• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

I am with OvO and pay by DD for both my gas & Electric.
A month back they asked me if I wanted to fix my monthly debit which had doubled and I declined.
Today I had an email from them saying they have to increase my monthly debit by and extra £22 to what I am paying at the moment.
TBH I am happy with that and glad now I did not take them up on their offer to go on fix.
Please check people
Remember your direct debit amount is not necessarily your bill amount - infact it almost certainly won't be, you'll either pay too much or too little relative to the energy you've used.

Best to look at your bill and get the actual annual usage units (not the projected) and then use that and the unit cost, current and projected to work out actual amount you might be on the hook for.

The Spanish Government announced in the week that. VAT prices on energy bills would be cut from the existing rate of 21% to 5%.Expect something similar from the incoming PM soon.

The Spanish Government announced in the week that. VAT prices on energy bills would be cut from the existing rate of 21% to 5%.Expect something similar from the incoming PM soon.

As Rob pointed out above, we already pay 5% VAT on our energy bills. From what I can work out, we've been paying that in the UK sinse 1997.

21% seems extremely high, but, we've already done that and got the T shirt. Spain may notice the reduction in energy bills with a VAT reduction of 16% but a better plan is needed in the UK.

Last edited:
As Rob pointed out above, we already pay 5% VAT on our energy bills. From what I can work out, we've been paying that in the UK sinse 1997.

21% seems extremely high, but, we've already done that and got the T shirt. Spain may notice the reduction in energy bills with a VAT reduction of 16% but a better plan is needed in the UK.
Thanks for this.I hadn't noted Rob's post.Nor did I mention Spain's subsidized public tranport (following Germany's eg*).FWIW ,I'd expect an announcement soon in the UK,concerning cheaper fuel rebates for OAP's + targeted support for those on income support.

*free for regular users and pensioners like me plus substantial reductions for occasional users.(I'm remiinded of when I did my "gap year" on Eastern National buses in SOS.we always used to call pensioneras with their free bus passes "twerlies" ie= are we too nearly to use the pass? which kicked in at 10AM. :Smile:

Last edited:
I think the quarterly profits of BP/Shell etc being around $9-12bn may give you a clue.
BP and Shell are maiking massive profits but i'm also failing to understand how the same company less than 20 miles away can charge 7.5% more when ordinarily they would be within 1p - 3p of each other

BP and Shell are maiking massive profits but i'm also failing to understand how the same company less than 20 miles away can charge 7.5% more when ordinarily they would be within 1p - 3p of each other
Some petrol stations operate on a franchise basis, so set their own prices. This can sometimes explain discrepancies locally.

Hopefully we'll hear some positive (energy help) news in the next couple of days. I heard on the radio that it will be a big package, more than what we'd expect. Who knows, fingers crossed, time is running out.

Maybe ask them on their twitter or Facebook account?

Maybe ask them on their twitter or Facebook account?
Going to send over an email to Ken Murphy, CEO of Tesco. Would expect it to be ignored but will include some other email addresses as well to see if that ensures a better response rate.

We're going the full trapper hat and thermals this winter and are really getting into saving power at the moment. Apparently air fryers are a fraction of the cost of an oven. Does anyone use one and are they any good
I was gifted an air fryer in the past and thought it was crap, gave that back.

We have a multi ninja thing that is a pressure cooker and air fryer (amongst other functions). it isn't big enough for a family meal IMHO. 2 people probably OK.
Also need to consider the counter top space, these things aren't small.

We're going the full trapper hat and thermals this winter and are really getting into saving power at the moment. Apparently air fryers are a fraction of the cost of an oven. Does anyone use one and are they any good

I bought one last year and they're a lot quicker than an oven. As for saving energy, I really don't know because I don't have a Smart meter to judge, but like you, I heard they were more energy efficient. All in all they're pretty good and they're pretty cheap to buy.

I was gifted an air fryer in the past and thought it was crap, gave that back.

We have a multi ninja thing that is a pressure cooker and air fryer (amongst other functions). it isn't big enough for a family meal IMHO. 2 people probably OK.
Also need to consider the counter top space, these things aren't small.

Valid points...... I like mine but if you have a large familly then maybe not and they do take up a lot of space.

Luckily we have a small utility room with things we don't want on display in the kitchen ; washing machine, dryer coffee machine, microwave and boiler so it can go in there. A downside I've discovered is they are all it seems made in China. As well as trying to save on the use of power I'm trying not to buy anything from China, which is quite difficult.

Back