• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Slow cookers are pretty good. You'd be surprised at what you can cook in a slow cooker and i'm sure its the same power output as a standard household bulb. We have a 6.5 Sear and Stew which has a hob proof cooking pot, thus less washing up if you want to brown some mince / steak before adding to the slow cooker etc

We do batch cooking and portion off the remainder for freezing

Slow cookers are pretty good. You'd be surprised at what you can cook in a slow cooker and i'm sure its the same power output as a standard household bulb. We have a 6.5 Sear and Stew which has a hob proof cooking pot, thus less washing up if you want to brown some mince / steak before adding to the slow cooker etc

We do batch cooking and portion off the remainder for freezing

Pressure cookers are great as well.

Thanks for this.I hadn't noted Rob's post.Nor did I mention Spain's subsidized public tranport (following Germany's eg*).FWIW ,I'd expect an announcement soon in the UK,concerning cheaper fuel rebates for OAP's + targeted support for those on income support.

*free for regular users and pensioners like me plus substantial reductions for occasional users.(I'm remiinded of when I did my "gap year" on Eastern National buses in SOS.we always used to call pensioneras with their free bus passes "twerlies" ie= are we too nearly to use the pass? which kicked in at 10AM. :Smile:
In Cornwall we can use our bus passes at any time :Clap:

Update.
The cheapest places to buy unleaded are:

• BP Rochford - 153.9p
  • Jet Rochford - 156.7p
  • Tesco Southend Extra - 156.9p
  • Sainsburys Rayleigh Weir - 157.9p
  • Jet Stanford-le-Hope - 161.9p
* Prices correct as of September 5

RAC spokesman Rod Dennis said: “Twelve pence a litre is a lot to come off prices in a single month so there’s no doubt things could be worse, but in reality drivers of petrol vehicles are still invariably getting a raw deal at the pumps.

“For whatever reason, major retailers are choosing not to pass on in full the reductions in the wholesale price of unleaded they’ve been benefiting from for some considerable time.

“There is a very strong case for the biggest sellers of fuel to cut their forecourt petrol prices further.

I get the tumble dryer thing, which I'm really guilty of because my dog malts so much, the tumble dryer gets hairs off of everything. He's booked into the poodle parlour on Thursday so problem solved for a few months :)

The oven is quite high on the list, maybe an air fryer is a better option??

It's very much an eye opener, we're all going to try new idea's this Winter and see what works for us.

One thing is few sure, I'll put the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, that's it, just to take the chill off. That's sooooooo not right living in a first World Country.

Apparently air fryers are a fraction of the cost of an oven. Does anyone use one and are they any good
I have one. It's brilliant and easily cooks a full meal for 2 or 3 or a joint.
I have the large round glass one (made by Daewoo) not to be confused with the smaller single ones. IIRC, I paid about £60 for it about 5 years ago.

All these petrol prices coming down wish Diesel would come down to nearer that price. At some garages it’s 20p+ more expensive than petrol.

Reactions: tia
All these petrol prices coming down wish Diesel would come down to nearer that price. At some garages it’s 20p+ more expensive than petrol.
Agree totally.Also vast majority of the lorries that transport all the things we consume are Diesel which must contribute to prices of all things going up

A lot of you would have seen the article in many papers saying the cost of a pint could go up to anything as much as £20 in the winter due to energy hikes, to keep them going. I think this will be the death of many pubs. People will already be keeping the little spare money they have in their pockets. Most certainly won't pay over £10 for a pint. This is also very worrying for a lot of businesses, as they will have to put up prices to pay their energy bills and survive. But we the public can't afford these new much higher prices to keep them all going. The winter of discontent in 1978/79 will have nothing on this one coming up. They're even suggesting black outs and rationing of electricity. If you was born after the blackouts of the early 70s, I can tell you, it's not fun. Kids found it fun the first few nights, but that soon wore off as the freezing cold set in. As a teenager, I was bored s/less during power blackouts. I don't know how this lot will cope without wifi, laptops and TV, Lol. There was also many accidents and fires due to candles or oil/paraffin heaters. So let's hope it doesn't come to that.

A lot of you would have seen the article in many papers saying the cost of a pint could go up to anything as much as £20 in the winter due to energy hikes, to keep them going. I think this will be the death of many pubs. People will already be keeping the little spare money they have in their pockets. Most certainly won't pay over £10 for a pint. This is also very worrying for a lot of businesses, as they will have to put up prices to pay their energy bills and survive. But we the public can't afford these new much higher prices to keep them all going. The winter of discontent in 1978/79 will have nothing on this one coming up. They're even suggesting black outs and rationing of electricity. If you was born after the blackouts of the early 70s, I can tell you, it's not fun. Kids found it fun the first few nights, but that soon wore off as the freezing cold set in. As a teenager, I was bored s/less during power blackouts. I don't know how this lot will cope without wifi, laptops and TV, Lol. There was also many accidents and fires due to candles or oil/paraffin heaters. So let's hope it doesn't come to that.
One hopes alot of this is scare mongering ****e from the press - presenting worst case scenarios as the base case

Back