• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Dave Smith Southend United Manager RIP

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
Shrimpers lose one of their own, Southend United's manger Dave Smith 1976-83 has passed away at the age of 88.

Dave took us up as Champions in the 1980-81 season one of the most successful seasons in the club's history as they won the Fourth Division Championship in 1981, breaking a series of over 20 club records in the process. This was our clubs first ever trophy in the Football League.

That season we won 30 out of 46 games, scoring 79 goals a conceding just 31 goals. Who will forget those two games against Liverpool in 79?

Dave Smith RIP.jpg
RIP Dave Smith Southend United Manager 1976-83

Southend United 1980-81 Champions.jpg
Dave Smith's winning side promoted as Champions 1980-81

RIP Dave Smith lifting the Trophy.jpg
Dave Smith (Manager) lifting the Trophy with John Lattimer (Trainer)

Dave Smith 1933-2022.jpg

Great memories of this man and the very special team he put together, quite possibly our best ever.

A truly great Southend manager who will be remembered fondly by all of us lucky enough to be Shrimpers during his reign. Weirdly, one of my abiding memories of Dave Smith was his cameo appearance every week at the start of Match of the Day. He'd be there on the bench and I'd watch that and think that's our manager on Match of the Day, always a proud watch moment! RIP Dave, I hope you're pacing the manager's area in front of the Southend stand in the sky now.

Shrimpers lose one of their own, Southend United's manger Dave Smith 1976-83 has passed away at the age of 88. Dave took us up as Champions in the 1980-81 season one of the most successful seasons in the club's history as they won the Fourth Division Championship in 1981, breaking a series of club records in the process. This was our clubs first ever trophy in the Football League. That season we won 30 out of 46 games, scoring 79 goals a conceding just 31 goals. Who will forget those two games against Liverpool in 79?

View attachment 22009
RIP Dave Smith Southend United Manager 1976-83

View attachment 22010
Dave Smith's winning side promoted as Champions 1980-81

View attachment 22011
Dave Smith lifting the Trophy

23 home games that season, we won 19 & drew 4. Never dropped a point until Dec/Jan.
Only season since i started going in 67, that we had an unbeaten home record.
When he got Plymouth promoted, i wrote to him congratulating him, & got a reply signed 'the cider man', as he was called there!.
R.I.P Dave, top man.

A top Shrimper, a true gent, and loved equally at other clubs too.

That 1978 match of the day match at Watford, that night in the snow v Liverpool, that fantastic record breaking 80-81 season ... so many memories.

He put together small squads of quality that fought for each other, and it was a wonderful day in March 2019 when we held 'Smithy's Army Day' at Roots Hall with 20 of his players again coming together.

RIP Dave

As someone has already said ...it also forged my love for the blues watching dave smiths sides...my condolences to his family ...
Dave Smith knew how to build teams ...I always wished he had been the man to get us
To the promised land ( 2nd division as it was called then ) we went on a great run towards
The end of 81 /82 season and were in with a shout of getting promoted ..I think in the end we came 7th . It was the rubin brothers who cashed in on cusack and outalakawski ( if I spelt that right ) to Millwall for peanuts , that disgruntled him ..we should have kept him as manager ..I think the club sacked him by fax when he was on holiday with his wife !!

R:I:P. Dave , condolences to his nearest and dearest,

David Smith’s Red Blue and white army
( as a bye note was this the only time we had red in our scarves?)

Apparently if Dave Smith had an backing, he would ended up taking Southend all the way into First Division for first time ever!!

R.I.P. someone that is deserving of legendary status both at S.U.F.C., Plymouth and football in general. For those too young we’ve had far too many managers that we’ve wanted to forget. Smith ranks as one of the best ever and a minute’s silence doesn’t do justice. He was still giving back to football long after retiring as a football manager.

Applause on 23 or 81 minutes would be a fitting tribute.

Back