• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

I know not everyone has got oodles of savings in the bank but the interest rates for savers have been sneaking up as well. A few of the best i've found are below

Easy Access Savings Accounts
Yorkshire Building Society = 2.5% (Although only allows 2 withdrawals per year so hardly easy access)
Charter Savings = 2.25%
Barclays Rainy Day Saver = 5.12% (Needs its current account)

6 month fixed savings
United Trust Bank = 3.12%
Atom Bank = 2.65%

1 year Fixed savings
Atom Bank = 4.11%
Hampshire Trust Bank = 4.02%
Virgin Money = 4%
Shawbrook Bank = 4%

You may well have better returns on the markets rather than cash, but with the markets the way it is it's only going to take another poorly thought out government policy or another government u-Turn to affect the markets again, and the old adage applies "The value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you originally invested"

So if I’m reading that right, £74k counts as the “lower end of the pay scale”. Blimey. No idea why people say bankers are paid too much 😉

Banks are like football clubs - there are relatively few very high earners.

If you picked 100 random commuters off the C2C on any given day I suspect the majority would earn closer to £50k.

That may sound like a lot of money...until you consider commuting costs and the hours worked. I would guess a decent plumber or electrician could make that quite easily.

Last edited:
Slightly annoyed that BP Rochford petrol has gone up to 1.519. Although this has been offset by seeing Tesco Prince Avenue selling it for 1.499

Guess the pound / dollar issue has stopped the gradual decline in prices fir the time being.

Slightly annoyed that BP Rochford petrol has gone up to 1.519. Although this has been offset by seeing Tesco Prince Avenue selling it for 1.499

Guess the pound / dollar issue has stopped the gradual decline in prices fir the time being.

Pound is now the highest it's been v dollar for a month or so

Farm Foods, pack of 6 crumpets, 39p, Waitrose special offer pack of six crumpets 80p.

Who doesn't love a butter, toasted crumpet with honey on it?

Two crumpet snack via FF is a bargain!
Never tried crumpets with honey, will give it a go!

£900 is about the starting price .. people are charging £600 for a room in a house in Basildon. You’re lucky finding a place to rent anywhere in the South East for under a grand that isn’t a shoebox.
Friend of mine rents a room out for £475 and that's cheap (Benfleet) and it]s a decent place. One-bed flat Corringham - £1,000 a month. Just how do people afford it?

If you picked 100 random commuters off the C2C on any given day I suspect the majority would earn closer to £50k.

That may sound like a lot of money...until you consider commuting costs and the hours worked. I would guess a decent plumber or electrician could make that quite easily.
My older son is at HSBC, not a mega-earner, and has had a pay freeze for the last 3 years.

Agree. There’s a myth all London workers are loaded etc. A lot of it is based in classism. Nobody really cares that the house prices in Surrey and bucks are incredibly high and lots of people there are city workers. But the minute Essex people earn above average (still nowhere near the top) people seem to have real issues. No matter the government the actual rich will be fine...

Agree. There’s a myth all London workers are loaded etc. A lot of it is based in classism. Nobody really cares that the house prices in Surrey and bucks are incredibly high and lots of people there are city workers. But the minute Essex people earn above average (still nowhere near the top) people seem to have real issues. No matter the government the actual rich will be fine...
My comment was tongue in cheek about £74k being “lower end of the pay scale” according to the poster. Personally I couldn’t care less what bankers earn and fair play to anyone who gets a decent wage, they’ve earned it. Interested to know where the comment about Essex people comes from and people having issues. Which people? I certainly don’t think London workers are loaded, I worked in the City for years and I’m not. A season ticket isn’t cheap!

100% I've worked in the Lloyd's market for a long time and where you start in the company very much depends on your background. If you get in on the graduate programmes you are laughing but you have to be from the right university/school etc. If you get in on the apprentice program then you are on a very low salary and are probably very capable. If ever I am given a choice of someone to come work with me I'll always choose someone from the apprentices. The graduates have been educated to think they know everything already and are very hard to work with and will do what they want. The apprentices work hard and really want to learn.
I'm not a fan of entitlement when it is not earned.

100% I've worked in the Lloyd's market for a long time and where you start in the company very much depends on your background. If you get in on the graduate programmes you are laughing but you have to be from the right university/school etc. If you get in on the apprentice program then you are on a very low salary and are probably very capable. If ever I am given a choice of someone to come work with me I'll always choose someone from the apprentices. The graduates have been educated to think they know everything already and are very hard to work with and will do what they want. The apprentices work hard and really want to learn.
I'm not a fan of entitlement when it is not earned.
Yeah, agreed.
I have a degree but def dont think I’m better than anybody else. That world looks quite intimidating and cut throat although you could say the same about the local tennis club and pretty much all industries 😂😂

The days of Essex boys and girls leaving school , working their way into front office jobs and earning a big money are long gone.

The days of Essex boys and girls leaving school , working their way into front office jobs and earning a big money are long gone.
How do you mean? As in people need degrees nowadays to get these jobs? Who’s doing them now?

My comment was tongue in cheek about £74k being “lower end of the pay scale” according to the poster. Personally I couldn’t care less what bankers earn and fair play to anyone who gets a decent wage, they’ve earned it. Interested to know where the comment about Essex people comes from and people having issues. Which people? I certainly don’t think London workers are loaded, I worked in the City for years and I’m not. A season ticket isn’t cheap!
Just what I pick up from social media tbf. A lot of negativity out there. Seen it in regards to bankers. Never hear how ‘terrible’ Surrey bankers/city workers are etc etc. Or if you do it’s much less prevalent. The Essex stereotype has been around for decades though aha so it sort of applies to all areas of life people like to make jokes/be rude depending on how you take it. It’s nothing too serious just find it a bit tiresome.

How do you mean? As in people need degrees nowadays to get these jobs? Who’s doing them now?
Yes you need a degree and if you want to work for one of the more prestigious banks then it needs to be from a good university.

Sales and trading isn't too snobby but if you want to work in wealth management or on the investment bank side of things then having attended the right school helps a lot.

Most people join the firm after doing an internship and competition for places is fierce.

Yes you need a degree and if you want to work for one of the more prestigious banks then it needs to be from a good university.

Sales and trading isn't too snobby but if you want to work in wealth management or on the investment bank side of things then having attended the right school helps a lot.

Most people join the firm after doing an internship and competition for places is fierce.
Yeah graduate jobs are so competitive. Tests, interviews, observations. Remember when I was at uni the hoops people had to go through! Felt so lazy not going for them aha but not really my scene.

Just what I pick up from social media tbf. A lot of negativity out there. Seen it in regards to bankers. Never hear how ‘terrible’ Surrey bankers/city workers are etc etc. Or if you do it’s much less prevalent. The Essex stereotype has been around for decades though aha so it sort of applies to all areas of life people like to make jokes/be rude depending on how you take it. It’s nothing too serious just find it a bit tiresome.
Ah .. the age old Essex stereotyping, see what you’re getting at now. Yeah it’s been around as long as I’ve been alive .. white stilettos, wide boys, fake tans, range rovers etc. Certain tv programmes haven’t helped though! Still possible to make a good living and earn very decent money and come from Essex. I just chose the wrong career haha!

Toomey's E10 petrol price had crept up a few pence to £153.9p when I filled up today. Still a world away from Toddington's offering.

Yes, aha. Although for some reason the towie people are popular 😂😂 heard the show started off trying to make fun of them but they seem to have done well out of it if that’s your idea of success?!!
Yes, well having to tighten belts here, can be quite innovative when it comes to meal ideas and diy desserts 😂😂

Had an email from eon. Says my dd will be reducing because of the £400 govt grant. They're reducing my Mar to Oct dd by £50. That's 6 dd's * 50 = £300. Where's the other £100?

Anyone else's utility company doing something different?
EDF are just putting £400 back in my bank account over the next 6 months though Octobers refund hasn't hit my account yet

Back