• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Govt has limited the unit charge and standing charge for domestic customers for 2 years, was announced last Thursday. Without that the large increase would've happened.
I know they set the cap at £2500 per year but wasn't sure how it would affect the kwh rate or standing charge based on the estimate that bills will go up 27%
Neither my kwh or standing charge have gone up by 27% so I'm pretty happy

The current price cap will be replaced by a roughly 27% higher 'price guarantee rate' set to last for two years – taking a typical bill from £1,971/yr to £2,500
There is a maximum daily fee and cost per energy unit that providers can charge

Just compared my current Gas and Electric tariffs to what they will be from 1st October and there isn't the massive jump i expected
Electric

Kwh
Now 27.84
New 29.24

Standing charge
Now 36.11p per day
New 37.92p per day

Gas

Kwh
Now 6.994
New 7.344

Standing charge
Now 25.92p per day
New 27.22p per day
Sorry to bring bad news but that isn't your new price, it's your current one.

I'm guessing you took the 27.84 from your last statement and saw 29.24 on the website. Statements report the tariff before VAT whilst the website reports after VAT, VAT for energy is 5%, if you add 5% on to 27.84 you get 29.24. You haven't been given your new price yet.

Sorry to bring bad news but that isn't your new price, it's your current one.

I'm guessing you took the 27.84 from your last statement and saw 29.24 on the website. Statements report the tariff before VAT whilst the website reports after VAT, VAT for energy is 5%, if you add 5% on to 27.84 you get 29.24. You haven't been given your new price yet.
I have been given the new price from October 1st so yes it's my new price.
The VAT is on top but not overly bothered about 5%

By who? The new numbers you've given are just the old numbers plus VAT, they don't look to have changed.
My supplier, EDF. I'll check with them again

Edit - Prices slightly higher than expected. Seems the app is rather misleading. Thanks for flagging it.

I'm in the process of having my old warm air heating ripped out along with the immersion heater and having a combi boiler fitted. That should use more gas than electric and as Gas is cheaper than Electric, that should save a bit over the winter

Electric

Kwh
Now 29.24
New 35.05

Standing charge
Now 37.92
New 38.94

Gas

Kwh
Now 7.377
New 10.309

Standing charge
Now 27. 22
New 28.48

Last edited:
Toomeys is a petrol station that just keeps on giving. :Dizzy:
They aren't silly. You go there for cheaper petrol but while queueing up you fancy a chocolate bar or some crisps or your need a bit of shopping. The prices for all these are extortionate and that's where they really make the money

They aren't silly. You go there for cheaper petrol but while queueing up you fancy a chocolate bar or some crisps or your need a bit of shopping. The prices for all these are extortionate and that's where they really make the money
I just run into the shop with my eyes tight shut until I bump into the till, pay for my fuel and stumble out again eyes shut. It works for me, ****es others off in the queue when I bump into them though.:Smile2:

I had a KFC fro brunch at tarpots.

I had the same meal the same day for lunch at a KFC at Watford gap services and it cost 28% more.

At this rate a Zinger burger will cost thousands of pounds by the end of the month.
I might be wrong here but I think this has to do with the fixed costs at a particular site, feeding into the product prices. Ground rent or business rates will likely be much higher at Watford Gap Services than at Tarpots (among other things possibly) hence the price difference. I stand to be corrected on that though.

£149.9 at Toomeys and they are queuing to get in.....so very English

Last edited:
Interesting to see on the French news last night that enegy price increases from January will be capped at 15 % .Im far from being a Macron supporter but with French inflation currently at 6% (it's above 10% in the UK and Spain) I suspect he must be doing sometning right.Thoughts?

Interesting to see on the French news last night that enegy price increases from January will be capped at 15 % .Im far from being a Macron supporter but with French inflation currently at 6% (it's above 10% in the UK and Spain) I suspect he must be doing sometning right.Thoughts?
Macron gets a lot wrong, the french position to Putin and Ukraine isn't good?

Last edited:
Better position to do something on energy with all the nuclear power stations they have. Even Germany‘s inflation rate is still rising, pushing up towards 9pct

Back