• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

So who’s to blame
The three Amigos, Stan and his contact book of 1000s of players, John Still and his scouting team or the tried and tested RM get your cheque book out
Judge the team after 10 games not one
I've been watching and judging the team all pre-season. Our 2nd half performance vs Gills and overall performance vs Palace were huge warning signs for what happened today.

My wife shielding, the sudden death of my best mate and match day partner of the last 24 years and dropping out of the league all added up to me missing last season completely for the first time in 54 years of supporting the boys.
My overwhelming reaction walking out today was shock at how far we have fallen. But I took my grandson to his first game and he's keen to go again, so hopefully it will be the start of a new era.
Despite the flat performance it was great to be inside the Hall again and see so many familiar faces sticking with the team, come what may. See you all at the next game.

I absolutely hate this formation. I hate it even more when we don't have the personnel to play it.

How we can keep starting games with one striker, particularly at home is beyond me.

Powell was decent pre season = benched
Fonguck decent pre season =benched

I have a strong suspicion Hyde will not ever play for us again. It seemed innocuous and he didn't even try to run it off. Send him back to wrexham and sign a few loans.

Boreham Wood were dreadful and ended up with 9 men. They literally played for a draw, put together the only bit of quality in the game and then proceeded to fall over and fein injury at every opportunity. In truth, we could have been out there all week an not scored.

The intensity, line up and game plan was all wrong today and made a mug of nearly 6k paying fans.

That was dire.

Whilst it was a poor performance - I thought we were worth a point.

The save from Wreh header was superb - I was out of my seat just waiting for the net to bulge. He also made a second good save and we had the Powell free kick go just wide.
Wreh should have scored. Free header 6 yards out and he put it a foot from the keeper at a perfect height.

Arnold 7 had nothing to do all game
Hobson 7 does look very scared of the ball but was probably one of the better players second half
Kensdale 7 nothing special really
Ralph 6 didn't seem to get involved at all.
Taylor 7 definitely not a RWB but looks steady
Clifford 5 definitely at fault for the goal. Needs to improve defensively
Miley 8 probably man of the match. Made some good tackles and seemed confident on the ball
Noor 5 not his usual self at all. Didn't notice him at all
Mooney 6 was expecting so much and got so little
Wreh 6 can't play up top on his own but then again who can?
Hyde -1 not sure what to say for him 🤒
Powell 7 - came on and changed the game for me. Looked sharp
Fonguck 6 didn't see too much looks like he wants to get on the ball

The formation doesn’t work with defensive minded wing backs. Noor was in a holding role alongside Miley first half and it led to us having nothing going forwards.

Second half much better with 2 playing more central and Mooney in behind + Noor further up field.

Had Hyde stayed on, and had we had the shape in the second half, I think we would have won that. Wreh looks more like a last 10 minutes player than a starter l (or as good as) to me.

Quite right, I’ve been supporting the blues now for over 56 years .
My head now rules me not my heart.
It wasn’t rocket science seeing today’s result coming.
I'd love to think we're going to come on leaps and bounds from last year etc. etc. but my head was always telling me today was going to be rough.

I absolutely hate this formation. I hate it even more when we don't have the personnel to play it.

How we can keep starting games with one striker, particularly at home is beyond me.

Powell was decent pre season = benched
Fonguck decent pre season =benched

I have a strong suspicion Hyde will not ever play for us again. It seemed innocuous and he didn't even try to run it off. Send him back to wrexham and sign a few loans.

Boreham Wood were dreadful and ended up with 9 men. They literally played for a draw, put together the only bit of quality in the game and then proceeded to fall over and fein injury at every opportunity. In truth, we could have been out there all week an not scored.

The intensity, line up and game plan was all wrong today and made a mug of nearly 6k paying fans.

That was dire.
I fear you might be correct.

Told you all so, I did said playing Taylor as RWB is suicidal, especially Clifford is going backward without improving himself as a player. First things we need is an new LWB and a forward.

I'd love to think we're going to come on leaps and bounds from last year etc. etc. but my head was always telling me today was going to be rough.
I personally think we will improve, but any thoughts of promotion this season just ain’t going to happen.

Ok well some slight overreactions, in my view. Defensively we look weak though I thought Hobson was solid and brought the ball out well. Their goal was predictable and preventable. Too easy for them.

One up top isn’t working, neither is trying to play through the middle as there’s no Dalby to hold the ball up and flick it on. Ball wasn’t sent wide enough quick enough, not put in the box enough, not enough long range “chance” shots and set pieces not used well enough. We badly need reinforcements in defence and up top. Otherwise we knocked it about well at times ..

Hyde looked the part didn’t he? I said to my son after about 5 mins “he’s limping” and sure enough .. 🙈

Good to be back at the Hall but the same story as last season, bullied and outthought by a more physical, athletic team who didn’t look worried even with 9 men. Lots to work on ..

Woeful first half, lack of ideas no creativity and needed to move the ball around a lot quicker. Second half was better, with the change of formation, at least we had a shot . Powell offered a lot more then Bridge and brought some pace and directness to the game. We were worth a point, but going to struggle against the better teams

We weren't that bad. Much better second half than first. We played some good football, but lacked a cutting edge at some crucial moments.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Bridge. He looked a shadow the player he was at times last season. Powell was much better. He was unlucky to be left out of the starting eleven, given the pre-season he had. He's not JCR Mk 2. He dribbled beautifully inside the box only to shoot over. If he keeps that going the goals will go in. His free kick was decent and he won us corners. Mooney was definitely playing deeper than in pre-season and looked less effective for it. The Hyde injury was certainly a mystery. It does make you wonder whether there's something more to it.

Miley was my man of the match - strong tackling and passing and willing to have a dig. Taylor was my runner-up. He isn't a natural wide player, though, and taking on his man doesn't seem to be part of his game. That limited what he did, to an extent.

We defended well apart from the goal. I thought all three CBs brought the ball out well and Hobbo, in particular, had a good game.

As has been said, Wood are horrible but effective.

It hasn't taken long for the doom-mongers/nay-sayers on here to gather like buzzards on the corpse of a dying man in the Nevada desert. 'Kev out!' 'We're going down!' 'The new signings are all rubbish!' I wish I could have such a good time being miserable - it's a real talent.

Back