• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Having a quick nose at the Rental Market, that's fallen flat on it's face, it has sinse Covid, but even worse now. No one is moving it seems.
Yeah itā€™s all looking messy. Possibly a massive house price collpase? Iā€™d love to move to either Norfolk or West Country but worried that those types of areas will become less welcoming in future. I.e. People wanting to keep it less densely populated etc. Locals wanting to stay put. Could just be me being paranoid. Essex is certainly getting a lot of new homes thatā€™s fine but gets to a point when it gets too much.

Yeah itā€™s all looking messy. Possibly a massive house price collpase? Iā€™d love to move to either Norfolk or West Country but worried that those types of areas will become less welcoming in future. I.e. People wanting to keep it less densely populated etc. Locals wanting to stay put. Could just be me being paranoid. Essex is certainly getting a lot of new homes thatā€™s fine but gets to a point when it gets too much.

I get why thats on your list, it's a lovely part of the Country. You're right, it isn't cheap and never has been.

Let's be honest the last 3 years have been a nightmare, when you think we've turned a corner, something else comes up.

It makes you think how historians will call this period in time a hundred years from now, it's completly bonkers.

Never sinse WWII has the Country gome through such turmoil.

Not
I get why thats on your list, it's a lovely part of the Country. You're right, it isn't cheap and never has been.

Let's be honest the last 3 years have been a nightmare, when you think we've turned a corner, something else comes up.

It makes you think how historians will call this period in time a hundred years from now, it's completly bonkers.

Never sinse WWII has the Country gome through such turmoil.
agreed. Every week a new crisis.

Having a quick nose at the Rental Market, that's fallen flat on it's face, it has sinse Covid, but even worse now. No one is moving it seems.
We are hoping to sell our place to some investors who are looking to rent out our place. It is just a one bed place. Really hoping they don't pull out of the sale. We are so close to exchange of contracts. I hate this damn country sometimes.

A lot of landlords have left the rental market recently due to increased taxation on rent income, as a result the landlords that have stayed in the game have been able to charge ridiculous prices and still get takers because there aren't enough properties to go round at the moment.

A lot of landlords have left the rental market recently due to increased taxation on rent income, as a result the landlords that have stayed in the game have been able to charge ridiculous prices and still get takers because there aren't enough properties to go round at the moment.
All we want is to sell, so we can move into our place and start a family :(

I feel for everyone in the market at the moment, and most people in the UK in general!

The prices are very high and not affordable for the average person.

A one bed flat in Leigh, people are asking Ā£900, that's a joke.

Following installation of smart meter my monthly energy bills will be rising from Ā£179 to Ā£306

I've never really understood how smart meters save you money. Ours sits in the utility room, I barely ever look at it. I get that they give you a better understanding of your energy consumption, but it's not like I look at it and think: "Oh, I'm not going to put the kettle on now."

The prices are very high and not affordable for the average person.

A one bed flat in Leigh, people are asking Ā£900, that's a joke.
Ā£900 is about the starting price .. people are charging Ā£600 for a room in a house in Basildon. Youā€™re lucky finding a place to rent anywhere in the South East for under a grand that isnā€™t a shoebox.

Ā£900 is about the starting price .. people are charging Ā£600 for a room in a house in Basildon. Youā€™re lucky finding a place to rent anywhere in the South East for under a grand that isnā€™t a shoebox.

Yes I've seen that..... Looking at the London prices, you're looking at nearer 2k for a good one bed flat. Shocking.....

There's been some comments on here around utility company direct debits. I've never had a particular problem getting a direct debit set at what I want to pay - which has always been lower than the utility companies recommendation (I'd rather be in slight debt than credit). This week I got a notification from EDF that they want to increase my gas DD to Ā£141 from Ā£111 - this is my transcript to getting it changed - this was the most resistance I've had from a company - but it was still quite easy - all done over Whatsapp. I don't normally get particularly stroppy - but I'm abit stressed with work at the moment - but think was I was polite and respectful.

I hope that gives anyone questioning their direct debit the confidence to go and calculate how much they should be paying and set the direct debit to what they want.

26/09/2022, 21:16 - Matt: Hi. I've received notification of a revised direct debit for my gas account. I disagree with the amount of gas you estimate I'll use. Is it possible to reduce my direct debit to reflect the calculations I've made please.
26/09/2022, 21:16 - Edf: Welcome to messaging!

I'm eNZO, EDF's Virtual Assistant and there are certain things I can help you with.

If I can't answer your query I'll put you through to one of our human assistants.

If youā€™re messaging about the recent government announcement, you can find all the latest information on our website via the link below,

Our human assistants donā€™t have any further information at this time.
26/09/2022, 21:16 - Edf: *eNZO*
Just to check, you would like to change your Direct Debit amount?

A) Yes
B) No
26/09/2022, 21:16 - Matt: A
Great, and do you want to increase or decrease your payments?

A) Increase
B) Decrease
26/09/2022, 21:16 - Matt: B
Before you request to reduce your Direct Debit please remember that between October 2022 - March 2023 you will receive the Ā£400 government discount to help with your energy bills.
The first two discounts will be Ā£66 followed by four payments of Ā£67 and this will be refunded back to your bank account each month.

To request a reduction to your Direct Debit payment please log in to MyAccount using the below link and go to 'Tariff details' then 'Apply to change this amount'

Once we receive your request we will email you to confirm if the changes have been made.
Has your query been answered?
A) Yes
B) No
26/09/2022, 21:18 - Matt: There is no option to request a change
26/09/2022, 21:18 - Edf: *eNZO*
Sorry, I didn't get that.
Has your query been answered?
A) Yes
B) No
26/09/2022, 21:18 - Matt: B
Do you want to find out more about the current energy crisis and how this could affect you?

A) Yes
B) No
26/09/2022, 21:18 - Matt: B
Please can I have your account number? It's 12 digits and starts 67.
If you don't have it, just say 'No'

26/09/2022, 21:19 - Edf: *eNZO*
Thank you I have found your account, for security reasons I need to check some additional details.
Please can I have your surname

Please can I have your postcode

Excellent. Your account has been identified.
26/09/2022, 21:19 - Edf: Our agents usually reply within 14 hours. They are working extremely hard to do all they can to support you, so we do ask that you show kindness and respect to them today.
26/09/2022, 21:20 - Matt: Sure. I'd like to reduce my direct debit to 121 pounds per month
27/09/2022, 13:55 - Edf: *Arpo*
Hello there ,Thank you for contacting EDF Energy Messaging Services. I am sorry for delay in response.

When we set up your Direct Debit, we forecast an amount that we think you might be using for the entire year and then we divide that amount into 12 (months) to calculate your Direct Debit. This is why after every 6 months, we generate a bill to review if the payment that you are making towards the account is enough to cover for your ongoing usage and the balance on your account. In case we see that your payments are not enough for us to cover and you have a debit balance, we might increase your Direct Debit so that we can make sure you do not end up having a high debit balance at the time of your annual review, similarly any credit will get refunded automatically at the end of your annual review.
This also takes into consideration your average usage pattern, the weather condition (higher usage in winter and lower in summer) and your account balance after every scheduled bill.
27/09/2022, 13:56 - Matt: I have my usage records for the past 5 years. I've used your new unit rates. I think I should be paying less
27/09/2022, 15:11 - Edf: *Arpo*
Please understand the direct debit amount is based on your past usage , weather patterns and balance on the bill , Lowering the amount can result in your account to fall into huge debt
27/09/2022, 15:12 - Matt: How many kwh of gas have you used in your estimate?
27/09/2022, 15:35 - Edf: *Arpo*
we estimate that you will need to spend Ā£1,803.00
by the end of your next annual billing period.
27/09/2022, 15:36 - Matt: That's not what I asked. How many kwh of gas have you used to calculate that?
27/09/2022, 16:40 - Edf: *Arpo*
I am sorry Its is the amount that is estimated .and the same amount is divided by 12 months for calculating the monthly amount .
27/09/2022, 16:41 - Matt: Why can't you answer my question?
27/09/2022, 16:42 - Matt: You don't have authority to take whatever you like by direct debit - it has to be agreed
27/09/2022, 19:42 - Edf: *Arpo*
Please understand that the estimated amount is a system calculated amount however as you are the best person to understand your usage i will go ahead and reduce the the direct debit .
27/09/2022, 19:43 - Matt: Thanks very much
27/09/2022, 19:55 - Edf: *Arpo*
Kindly confirm the amount you ant to reduce the direct debit to
27/09/2022, 19:55 - Matt: I calculate 121 per month is about right
27/09/2022, 20:40 - Edf: *Arpo*
Not an issue I have gone ahead and set your direct debit at Ā£121 per month.

Yes my Dad lived next door to a HMO in Basildon. Lounge and dining room converted to bedrooms - meaning 5 bedrooms in total. They're rented out at Ā£600 per month per room. Ā£3k per month not a bad return on a property worth around Ā£250k.
If anyone fancies that we'll be selling my dad's house very soon, it does need full refurbishment though (but price will be much less than 250k)

I've never really understood how smart meters save you money. Ours sits in the utility room, I barely ever look at it. I get that they give you a better understanding of your energy consumption, but it's not like I look at it and think: "Oh, I'm not going to put the kettle on now."
They donā€™t / canā€™t, that just it, only you can save yourself moneyā€¦

Lot of villages in Devon now being ruined by overdevelopment and they powerless to stop it or slow it down. Most the horrid boxy newbuilds look totally out of place against the older local properties and not priced affordably for locals at all but to attract the ā€˜Escape to the Countryā€™ brigade. Itā€™s very sad.

British Gas have just advised that they are increasing my Direct Debit from Ā£347.00 per month to an eye watering Ā£440.00 per month, they do not seem to have taken into account that my account is already over Ā£1,200.00 in credit. :Angry:

British Gas have just advised that they are increasing my Direct Debit from Ā£347.00 per month to an eye watering Ā£440.00 per month, they do not seem to have taken into account that my account is already over Ā£1,200.00 in credit. :Angry:
Yes, Bulb have done similar to mine, I went on line to amend their projected dd amount and lowered it to the minimum I was allowed, but the hike is still approx 50%.
I had decided that 1st Oct would be heating allowed on day but think that will be put back to mid Oct at the earliest.

Back