• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Dave Smith Southend United Manager RIP

23 home games that season, we won 19 & drew 4. Never dropped a point until Dec/Jan.
Only season since i started going in 67, that we had an unbeaten home record.
When he got Plymouth promoted, i wrote to him congratulating him, & got a reply signed 'the cider man', as he was called there!.
R.I.P Dave, top man.
IIRC we only let in 8 goals at home that season.

Only just seen this. šŸ˜¢ Dave was the Manager of the first SUFC I ever saw back in 77/78 season IIRC.

Great memories of 80/81 Championship win and that Liverpool game (an ā€˜I was there momentā€™!)

Great times

RIP Dave !

The first manager I can remember, and certainly one of the best. I have forgotten many players since, but I can recall nearly all his.

Hopefully the club website will have a suitable tribute in due course.

Dave Smith always seemed to have mostly success. In 1969 he was the coach at Newcastle when they won the Fairs Cup. Then he went on to be the assistant coach to Don Howe at Arsenal in 1971 when they won the League and the FA Cup doing the double. In 1974 he got his first Managers job. He took over struggling Mansfield. They had just avoided re-election from the 4th Division. But incredibly, he took them to the 4th Division title with very little money, winning by six points the very next season(Remember, two points for a win in those days). without losing a home game. He always spoke about making your home ground a fortress. He did it at Southend. Luckily for Southend, he fell out with the Directors at Mansfield when he asked them for money to be able to push on with the club, and was refused, so he resigned. So he came to us in 1976, and the rest is history. Some of the very best times being a Southend supporter.

A side story, from John Gibson.
Three of my colleagues at the Fairs Club - Bill Gibbs, Derek Richardson and Brian Wilkinson - had traced Dave to Skipton where he now lives having continued to reside in the Plymouth area for so many years after retirement. Thus armed they travelled down to present him with a specially made black and white inscribed cap to commemorate that epic 1969 victory, the last time Newcastle won a major trophy. While we had all received one, Dave had been on the 'missing' list.

We talked long and enthusiastically of the many happy memories we shared travelling the continent that memorable season and my trip to Plymouth where Smith was king.

"Aye Gibbo they were great times," he said his smile radiating down the line. "No one can take them away. It's been a terrific life. Football has been good to many of us."

I reminded Dave of one episode in particular which he recalled vividly. We had just played Real Zaragoza on New Year's Day - yeah, some timing for an away game in deepest Spain - when I received a tip off in my hotel room that something interesting was happening in the foyer so off I raced downstairs. There I found two burly pistol-packing Spanish cops in agitated conversation with Dave Smith and United's winger Jim Scott. Eventually the club interpreter was called and passports carefully examined.
It turned out that the police were looking for two Englishmen called Smith and Scott who
had absconded from custody and they were convinced United's pair were the guilty men. "I wouldn't care but two canny Scots being taken for Englishmen really hurt," moaned Dave.

RIP Dave Smith, Great Bloke and Manager. I have fond memories of Dave walking round the pitch at away games waving at us
Also met Dave at Half time at Ipswich v QPR League Cup match (I was a guest at that game)
I approached Dave and told him I was a Southend United Fan, I am 6ā€™3ā€ Tall , he looked at me ,shook my hand and Said you could be a great Center Half son! Never forgot it. šŸ’™šŸ’™

Last edited:
I must admit, I don't remember us beating Fulham 4-0 away. What year was that? Are you thinking about the early 90s when we won 3-0 there in Division Three?

Last edited:
Dave Smith always seemed to have mostly success. In 1969 he was the coach at Newcastle when they won the Fairs Cup. Then he went on to be the assistant coach to Don Howe at Arsenal in 1971 when they won the League and the FA Cup doing the double. In 1974 he got his first Managers job. He took over struggling Mansfield. They had just avoided re-election from the 4th Division. But incredibly, he took them to the 4th Division title with very little money, winning by six points the very next season(Remember, two points for a win in those days). without losing a home game. He always spoke about making your home ground a fortress. He did it at Southend. Luckily for Southend, he fell out with the Directors at Mansfield when he asked them for money to be able to push on with the club, and was refused, so he resigned. So he came to us in 1976, and the rest is history. Some of the very best times being a Southend supporter.

A side story, from John Gibson.
Three of my colleagues at the Fairs Club - Bill Gibbs, Derek Richardson and Brian Wilkinson - had traced Dave to Skipton where he now lives having continued to reside in the Plymouth area for so many years after retirement. Thus armed they travelled down to present him with a specially made black and white inscribed cap to commemorate that epic 1969 victory, the last time Newcastle won a major trophy. While we had all received one, Dave had been on the 'missing' list.

We talked long and enthusiastically of the many happy memories we shared travelling the continent that memorable season and my trip to Plymouth where Smith was king.

"Aye Gibbo they were great times," he said his smile radiating down the line. "No one can take them away. It's been a terrific life. Football has been good to many of us."

I reminded Dave of one episode in particular which he recalled vividly. We had just played Real Zaragoza on New Year's Day - yeah, some timing for an away game in deepest Spain - when I received a tip off in my hotel room that something interesting was happening in the foyer so off I raced downstairs. There I found two burly pistol-packing Spanish cops in agitated conversation with Dave Smith and United's winger Jim Scott. Eventually the club interpreter was called and passports carefully examined.
It turned out that the police were looking for two Englishmen called Smith and Scott who
had absconded from custody and they were convinced United's pair were the guilty men. "I wouldn't care but two canny Scots being taken for Englishmen really hurt," moaned Dave.

Dave Smith Fairs Cup.jpg
Dave Smith after receiving his Fairs Cup Cap

Season 1980-81 we didn't drop a point at home until the 23rd of January!

Wonderful times to have followed the Blues.

Dave Smith RIP

Last edited:
Hi , See The Big Dady Post (Page 1)
It must have been 1980-81 Season. We won the league and we went Top on that day at Fulham. Great Away Support then as well! COYB.UTB RIP Dave Smith.
Fulham werenā€™t in our Division that season, they were a league above us.

Back