• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

A lot of you would have seen the article in many papers saying the cost of a pint could go up to anything as much as £20 in the winter due to energy hikes, to keep them going. I think this will be the death of many pubs. People will already be keeping the little spare money they have in their pockets. Most certainly won't pay over £10 for a pint. This is also very worrying for a lot of businesses, as they will have to put up prices to pay their energy bills and survive. But we the public can't afford these new much higher prices to keep them all going. The winter of discontent in 1978/79 will have nothing on this one coming up. They're even suggesting black outs and rationing of electricity. If you was born after the blackouts of the early 70s, I can tell you, it's not fun. Kids found it fun the first few nights, but that soon wore off as the freezing cold set in. As a teenager, I was bored s/less during power blackouts. I don't know how this lot will cope without wifi, laptops and TV, Lol. There was also many accidents and fires due to candles or oil/paraffin heaters. So let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I predict we will see more people drinking cans on the go or just hanging around in public.

Managed to get the daily use of gas and electricity to below a pound yesterday. Now we are on a fixed tariff which runs till next autumn and it is just the 2 of us and obviously the central heating is off but I was quite pleased. We are unplugging the TV and computer at night (never did before) adjusted the boiler settings (although new this year it was on high set by the plumber) and only doing full washing machine and dishwasher. Main user of electricity is the new fridge freezer which is probably too big for us but looks great (a US style). We always see how long we can go without turning on the heating but this year we're going to try even harder.

Given a choice between a pint for £10 in a warm pub, or a pint for £4 in a cold pub I'd sooner the later and keep my coat on. Think a few country pubs might be getting stocked up with logs for their fires.
This is very interesting. I was reminiscing with the wife and although pubs in my youth were heated (I think) I can't remember taking off my coat in winter when inside a pub. Might just be my imagination but we coped with a lot less heat in the old days with jumpers and coats not forgetting gloves, scarves and hats

This is very interesting. I was reminiscing with the wife and although pubs in my youth were heated (I think) I can't remember taking off my coat in winter when inside a pub. Might just be my imagination but we coped with a lot less heat in the old days with jumpers and coats not forgetting gloves, scarves and hats
Luxury. We used to take a candle to melt the beer!

What's the odds that people will find money for fireworks from the middle of October ?
And the petrol money to drive little Brooklyn and Chelsea the half mile to school.

I now coincide my fuel fill up with a home game at Southend. That way even if we lose i'm still smiling about the price i've paid for my fuel which I get after the game.

If needed I "top up" whilst at work in Witham Morrisons or Esso but that's about 6p a litre more. Still beats the price of my usual fill up point at Tesco Pitsea though. Currently 168.9p

nice! Sainsburys was 155 something this morning, which I was surprised about as it seems in the past week or so prices almost everywhere crept up by about 5p.
We were up at Dedham yesterday and the pumps on the A12 on the way up were advertising anything from 168.9 to 175.9, robbing gits.

The US $ is on the slight slide, after big leaps, against the £ and €, this will help and slow inflationary pressures.

AND

Wait until the profits are announced by solar and wind electricity generating companies, they will be huge: there ought to be mass anger as those companies have been blessed with subsidies and great weather conditions, produced electricity cheaper than ever yet get to charge consumers the price tarrifs related to gas, oil and nuclear producers ching ching ching for them!

The US $ is on the slight slide, after big leaps, against the £ and €, this will help and slow inflationary pressures.

AND

Wait until the profits are announced by solar and wind electricity generating companies, they will be huge: there ought to be mass anger as those companies have been blessed with subsidies and great weather conditions, produced electricity cheaper than ever yet get to charge consumers the price tarrifs related to gas, oil and nuclear producers ching ching ching for them!
Many of the solar and wind generating companies lock in long term contracts to sell the electricity, it lowers the risk of building the things then prices falling. The contracts are multi year and are inflation linked, so they will have some uplift in revenue but not multiples. The other contracts they have are with the government - these are contracts for differences, if electricity price goes below a set level, govt subsidises back to the set level, if prices go above the set price the operator pays the difference to the govt. So with these the govt are making out like bandits, can't remember the latest number I heard, but it was billions of pounds.

The only way a solar/wind operator will make out like bandits is if they took the risk to construct the plants without any hedging - I doubt there are many of those.

nice! Sainsburys was 155 something this morning, which I was surprised about as it seems in the past week or so prices almost everywhere crept up by about 5p.
Rayleigh Weir?. I drove past there at 8.45am today, & it was £1.57.9p.
( i was returning home after flying back from N.Y overnight. Their current price is £3.60p per gallon on current exchange rates, & they are moaning like hell about that!!. ).

Energy cap will be £2,500 for the next 2 years from October for households. Note if you use less than the typical usage then you pay less, and if you use more then you pay more.
Business will be capped for 6 months

Back