bit skinny and feeble in general. ?The reality of this league is that bruisers and bashers are very necessary, Borham barely bothered us from a footballing point of view yet took all the points.
Never one to go nuts after the first game of the season but a few things bothered me today.
Mooney looked like a floater out there, didnt seem to 'want it' looked like he lacked some bollox out there. For contrast look how Powell came on and demended the ball, was desperate to at least try and take the game to the opposition, Mooney just kind of drifted around a bit.
Our real driving force going forward was Hobson...yes that Hobson he was constantly carrying the ball and probing, would have liked our midfielders to have tried that somewhat.
Powell was a welcome introduction of energy and attacking intent (zero end product unfortunately)
Wreh........Looked out of his depth
Obvious early observations, need a big bast!"d CB to dominate, need a forward who can hold up play, stretch the line, work hard etc oh and who isnt injured.

A rude wake up for the team and us. 1st half was all honours to Boreham including the lessons in GBH. The team looks as if it has some half decent players but certainly for the first 45 there wasn't much evidence of a team that knew each other!

2nd half was better, and at least we started to compete in the middle but with no real centre forward on view it was a difficult ask for the players to score goals, basically because they didn't appear to want too. Probably that was down to the lack of confidence generated in the first half.

For all those doomsayers on here, we will get better as more games come along and for those that think it was as bad as the start of last season, well, in my view it wasn't. Teething problems with a new group of players will not become apparent until we kick a ball in league anger and no doubt Kev and co will take today's lesson on board and work towards making it better.

Anyone that thinks this squad is just going to turn up and do well instantly needs to give their head a wobble, and those that think we are dead and buried again should wobble theirs even more. We will need a new big man up front, probably on loan, and we could also do with a new left wing back before Tom Clifford loses his confidence and the form he sort of has at the moment.

On today's performance, I though Hobson had a very solid game as did Miley , but Mooney didn't rock my boat, although he did look as if he was either injured or not match fit. I also felt a bit sorry for Powell as he came on intent on saving the world but his final actions still need a bit more measured thinking.

We will get better, but we are work in progress so we will need patience. Disappointed but not down hearted is what I feel at the moment. As a final comment, Mrs RHB washed and wiped our seats thoroughly as she is want to do at the start of the season. The trouble was that they are shiny plastic and don't air dry. Therefore I had a wet arse for most of the first half. It's a tough old life at times.

Didn’t see any positives today, played the same way as brown did.
We lacked ideas, we lacked pace in moving the ball. We looked unfit.
Formation is wrong, let’s play 4-4-2 keep it simple. Their CB’s had it easy marking 1 player.
We never tested their keeper.
It maybe 1st game but we shouldn’t be losing to teams like Boreham wood who had 10 players for 20 mins. We need lopata and a forward or this will be another season of struggle.
We never tested their keeper. He was their mom

Actually with Hyde it was very strange…he didn’t go down,he didn’t suddenly pull up, he didn’t hold anything, just signalled to the bench and just started walking off from the Rose stand towards Midpro
(😉) while the game was going on around him…almost like he had enough and was walking off …I
Not true. He closed down a clearance as he did a few times during the time he was on. As soon as he made the block he grabbed his hamstring and indicated he needed to come off

Back